Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Banned on DPR, anyone else?

Hi,

I've been banned on DPR for daring to complain about all the disappearing threads on the Pentax DSLR forum there. Anyone else experience the same treatment over there? Zvonimir, are you here on Pentax Forums?

It would be ironic if I get banned here for the same. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume complaining about moderators on a completely different forum is not against the rules here as well.

A strange community at the moment, that one.

Matt

09-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KL Matt Quote
Hi,

I've been banned on DPR for daring to complain about all the disappearing threads on the Pentax DSLR forum there. Anyone else experience the same treatment over there? Zvonimir, are you here on Pentax Forums?

It would be ironic if I get banned here for the same. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume complaining about moderators on a completely different forum is not against the rules here as well.

A strange community at the moment, that one.

Matt
Lots of folks around here have been banned on DPR... we even consider it a badge of honor.

Mike
09-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Lots of folks around here have been banned on DPR... we even consider it a badge of honor.

Mike
It's weird for me, Mike, I've never been banned from any forum before, ever. And I got banned for asking the mods (well, one in particular) to explain why he is deleting threads left and right. Of course instead of explaining, he just deleted all the threads about his bad behavior and banned the people calling him out. I've been banned for 7 days for "trolling" (fail to see how that is trolling) and will wait and see what happens. If that particular moderator is still there at the end of the 7 days, I don't think I'll feel very good about continuing to contribute there.
Matt
09-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think many people get banned here -- particularly not since they closed the politics section. Even Rice High never got banned here, although he got so disgruntled he gave up on everything.

09-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's weird for me, Mike, I've never been banned from any forum before, ever. And I got banned for asking the mods (well, one in particular) to explain why he is deleting threads left and right. Of course instead of explaining, he just deleted all the threads about his bad behavior and banned the people calling him out. I've been banned for 7 days for "trolling" (fail to see how that is trolling) and will wait and see what happens. If that particular moderator is still there at the end of the 7 days, I don't think I'll feel very good about continuing to contribute there.
Matt
A couple of Mods here on PF have been fired for that kind of stuff and abusing their privileges and roles so you won't find that happening here. One thing that makes it work around here is that while individual moderators do take unilateral action on small things, big things (other than obviously egregious things like SPAM) are generally discussed and a consensus reached before major infractions are issued or punitive action brought to bear.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.
09-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No politics here huh? My wife banned me from that at home too! I've said it before, this is the friendliest forum around!! Out of solidarity I promise to stay away from DPR.
Joel
09-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
No politics here huh? My wife banned me from that at home too! I've said it before, this is the friendliest forum around!! Out of solidarity I promise to stay away from DPR.
Joel
We used to have a dedicated "Politics and Religion" subforum... The intent was to keep those discussions out of the other forums, however, it caused endless problems and several people who could not learn how to have a civil discussion were shown the door. Now the only political discussions allowed are those related directly to photography (photographer rights, photography restricted, etc).
09-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
We used to have a dedicated "Politics and Religion" subforum... The intent was to keep those discussions out of the other forums, however, it caused endless problems and several people who could not learn how to have a civil discussion were shown the door. Now the only political discussions allowed are those related directly to photography (photographer rights, photography restricted, etc).
Given the international flavor of this community, this is a very wise policy!

09-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if it was just me and Zvonimir that got banned or everyone in that thread. If it's a large scale thing and they don't get rid of him as a moderator, I'll know what's up. I'm going to be so dismayed if they don't remove that guy's moderator privileges.
09-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's funny how the ban-hammer doesn't do anything to improve the tone on that forum. Things tend to be much more pleasant here.
09-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've quit forums because of moderation before (several of them, both of whom allowed behaviour that isn't allowed here, including bullying and racism and both canoeing forums, (just when you were thinking canoeists were probably pretty nice people)), one of them banned me after I quit... does that count? DPR I just joined there for the first time a few days ago. I don't think I've posted there yet. Should I go see if I'm banned? .

In my experience if you are absolutely opposed to what the mods on a forum are doing, your days there are numbered, I usually make sure I go with a splash, but others just stop turning up. I've had lots of conversations with the mods here, but in the end, I always see their point. But, there's absolutely no guarantee that because someone runs an internet site, they have any expertise at selecting relatively unbiased mods. This site is lucky.
09-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't think I've posted there yet. Should I go see if I'm banned?
Maybe this should be our next giveaway contest. We could start a pool to guess how many days, hours, and minutes it will take from your first post.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I always see their point.
Rarely is there a dispute in which only one side has valid points; that's why, as Mike pointed out above, we have a system to prevent rogue moderators and to provide some degree of arbitration.
09-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be ironic if I get banned here for the same.
Nah, relax, getting banned here takes some effort. Some of them just seem trigger happy to CLOSE`ing the thread when the going/questions get tough.
09-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Nah, relax, getting banned here takes some effort. Some of them just seem trigger happy to CLOSE`ing the thread when the going/questions get tough.
Actually we generally close threads only when all pleas for civility have gone unheeded.
09-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyways, in general... this place is a pretty tolerant and a fun to hang out forum to be part of.