Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I received a lifetime ban a few years ago. I was never given a reason, although I asked, and over 160 others also asked why I was banned, some of them were banned just for asking. I'm pretty sure it had to do with the squirrels....my head squirrel at that time, Festus, father of Otis, was also banned. Shortly thereafter is when DPR had the big crash and lost a ton of archives and daily operation was severely damaged, which many blamed on the squirrels. They never took credit for it so I have no idea, Otis just said it was "Karma". There is no doubt that place still has bad vibes......you won't last long there Norm, I can see it coming!

As a note, I've been banned here a couple of times, probably justified, bad things happened in P&R, if you know what I mean! However, when I came over here several years ago, I received a personal mail from Adam telling me my squirrels were welcome, and except for a couple of jerks off and on, they have been. I appreciate that, and so does Otis and his Army of Squirrels.
There really isn't any comparison here to DPR, this place has more and better everything, and by an large, some really good people....anyhow, I like them! It's the kind of place that can put a smile on a squirrel's face......and not get him banned for doing it!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!

09-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe we could start a contests, we all take on new, fake names on DPR, and see who gets banned the fastest. I think I can beat Rupert and his squirrels. I might even post photos of a Beagle.

09-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Most people banned there think about coming back under a different name, but if it is really as bad as most say...and it's actually worse...why would you want to be there anyhow? You can go for ages here with no problems, most here are reasonable and we kind of have the "we're all in this together" feeling, which you do not find at DPR. If you find a good place like this, just enjoy it and forget about the wars going on over there daily.
Regards!

I just shot this with my Toy Camera X20 and it's sort of like DPR.....the poor guy robbing the squirrel feeder is cruising along thinking all is well....and out of nowhere he is about to get jumped from above!
[IMG] [/IMG]
09-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
My ban has been lifted, moderator lost his privileges

Well that's nice I suppose. He was really going hog wild on a big old power trip.

Last edited by KL Matt; 09-24-2013 at 12:22 AM.
09-24-2013, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DPR is an interesting site. On the one hand there is a lot of information there to glean: lots of reviews, lots of opinions, lots of people. However, on the other hand, it is a very polarizing site. Being as big as it is I think that site is trying to be everything to everyone. It attracts people from all over. When that happens then it's a war of volume. The loudest people and the biggest groups win. Basically, (bad) attitude is the rule vs. the exception.

I enter DPR when they pop up in my Google search results for lens reviews. Someone could be asking about lens X and I am surprised to see so many responses putting down the buyer. Maybe they got that lens for bottom dollar? Maybe that lens is good enough for what the photographer wants to accomplish? Maybe that's all they can afford at the moment and they are thrilled to be in a place in life where they can get even that? Nobody can guess the reality behind the handle or the post so why make assumptions?

I believe that this forum is of a different nature. It is for focused and enthusiastic Pentax users looking for a nourishing experience in both the usage of the gear and the photos that come as a result. This forum doesn't try to be everything to everything and it seems to encourage people to seek out what they want if they can't find it here.

As a member of any forum I try to think of myself as a guest on private property. I am only entitled to my opinion, not necessarily the posting of it on someone else's forum. Pentax Forums doesn't belong to me any more than my neighbor's backyard. That approach for me drives a completely behavior. Sometimes I think certain users at DPR should do the same.
09-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

+1 for Boris!
09-24-2013, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I've pretty-much given up even looking at the forums on DPR, most are just people complaining and ignorantly bashing other brands. It's very tiresome. The Pentax section is an exception, but frankly it's more fun here.

Over here we get interesting discussions and despite being a forum geared toward a single brand, there are far, far fewer zealots.

09-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am THIS close [fingers close together] to banning myself from DPR. The wailing... the moaning... the gnashing of teeth... the back-slapping... the over-the-top-defensiveness ("How dare you suggest that..." and "How dare you suggest my [ABC] can be improved...")... There are a couple of members there I really wish were over here, and also a couple of members I'm really glad are NOT over here.

