Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #1

Looking for an upgrade to my ooold laptop

I was looking to replace/upgrade from my very old HP Nc8430Specs:http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3080
though mine has the 2.0 ghz processor.
I'm actually wondering if I can do much better for the money. I looked around and there's just soo many. I also need dedicated video to properly run my online game. I don't want to run eve-online at minimum specs.

Last edited by Iksobarg; 09-14-2013 at 12:19 PM.
09-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
CNET is your friend:

Laptops & notebooks: Laptop computers, notebook computers - CNET Reviews
09-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
you're right

I love CNET but maybe someone has an insight/ tip before I try to pan for gold.
Thanks man!
09-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seeing as your laptop is somewhat slower than my 10 year old desktop, it shouldn't take much to see improved performance. I don't have any specific recommendations, but I am a big fan of the Core i5 family of processors. An SSD (preferably at least 128 GB) boot drive significantly improves start up times if you are willing to get a laptop with 2 drives or set up the computer with high speed external storage for files you aren't using all the time.

09-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
I see I should have been more specific. Sorry, I confused laptop models and corrected my entry over the last few hours.
I'm pretty impressed with the bang for buck value of this NC8430 (corrected! not 6000). They seem to have been released in 2007. I got it for $217 in 2011 and it's great for now. It gets used for a few hours everyday and compared to my Asus Republic of Gamers laptop, it's reasonably slow but I'm nonetheless satisfied, especially since it runs my fav. game at minimum specs.
Anyway the HP is my secondary/backup deal but I know it's not gonna last soo much longer so I wanted to start looking now.
Thanks.

Last edited by Iksobarg; 09-14-2013 at 03:35 PM.
09-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I recommend Toshiba laptops.
I won't recommend a certain model, but have been pleased after using them for around 8 years or so.
09-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
I don't mind looking at older laptops, after all they go pretty cheap nowadays.
Without having some idea of specific models (e.g. Toshiba) I've been doing searches for processors and if I'm lucky I get something with dedicated video.
So far the HP 8510p model Laptop w/ T7700-2.4GHz processor, with dedicated video, looks promising, so it might be old and fast, but it's just a little faster than what I have right now.
Thing is I'm trying to stay away from Win7, which from what I understand, with it's architecture, requires more processing power. I should prolly look up and read more about that, I spose.

I've also looked at some older Alienware laptop deals, but ofc even the older ones aren't cheepy cheap, but there are many to be found.
and cheepy cheap isn't my bottom line, just a super-value gaming rig.

The Dell 15R is also a possibility, even though it's Win7, I think, but i5 processor and dedicated? video.
I'll keep looking as I do have time. Thanks again.

09-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Toshiba is a good brand, and so are Asus and Dell (and Alienware, which is Dell). HP/Compaq is not. While it sounds like you haven't had any problems with yours, buying from that company is like playing Russian Roulette. I've never had a good product from them. Ever. They've all been defective from the start, or die just after the warranty expires.

I have to ask, do you really need a laptop? I mean, you already have one good one. Why not have a dedicated gaming desktop? If you want both games and a laptop and all for cheap, you have to make some pretty big compromises somewhere. Building a gaming desktop doesn't have to be expensive, and it's not hard, either.
09-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
I agree with the brands you mention, Scratchy.
But then I've totally lucked out with the NC6000 and current model laptop I'm using. I've used other HPs such as an old HP 935 Digital Cam, was great!
I know HP is trying reinvent themselves atm. Good luck to them!
My search goes on.
09-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have purchased three laptops in the last six months.
Lotta bang for the buck with two budget-priced Acer models with AMD processor and video.

Chris
09-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use an asus g75 because I don't like sitting at a desk and it has a nice big matte screen. I think it is great for editing photo's.