Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Loki Says HELLO!!!!

Pentax people prepare yourself. You are about to be inundated with new cat pics. As of this afternoon I am the proud new cat mom of a 12 week old flame point boy kitten who I have named Loki after the Norse God of fun and mischief. Yes, the vet okayed it and no, he's not a pure bred but he sure looks like one. His cat Mom apparently was. She was a breeder's cat and got out. She tangoed with an orange tiger and got thrown out of the house for her indiscretion unfortunately, but all her kits apparently look just like her. First pic in a bit. I have to go run and get him regular litter because he was just altered yesterday and needs the regular kind for a while yet.

Right now he's hanging in his carrier on the bed with my Dad who he has totally wrapped around his little kitten paws already, and FYI, it's been maybe 2 hours since I brought him home. Girl kitty however is not impressed nor happy with me at the moment. She's under my bed sulking, and that despite an offer of tuna, lol. She'll get over it pretty quickly I think though with this one. He's an extremely affectionate and gregarious cat, and a perfect match for her Majesty.

He loves people and other cats so I doubt it won't be a couple of days before they are best buds. He's already wanting to be out of his carrier so he can go find her and play with her. Oh, and he's definitely a SIAMESE. He's a little drama king with the lungs of a cat Pavarotti. Boy does he let me know he's not happy when I can't hardly leave him alone for 5 mins! He's a total Mama's Boy, hehe. He head butts, he snuggles, he licks on you, he's a real love bug. My kind of cat. Grin...

First pic down below. More later. Not the greatest, too dark in there even with flash, but he's just been altered and vetted 2 days ago and he's clearly still not feeling 100% and I didn't want to take him out of the bathroom for a major shoot just yet. He's got the runs just a little bitfrom the stress of the adoption day thing. Probably from the crappy Purina kitten food they fed him at the shelter. Or maybe the anesthesia and all the shots he got. They did it all at once and that's lot to handle when you're a little guy. He's getting better, and he's looking very healthy otherwise, but he still needs to run to the box every once in a while real quick and I didn't want to take him so far from it today. The flash bothered him too so I just made it a quick snap.

His tail is under him but it's got orange-ish brown rings. I can't actually tell if he really is a red point or a brown point just yet. They said red and I do see some ginger maybe there but it still looks pretty brown to me too. I think it could darken to more of a brown point eventually. He is so pretty and he's such a happy little kitty. You go into the bathroom and he just lays on your feet, wraps his little paws around your toes, blissfully lays his head down like he's hugging you, looks up and purrs so loud you can hear it all around the room! He's so obviously thrilled to be out of the shelter, home with me, and finally loved it's adorable.

My girl is coming around a bit. She's still hanging under the bed mostly but she's come out to eat and used her box several times and she's been down there looking under the door as she passes by. think she just might have touched a paw but I'm not sure. She's still not completely happy he's here but her curiosity is getting the better of her and she's a bit less grumpy and hissy than she was, and I did not expect that today so that's a very good sign. I bet a week from now she'll be demanding I let him out of there so they can play, chasing him down the hall, laugh.

Last edited by magkelly; 09-01-2013 at 03:13 PM.
08-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats, I can't wait for baby - I mean kitten shots!
08-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Kitty!
08-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think he needs a night to settle down. He's very overtired and whiny, lol, but tomorrow I am going to take him out on the porch and get some good ones. Right now I'm just trying to get him to settle down and go to sleep for a bit because he has been way overstimulated all day today and it shows. There was a pet adoption fair today at the mall. I went into the pet store to get supplies for my girl and came out with pet supplies and a boy cat. I had to ask the vet there a few questions first, and get his back story from the shelter lady, but it was love at first sight and I knew just looking at him that his adorable little kitten butt was coming home with me.

You know it's funny I've seen a hundred cats probably since Feb when Iost my last boy cat. No big deal. Didn't want another one, wasn't looking, wasn't even remotely planning on going there, but then I saw him and it was just like YUP. THAT ONE. That's MINE. I kind of had to fight for him. There was a family that was seriously into him. They were asking about him. I had to say "yes" pretty darned quickly or I would have lost him. But he ignored them and came straight to me and climbed up my shirt, head butted me and licked me right under my chin, then snuggled into my arms, and that was THAT. Kisses and head butts? Immediate lap cat behavior? Perfect cat, IMHO.

I have so missed this. My girl she is very affectionate too but it's always on her time table and while she is kissy she's not a lap cat at all. She doesn't sleep with me or like to cuddle on the bed. She is an ankle rubber but she doesn't head butt really. I haven't had a cat cuddle with a head butting boy cat since my boy died in Feb and I have so missed that. Miss Independence is one of the great loves of my life but she's definitely her own cat and she only wants petting and attention when she wants it. She can be very anti-social when it suits her and that's actually most of the time. :P She's still under my bed, won't talk to me. I am so seriously in the cathouse at the moment. But she will have to come out and eat and use the box eventually. I'm going to fuss over her when she does. Let her know she's still top cat and my baby, but I have a feeling it might be a few days before she even deigns to talk to me let alone sit with me because I definitely surprised her today with boy cat and she is not so sure she's into this whole raising a boy kitten thing...