I'm reading a good book at the moment written by Carl Sagan. It's called The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. It presents fact vs. belief/fiction/feeling/superstition/and so on. My feeling is that this forums' participants accept criticism and skepticism, almost welcome it, all in the name of revealing truths and facts all with improvement and accomplishment in mind as an end result. I like that. It's far more real, more productive, and more rewarding.
09-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Jonathan, that forum has actually improved dramatically in my opinion over the last few years. Probably as a result of being better moderated or having lost so many members since the big turmoil there and PentaxForums formed, people actually know each other better again now, kind of like they did there in the pre-k10d days, so it's also friendlier.
There were only a handful of us *istD/*istDS users in the world back then, and most of us who were inclined to even use a forum like it were on DPReview (and/or PDML before that.) So it feels a bit more like it used to now, but with only a few of the old familiar faces from back then.
Anyway I always liked their forum interface. You could scan vast amounts of threads/posts at a glance without so much scroling, and the forum wasn't divided up into a gazillion sub-forums like here, which I do not like so much. But yeah, people seem friendlier here, so maybe I should give this place another shot after my last attempt ended badly with people being jerks here but being freindly and positive on DPreview on the exact same topic/identical threads.
09-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PentaxForums is a nice place to visit!

My compliments to Adam and the moderators for the fine work they do in making this forum outstanding! I'd guess it isn't easy....

While I was sorry to see the Politics section banned from PentaxForums some time ago, I understand the reasoning behind the action. Some folks just can't disagree without ad hominem attacks on other participants, and sometimes nasty remarks of the sort which if said in person might end up in a genuine fight. There is a forum out there, I won't give its name, but they have a "Chat" section which seems generally devoted to political harangues. One member who starts many threads and posts to many, seems to feel that any disagreement with his position is a justification for a personal attack and evidence of the poster's ignorance at best, or evil intent, all too often. Out of curiosity I checked how many threads he'd started, of some 100 or so only one dealt with photography!

I'd enjoy a civil discussion about politics with those folk who hold views different from mine, but to be called a "low-information voter" or one of the "sheeple" I find offensive. I've always felt that someone resorting to name-calling probably can't really defend his/her position.

One thread, dealing with favorite films, was hijacked by someone who couldn't understand why anyone would shoot film. His posts degenerated into little more than ravings and rants, not dealing with photography at all! The moderator or admin should have cut him off. I wonder whether I should continue with this forum with so many participants seeming to operate at a junior high school level
09-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
One member who starts many threads and posts to many, seems to feel that any disagreement with his position is a justification for a personal attack and evidence of the poster's ignorance at best, or evil intent, all too often
You've been around a while. I'm sure you remember one (or 2) like that here during the P&R days, don't you?
09-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You've been around a while. I'm sure you remember one (or 2) like that here during the P&R days, don't you?
'Fraid so. But I don't think they descended to the level of the trolls I've mentioned in my post. Isn't it sad that some folks never learned to play well with others....
10-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
Banned
Site Supporter

Faking Ownership

I think you were actually banned for faking ownership of multiple lenses. You claimed to own a bunch of glass you clearly didn't, multiple members called you out (because they know you own MAYBE 5 lenses) and the admin took ya out of the equation. I've seen you troll posts in order to push lenses that you like and try to insult photography with lenses that you don't. You tend to lie about what you own so you can claim that your opinions about how bad "X" product is, are valid. Personally, I think the admins did an excellent job watching your song and dance and taking care of ya.
10-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by A Modest Mouse Quote
I think you were actually banned for faking ownership of multiple lenses. You claimed to own a bunch of glass you clearly didn't, multiple members called you out (because they know you own MAYBE 5 lenses) and the admin took ya out of the equation. I've seen you troll posts in order to push lenses that you like and try to insult photography with lenses that you don't. You tend to lie about what you own so you can claim that your opinions about how bad "X" product is, are valid. Personally, I think the admins did an excellent job watching your song and dance and taking care of ya.
Even if true, why should "faking ownership" be a basis for banning someone? What the F difference does it make, really? Makes me happy not to be over there...

Jim
10-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't really feel it necessary to "call people out" on their opinions. If someone has an uninformed opinion, then so be it. Not a big deal. Everyone on the forum has different levels of experience and as such, will have slightly different opinions of different gear. That shouldn't be a problem.

I must say that I appreciate opinions of people who I have seen their photography and it is a high level more than those who either choose not to share their work or, whose photographs seem lower in caliber.