Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally, it`s live

Today my personnal website finally went live
Being a total n00b at Wordpress and all, it took me some time to figure it all out. Started off with a free theme, lots of reading and trail& error I managed to create (at least, that`s what I think) a solid base for further enhancement.

Please have a look, constructive feedback is appreciated. And offcourse, tips&tricks are welcome too.
Enjoy and thanks for watching!

Kind regards, Jacco

www.tenznl.com

09-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Today my personnal website finally went live
Being a total n00b at Wordpress and all, it took me some time to figure it all out. Started off with a free theme, lots of reading and trail& error I managed to create (at least, that`s what I think) a solid base for further enhancement.

Please have a look, constructive feedback is appreciated. And offcourse, tips&tricks are welcome too.
Enjoy and thanks for watching!

Kind regards, Jacco

www.tenznl.com
The site looks great! I've worked within Wordpress for years and I know how much work it can be to get everything to look the way you want it - and yours looks good!

Two things:
1. Your photos have no titles, so if someone wanted to contact you about a specific one, it might be difficult.
2. Some grammatical errors. Should read: "I`m an enthusiastic advanced amateur who started out in 2007 as a preparation for a holiday trip to Costa Rica for the next year. While learning and practicing the basics I developed a taste for the unseen world of macro photography. 6 months before this trip I bought my first DSLR, a Pentax K100d. Meanwhile, this trip is over and ever since I have been seriously hooked into photography. Besides macro and close-up also landscape-, wildlife- and long exposure photography are of interest."

Great photos, and kudos from another former K100D user!
09-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
The site looks great! I've worked within Wordpress for years and I know how much work it can be to get everything to look the way you want it - and yours looks good!

Two things:
1. Your photos have no titles, so if someone wanted to contact you about a specific one, it might be difficult.
2. Some grammatical errors. Should read: "I`m an enthausiastic advanced amateur who started out in 2007 as a preparation for a holiday trip to Costa Rica for the next year. While learning and practicing the basics I developed a taste for the unseen world of macro photography. 6 months before this trip I bought my first DSLR, a Pentax K100d. Meanwhile, this trip is over and ever since I have been seriously hooked into photography. Besides macro and close-up also landscape-, wildlife- and long exposure photography are of interest."

Great photos, and kudos from another former K100D user!
Thanks for the headup and feedback
The photo`s do have titles but for some reason it only shows when hoovering over the thumbnail. Thanks for noticing, I have to get into that. Second: english is noy my native language so you correction is much appreciated.

Yeah, the K100d was a great body to start, it was fun, easy to use and forgiving
09-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Thanks for the headup and feedback
The photo`s do have titles but for some reason it only shows when hoovering over the thumbnail. Thanks for noticing, I have to get into that. Second: english is noy my native language so you correction is much appreciated.

Yeah, the K100d was a great body to start, it was fun, easy to use and forgiving
I had a feeling with the .nl that English might be your second language, although reading through your site I wouldn't have known - the mistakes I found were tiny and I even missed a couple myself when I was going through and editing!

And seriously, the photos are amazing and speak for themselves!

09-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice site, and the site and photos load fast.
Now I have suggestion also.
On your Archive listing, the months should be capitalized.
I agree with what Keitha said too.

Another suggestion, you try to find a way to keep people from right clicking the photo. and save image as, after they click the thumbnail.

I also started into digital photography with a K100d.
09-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
I had a feeling with the .nl that English might be your second language, although reading through your site I wouldn't have known - the mistakes I found were tiny and I even missed a couple myself when I was going through and editing!

And seriously, the photos are amazing and speak for themselves!
Many thanks for your generous compliments, I`m starting to blush here
English is indeed my second language but for work I frequently have to lower the level (lots of russians, philipines and other seafaring people) which isn`t good for the grammar.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Nice site, and the site and photos load fast.
Now I have suggestion also.
On your Archive listing, the months should be capitalized.
I agree with what Keitha said too.

Another suggestion, you try to find a way to keep people from right clicking the photo. and save image as, after they click the thumbnail.

I also started into digital photography with a K100d.
Thank you too, Photolady. I have to look into that because the archives is a prefab widget/addon.
I`ve thought about rightclick-disabling but otoh the pics are no more than 1024px in size. On flickr they get posted larger so I figured it`s probably not worth the hassle, right?
09-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I am in the process of making my own website but was thinking to link the thumbnails to my flickr account because on flickr, you can't right click my photos and save image as. That's why I like flickr.They protect my copyright.

Right click disabling doesn't work. I tried that with my first website and people could still get around it.
09-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see you are even posting bigger to Flickr than I am. Just a little heads up, Flickr is not safe and they say so theirselves:
QuoteQuote:
This setting lets you choose who can see your original image files.
Enabling this setting also places deterrents to discourage downloading of your other sizes. (And we really do mean "discourage". Please understand that if a photo can be viewed in a web browser, it can be downloaded.)
There is a lot of specific software on the interwebs to leech any image you want. Coincidently this afternoon, checking on Google to see if my site pops up, I found one of my images taken from Flickr: HRT receives semi-submersible rig from Transocean

It`s small but it was stolen anyway. I must say...they had the courtesy (or balls?) to name the source.

09-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I just tested this on a friends flickr, and I could not download his photos, nor right clicking would not give me the option to "save image as' and the same is on my flickr.
09-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"save image as' and the same is on my flickr.
Hate to tell you this but your images are not safe on Flickr just because you blocked that action.
09-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I know they are not absolutely safe but it deters some peoples from downloading my photos. Though I have no idea who would want mine.
09-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know they are not absolutely safe but it deters some peoples from downloading my photos. Though I have no idea who would want mine.
Haha, same for me
09-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice..
09-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I am in the process of making my own website but was thinking to link the thumbnails to my flickr account because on flickr, you can't right click my photos and save image as. That's why I like flickr.They protect my copyright.
Nice site, Teznl.
Personally, I think it's very user friendly, which is important, in my opinion.
When I go and check a photographers website I like the gallery to lad quickly. I'm not a fan of websites that are flash heavy.
I host some photos on fotologue which is good, but very flash heavy which makes it not very user friendly, so I thought about trying wordpress, but I know it takes some time to get looking good. So, well done!

A quick comment about what photolady wrote above: I have found out that flickr doesn't completely prevent the downloading of photos.
Yes, the right click may be disabled to click and save that way, but right click on the page and click on "View page info" then on "Media". You'll notice that photos can unfortunately be saved that way.
It's a reason why I don't use flickr anymore.
09-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Very nice..
Thanks Travis

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Nice site, Teznl.
Personally, I think it's very user friendly, which is important, in my opinion.
When I go and check a photographers website I like the gallery to lad quickly. I'm not a fan of websites that are flash heavy.
I host some photos on fotologue which is good, but very flash heavy which makes it not very user friendly, so I thought about trying wordpress, but I know it takes some time to get looking good. So, well done!
Thank you too, Mickey.
Yeah, there is a lot out there. I`ve also been thinking about getting a paid theme, less work and better functionality. Maybe that would make a nice project for the coming winter.