08-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This be his official classification. Flame/Red point is a nickname for cats like this. Whether his mother was a true Siamese or a hybrid is debatable if you're a breeder, but as far as I am concerned if he looks like this, he is. Besides any which way you look at it's all semantics. He's a shelter kitty, a mutt. His Mom may have been pedigreed but his Dad certainly wasn't. But he looks exactly like this. He's going to be so gorgeous when he's grown and his points finally darken all the way.

Colorpoint Shorthair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh and he has split toes on one of his feet. The pads are as they should be but two of his toes are divided into small toes. I'm not sure if this counts as polydactyly or not but it's interesting.

Last edited by magkelly; 08-31-2013 at 11:59 PM.
09-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
This be his official classification. Flame/Red point is a nickname for cats like this. Whether his mother was a true Siamese or a hybrid is debatable if you're a breeder, but as far as I am concerned if he looks like this, he is. Besides any which way you look at it's all semantics. He's a shelter kitty, a mutt. His Mom may have been pedigreed but his Dad certainly wasn't. But he looks exactly like this. He's going to be so gorgeous when he's grown and his points finally darken all the way.

Colorpoint Shorthair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh and he has split toes on one of his feet. The pads are as they should be but two of his toes are divided into small toes. I'm not sure if this counts as polydactyly or not but it's interesting.
Hrm, some of those guys look like Takuma here might fit the category, especially by personality and vocals. (Seen him yet, Mags?) We've always figured he's part Siamesey, though it's hard to capture the sort of dusky Siamesey undercoat on like his ears and stuff. He's a sweetie.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/165066-who-takuma-kajiwara-8.html#post2471152

Here's a linky so as not to steal Loki's thunder when you photo him. (Yes, he has dat most Pentaxian of kitty-names, partly from sitting on my photo gear, also cause when he got here, it was hard to guess his personality: he was bein' a needy kitten and all. So I thought why not. Though it was adorable when he could perch on a developing tank, he didn't look like a 'Mr. Paterson.' )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-01-2013 at 09:19 AM.
09-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new kitty. I have one that took to me the first second he saw me. We'd just lost one of a pair of brothers (feline leukemia) when our landlord asked us if we wanted the last kitten from a litter their 'farm cat' had given birth to. Unfortunately Mom cat had been run over by a car when the kittens were 4 weeks old so they were weaned early as a result. Four of us walked into the garage where he was being kept and he immediately let out a yowl and ran straight at me, climbed my jeans and settled on my shoulder where he kept banging his head off my chin (hard) while purring like a motor boat. Needless to say he came home with us.

We strongly suspect Dad was a Bengal as he is spotted rather than striped, has a much longer and taller body than a normal cat and has the classic Bengal thick and 'leathery' ears rather than the typical paper thin cat ears. He is also very vocal (like most orientals) and will actually hold 'conversations' with you if you mimic his vocalizations.

He's still 'my' cat and every evening when I get into bed he's right there beside me, getting between me and any book I am trying to read and banging his head off my chin. It can be a bit annoying at times when all I want to do is read and then sleep. It can be a bit of a pain at times when I have my wife on one side of the bed, a large English Springer Spaniel in the middle, then me and the cat perched on the other side, talk about not being able to move!

Enjoy Loki, orientals can be a lot of fun (I also had a pure-bred Burmese when I lived in the UK).

09-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First pic in the updated post above. I'm used to orientals in a way. Most of the cats I've had have had at least some Siamese in them and have shown some of their traits. The white one that passed in Feb he was very Siamese for all that he was a white cat. He had the body build and he would get that cross eyed look that they get and he had that weird Siamese "Mrrrow..." that they have. I think at least one of his parents was at least half. My girl she's Maine Coon black but she's definitely got oriental something in her too. But this little guy he's my first one that really looks like a Siamese and I love the extra toes. It's hard to see them unless he splays his paws. They seem pretty even to me, and I honestly did not even notice them at first. It's not as obvious as some cases I've seen but he's definitely got 6 toes on one foot at least.
09-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Excellent choice of a name for your new kitty! My cats have allowed me to address them with names with a certain gravitas. Humphrey, after Senator Humphrey, was a large, mellow, gray gentleman. Loki was a black beauty with a white blaze on his chest. Perseus was a tiger tom, and a truly wonderful companion. Perseus happily greeted our guests with purrs and a lofted tail. His successor is Caruso, named because of his vocalizations. Whether he is expressing his joie de vivre, or cursing us to the feline gods is uncertain, but he is undoubtedly the noisiest cat I've ever known. We rescued Caruso when he was a teenager, so to speak, hiding out under a yard building display at our local Home Despot. We suspected he'd been abandoned, since to wander there on his own he'd have to have crossed several multilane, busy roads. He called to us, we knelt down, he appeared, was petted, and scent-marked my wife! And so the die was cast.
09-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We made some major progress just now. She's no longer hiding under the bed all the time. We've had a fairly good meet and greet session today. I opened the door so she could get a quick look at him and other than warning him to keep his distance for now she was polite. He smartly retreated back into the bathroom to a spot where she could see him and he could peek at her but he didn't push it otherwise. After a while he just closed his little blue eyes and did a Zen kitty routine. He got totally mellow and she went "Hmph!" and relaxed. This cat knows how to be subordinate kitty which is very good as lately she is anything but, laugh. The bathroom used to be her doman and her box was in there. Her box is now just beyond the bathroom in the hall tucked into a corner. She just went and used it no problems and the door to the bathroom was actually still open at the time. They had a snack on opposite sides of the doorway looking at each other and there was no hissing or growling going on. She seems very cautious but very curious too so I have high hopes things will pan out nicely in the next week or so. She's doing quite well, better than I thought she would today. I am very proud of her. I would not be surprised at all to see some major talking and footie action going on soon. She's not ready to share the whole house with him yet, but she's accepted his presence in the house and has calmed down considerably.

