Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
But
Anyway, I love cultural diversity, and I love experiencing it - travelling or surfing. I've been called "Duck" in the UK and taken no offence what so ever. I'm hard to offend in general, I just found it funny!
In Australia "old duck" said to, or about, a woman would normally be interpreted, and meant, as offensive.

09-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

What's with the "sir" in forum threads?

Alright, I grew up in the country side, in a rather traditional village in Jutland, and my parents actually cut their hair... I just wanted to stress the environmental difference - and hey, some of my primary school teachers DID fit the description. Anyways, my grand mother lived within smell-the-weed range of the Frøstrup camp (although, admittedly, she did not approve much) :-)
Hah, I grew up in a "big" (in a Danish context) city in south-western Jutland (what's with translating proper nouns, it's Jylland!) back before the last ice-age...for the cinephiles, think that "Barbette's Feast" was actually a documentary about where I grew up (I've gotten better, tho', and moved away... ) the Jylland I know is, for the most part, a very cut-hair-gender-unambiguous-non-hippie piece of Denmark...

Jylland is, however, the most photogenic part of Denmark. Too bad I moved out a decade before digital cameras came about.
09-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #33

Anyway, I love cultural diversity, and I love experiencing it - travelling or surfing. I've been called "Duck" in the UK and taken no offence what so ever. I'm hard to offend in general, I just found it funny! .
Quite frankly, I'd be amazed if someone came to the UK and didn't get called duck or ducky at some point, especially if you travel to the north of England. It is very common and in no way meant as offensive I can assure you.
09-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I don't know about other posters... but some people do it in polite jest. Not 'mocking' in a bad way... but more like having fun in a polite way... kind of mockingly saying 'good day sir'....but imagine it being done in a fake British accent.
You mean like Dick van Dyke's in Mary Poppins?

09-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member

(OK, let's see what I have learned then. I'll give it my best shot!)

Your attention please, good sirs and/or Madames/Madams/Ma'ams!

Dear, esteemed fellow board residents of most respected genders, ages and nationalities!

If I have in any way indicated that your most commendable conduct and praiseworthy politeness was, in any way what so ever, offensive to me, I do beg of you to forgive my lack of eloquence!
I hope that heaven holds forgiveness for such rudeness and lack of proper upbringing! It is with humble and heartfelt respect and admiration that I strive to learn from your most estimated mastery of etiquette. I began this thread out of bemusement and curiousity, and did not imagine that it would be taken as a complaint, or any indication of having taken offence. Please bear with me, since I am but a foreigner from a far, cold and uncouth country.

Your humble servant, today and always,
Mette

You know, we have doctors and lawyers on here, the odd soldier, and probably also a few noblemen as well....so you'll have to amend your form of address with, at least, "doctors, esquires, learned friends, galant friends, honorable and most honorable ladies and gentlemen,...." (trying to capture both high-brow British and American nomenclature here.....)

Or, you can just do as I do, and address all y'all as "dudes and dudettes"?
09-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
May be?....but just yesterday I delivered a few boxes of fine chocolate, something I am known around here for doing quite often, to a couple of middle age women that run the Beauty Shop next to my old studio. I do point out that they are lying about their ages, can't be a day over 29.....

"Looky here Missy, looks like you have a box of chocolates!"

Never have had a complaint, maybe it all depends on the context of the greeting...... you think Ratlady?

Regards!

BTW- They are pretty spoiled, and I did the spoiling! A years worth of chocolate on every Tuesday and Thursday will do that!
Rupert, if the chocolates are really that good, you can call me "missy" if you ensure a steady supply.....and last I checked, I very much came with both X and Y chromosomes....

Just sayin' that you're bribing these beauty shop women into not complaining, y'kno'?
09-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Just sayin' that you're bribing these beauty shop women into not complaining, y'kno'?
No, not at all. It is an affectionate term and not at all offensive to most females that are comfortable with their gender. Maybe I am "old school", but I see women as feminine and the other half of the puzzle that is man and woman. Of course, there are women that are not feminine, and out of respect, I do not address them as "Missy"....I address them as Sir. That way everyone is satisfied.

Regarding the opposite sex, without going to war or starting a hostile conversation......I consider women fully equal and as worthy of respect as men. I can't deny they are different, and I am damn glad they are, but I am not one to consider women on any lower level or subservient to men. A lifetime with Mrs Rupert has taught me that it might be the other way around, and if done as well as she does it, you would never complain!

BTW-Chocolate is indeed a powerful force! There are places I go where I get service like I am royalty......they do like their chocolate! ....and I love giving it!

Regards!

09-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
May be?....but just yesterday I delivered a few boxes of fine chocolate, something I am known around here for doing quite often, to a couple of middle age women that run the Beauty Shop next to my old studio. I do point out that they are lying about their ages, can't be a day over 29.....

"Looky here Missy, looks like you have a box of chocolates!"

Never have had a complaint, maybe it all depends on the context of the greeting...... you think Ratlady?

Regards!

BTW- They are pretty spoiled, and I did the spoiling! A years worth of chocolate on every Tuesday and Thursday will do that!

Heehee. I dunno, Rupert. Could be something regional for your area (Though I can't recall anyone saying it, when I was down there. Definitely it'd have a different meaning in most of the rest of the country, so I wouldn't advise visitors to try using it. I never did understand the whole lying-about-your-age thing, myself.
09-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
I wasn't raised in the southern US, but I was taught to respect my elders, by the use of sir/madam.

'Sir' still slips out regularly in everyday greetings, definitely not intended as tongue-in-cheek. No-one's ever commented on it, even though I'm the oldest among most of people I work with.
It may also be a result of military training. Remember, to a private everyone is " SIR"
09-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #40
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It may also be a result of military training. Remember, to a private everyone is " SIR"
Nah, wouldn't work on Scandinavians. Officers are adressed by rank, everyone else just as (im)politely as when out of uniform.

My theory is that it's simply too cold up here to hang around exchanging politenesses; just get your business done and haul your butt back into the warm confines of your home!

Come to think of it, the closer to the equator you get, the more elaborate the greetings seem to become. Certain places in rural Africa you'd be considered rude if you got down to business without inquiring about the other party's health, and that of their family and livestock.

Yeah, I think I'm on to something
09-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Perhaps to avoid offending anyone by using "sir" and "ma'am", we could start our own tradition here in the forum and address everyone as "Sam".
09-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Or just "Y'all" or the plural (as I was taught it anyhoo) "All y'all"

Jim
Or the ubiquitous "You'nz" (south east Kentucky/north central Tennessee)

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-16-2013 at 10:52 AM.
09-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
we could start our own tradition here in the forum and address everyone as "Sam".
Oh no, there's already too many Sams at work here. Last week, I gave Sam the shipping guy a package to send to Sam at another company on Sam Houston Parkway in Texas.
09-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Or, you can just do as I do, and address all y'all as "dudes and dudettes"?
I have never called anyone "dudette" (though have been called that) but I do admit to using "dude".

More cultural diversity... One of the little cultural differences I liked about Hawai'i was how people address their elders (strangers!) as "auntie" or "uncle". Ties in to the strong Hawaiian love of family & is a title of respect.
09-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Long ago I was lying in the hospital in Taiwan and the doctor walked up to an old man and addressed him "agong" - which is grandfather, and is used for "maternal grandfather", so "paternal grandfather" must be different,although I do not recall what it is.