Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
"Abu", uncle, is also a common polite address in many Middle Eastern countries. And, by the way, regionally in the UK _anyone_ female is called "duck", just like it's "luv" for anyone in other regions - not particularly polite, but not negatively weighted either.

Sometimes I think we lost all conventions of polite address in Denmark sometime during the 60's and 70's. I never really learned to call anyone anything beyond their first name, and I feel a bit awkward when I try to... but I enjoy encountering more cultured cultures!

09-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In the northeast it's "You Guys", unless you are from Pittsburgh. In Pittsburgh it's "Yinz".
Unless you're from North Philadelphia where it's Youz Guys and the last consonant of every other word gets mangled or dropped. Been there, heard that and it never ceased to make me laugh. North Philly was definitely an interesting place to spend a few months linguistically speaking....
09-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Long ago I was lying in the hospital in Taiwan and the doctor walked up to an old man and addressed him "agong" - which is grandfather, and is used for "maternal grandfather", so "paternal grandfather" must be different,although I do not recall what it is.
Interesting. The head of state of Malaysia is the "Yang di-Pertuan Agong". When my family lived there from the late 1950s to early 1960s, he was often referred to as "The Agong". I think (it was a long time ago and all I really learned in Malay was how to count to 10) that agong in Malay means something like big or huge, so there's no obvious link. But the same word ...

Richard.
09-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I would interpret the sir-ing as sort of a tongue-in-cheek exaggerated politeness, sort of in the same way as if I give a formal bow when greeting an old friend.

But, as a fellow Scandinavian, I might be very wrong

Edit: And of course, using the wrong gender ruins the effect somewhat! Even though there are more males than females in here, or rather especially since it is so, we shouldn't mirginalise the minority further.
From my perspective, you've hit the nail on the head with your first comment. I think it comes from a desire to be polite, perhaps to return to an earlier age when good manners prevailed.

The use of sir is, I think, very different in American and English society. I have heard that American boys would call their father "Sir" as in "Yes, Sir, I've done my chores" and perhaps that influences the American use of sir. I was brought up in the British tradition and the idea of calling my father "sir" never arose. I think it would have been considered as child abuse.

There is a playful use of sir in sport. A spectator at the cricket might say "Good shot, sir" after a spectacularly inept shot by a batsman results in a boundary. There's a little bit of p*^^-taking in it.

Richard.

Last edited by RichardS; 09-21-2013 at 02:42 AM.
09-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Maybe I'm just being overly Scandinavian here. Or overly female.

Anyway, I wonder when someone will resort to calling ME "sir", since my gender might not be apparent to most foreigners based on my name...
Back in the day when I went to school and students were actually taught something in school proper English grammar specified if sex is unknown the masculine is assumed and the masculine syntax is used. It wasn't meant to be sexist. It was a defined pattern to follow.
09-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #51

In a Leeds (Yorkshire - UK) shop I heard the seller of the Jessops premises asking me "Are you allright LUV?" Nice way to address customers in a friendly way there UPNORTH!
10-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Another Southerner here... while I and many others use 'sir' and 'ma'am' habitually, its not necessarily a sign of respect. Southerners are quite adept at meaning nasty things while saying nice things.

Although generally, yes, it is just a polite statement, i.e. "yes, ma'am" instead of "yeah,"

10-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #53
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Southerners are quite adept at meaning nasty things while saying nice things.
You're quite right; bless your heart.
10-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyway, I wonder when someone will resort to calling ME "sir", since my gender might not be apparent to most foreigners based on my name...
Even with my name and avatar it still happens.
It's part and parcel to the territory.

Drives me crazy too.

What makes matters worse for me in real life, is that I don't have a typical female "sing-song/bobble head" voice. I have a "New Yorker" accent if any, and on the phone I get called "Sir" all the time.

I hate having to turn on my "girl voice".

10-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe I'm just being overly Scandinavian here. Or overly female.

I just feel SO puzzled, when forum users in the threads I follow begin adressing each other "sir"! "Well put, sir" "A genuinely brilliant statement, sir" etc. I feel somehow transported to a lounge full of Victorian gentlemen. Is this an American trend in online communication? Is it just that I have frequented less high-society fora up until now?

I feel the exact same way. Last time I checked, I wasn't a guy. When people do make the mistake, I usually try to gently correct them (to get them out of the habit of always saying he). One time, another user (whom I had spoken to before) added, "umm, I'm pretty sure Annie is a woman's name". For the longest time I have felt like the only female forum user.