Last edited by magkelly; 09-01-2013 at 07:07 PM.
09-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #11

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Loki is very handsome. I'm pleased that your Girl is settling down, it looks like in a few days they'll get along and that's good.
09-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This little cat has the biggest vocal cords for such a little guy. This morning I had to put him back in his carrier so I could clean up the mess he's made in the bathroom and he got so loud he could have woken the dead, sheesh. He's otherwise healthy but he's still got the squirts and messed outside the box last night. Probably because of the wet food I gave him as a treat. It was good wet but still I don't think he's up to it as yet. I'm going to have to get him some fiber stuff this afternoon and keep him on his dry kitten food until his stomach settles. I'm not crazy about doing that. I hate dry and even good dry which this is isn't something I want my cat eating. I believe it's bad for their urinary tract long term but I don't have much choice just now. He doesn't seem to be handling any wet very well just now. I wish they had not given him all his shots, dewormed him and fixed him on the same day. I get why they did, expediency when dealing with so many kittens and cats tops concern for the animals, but not all of them can take all of that vetting all at once. It's very upsetting to the system. I checked and he's not running a fever or anything and the vet has seen him and said he's fine, no need for antibiotics or anything, but his little bowels are in an uproar as yet and it's hard knowing there's not much else I can do for him, except make sure he's drinking enough, and bulk up his food a little bit. I'm going to sprinkle some fiber stuff in his food and maybe give him a bit of pedialyte in his water I guess. See how it goes. Pumpkin works too but some cats don't really like it and that's hit or miss, and I want him to eat so fiber stuff it is...
09-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Aww, what a cutie! Definitely a lighter color than my guy here. T has seemed to have trouble with changes in his food (And maybe wet food in general) for much of the time, (Kind of unavoidable at times, since they only have junky kitty food in this food desert area, but he's finally adjusted to just getting regular Purina Cat Chow, whic seems to wrk. I think growing up helps, too, but consistent food seems to settle him out, even if he likes the junky food from the minimart. Sometimes I mix a little bitty bit in, but it tend to just make him picky. Too much of it and he barfs. Then is like, "Mommy, give me more food-that-makes-me barf! That's great! "

I'll try adding some wet foods when he's a bit older yet: even the Iams kind seemed to make him barf and not help with the squirts problem back there, so I gave up on that for now. He does have some of that Siamesey fussiness.going on. Though then you can hear a whole range of cute little sounds out of him when he's commenting on the selections.

I do suggest just consistency with the food and exercise while kitty's growing. (Pretty much what I was told, myself)
09-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He's on a very good whole chicken and rice based kitten food, gentle stomach food, and I think it's starting to work a bit. He had a semi-stable poop earlier and that's the first one so that's better. No wet food for a few days I've decided. He came out this afternoon and ran himself ragged down the hall, scared the girl cat back under the bed, lol. Dad is here and they've been having some fun. He's been up on the bed just hanging out on a big diaper pad watching Law and Order with Dad. Dad grouched up a blue streak about me bringing him home but he's totally got Dad wrapped around his cute little paws already. He crawled into Dad's lap at one point and did his snuggle kitty routine and crusty old man just melted and I just looked over at him smugly as if to say "See? This is why I brought him home." He's really a little doll baby. He asks to be picked up and carried around. He snuggles in your arms and lap like a baby, does the making biscuits routine. He's a really affectionate boy. I sure hope he stays this way because I like it. :P Now if he could just totally convince the girl cat she wants him we'd be set to go! She's taking baby steps. Two forward, one back, usually, and that's it, that's as fast as she's going with this. But she does want him around I think. She spent most of the afternoon on a couple of storage crates she likes to lay on watching for any action down the hall, her ears towards the door. She's not fooling anybody. She's rather fascinated and we all know it. She's just being a bit fussy about getting acquainted that's all. She's entitled, shrug.
09-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats, Mag. If you've never had a Siamese before, you're in for a real treat. I haven't been without at least one Siamese in the house for over 30 years now, and don't ever plan to be in the future.