Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is wexphotographic.com trustworthy?

I have ordered a used pentax-lens from wexphotographic.com. Today I got an email from sales@wex.co.uk that made me very suspicious. What do you say?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To protect our customers against increasing levels of payment fraud we occasionally ask for name and address verification before dispatching some orders. We regret this has become necessary and we will continually review ways to reduce the number of genuine customers inconvenienced by these measures.

Name and Address Verification

So we can progress this order please could you email a scan or photo of the payment card used for the transaction, blanking out the first 12 numbers (so we can verify you are in possession of the card) and the following documents;
  • To verify your identity, we need either a copy of your driving licence or passport and
  • To verify the address, we need either a copy of your driving licence, a bank statement or utility bill such as gas, electricity or land line telephone bill, dated within the last 6 weeks
We are unable to accept mobile phone, council tax, water bills or payslips.

Alternative Delivery Address
If you have selected alternative delivery address we require name and address verification for both your billing AND delivery addresses.

Where to send your Documents
Your documents can be scanned or photographed and emailed to securitychecks@wex.co.uk.
It can take up to 1 business day for your email to be reviewed, which may delay the dispatch of your order.
If we have not heard from you within 7 days of the date of this email, we shall assume that you no longer wish to proceed and the order will be cancelled.
We apologise for any delay this may cause to your order and if you have any questions on any of the above please call us on 01603 486413.

Many thanks,

Customer Services Team,
Wex Photographic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would run far and fast; right after I notified my credit card issuer.
09-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have bought most of my gear at wex, so I can definitely vouch for the company: I have been a satisfied customer there for the last five years, and among several other things, I got my 300mm DA* f4 from wex, as well as my k-5, which I have just received back from its second warranty repair (first the lens button, then the mirror flop). Not always as cheap as srs-microsystems, but decent prices and excellent customer service.

That said, I have never been asked for documents, like the email you received. Ever. From wex, or any other shop. I would feel weird about that too. Give them a call maybe?
09-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
I have bought most of my gear at wex, so I can definitely vouch for the company: I have been a satisfied customer there for the last five years, and among several other things, I got my 300mm DA* f4 from wex, as well as my k-5, which I have just received back from its second warranty repair (first the lens button, then the mirror flop). Not always as cheap as srs-microsystems, but decent prices and excellent customer service.

That said, I have never been asked for documents, like the email you received. Ever. From wex, or any other shop. I would feel weird about that too. Give them a call maybe?
@MetteHHH: I have emailed them and posted a warning on Wex's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/wexphotographic

So let's see what happens...

Last edited by luxexterior; 09-23-2013 at 02:19 PM.
09-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is pretty unnecessary to ask for that. If they're concerned about fraud, then just use an online card processing system through a third party. PayPal and a few others. Most web hosting companies will offer their's or someone else's seucre payment systems.

Sounds more to me like their website was hacked and the hackers are trying to steal CC's, or someone internally is trying to do the same thing. Don't give them anything, and try to get in touch with a human being as soon as possible!
09-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luxexterior Quote
if you have any questions on any of the above please call us on 01603 486413.
Did you do this?
09-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Did you do this?
Too, late in the evening now. But I will.

09-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

Too, late in the evening now. But I will.
I wouldn't. If it's scam you can be diverted to some premium paid numbers. This email looks like phishing stuff. Rather try some live chats from Wex website or email their customer service. But don't use links from that email you received.
09-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dariusz Quote
I wouldn't. If it's scam you can be diverted to some premium paid numbers. This email looks like phishing stuff. Rather try some live chats from Wex website or email their customer service. But don't use links from that email you received.
I guess that is possible. But this same number appears on their website 01603 486413 Wex Photographic - Digital Camera, Digital SLR Cameras, Lens, Canon, Nikon
09-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The request wasn't signed "Otis", was it? Just checking?

Regards!
09-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Something very odd going on because WEX is a highly reputable UK dealer
09-24-2013, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I would run far and fast; right after I notified my credit card issuer.
+10

What he said!

There are far more, far better, far quicker and far easier options to combat fraud, that don't incorporate treating customers like criminals, and don't require their legal documents. Imagine what they can do with those documents.

It's uncalled for, even if they are trustworthy.
09-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

if this is the website they are safe and genuine Wex Photographic - Digital Camera, Digital SLR Cameras, Lens, Canon, Nikon

their correct phone number is 01603 486413 if you are in the UK. the OP does not show is place of residence.

I have phoned them and yes they do ask for the info in post one under the following circumstances

delivery address is not the same as card address

new customer on first time high value purchase

non UK resident.

Given the volume of card fraud while the info asked for is annoying there is nothing that is contentious or unsecure that they ask for, remember in the UK there is no ID number used so proof of residence via utility bills is the norm.
09-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #14

Original Poster
After sending a mail to Wex I got a call from their customer service.

They apologized for sending me the "suspicious" mail and told me that they will dispatch my order as promised.
They should do like SRS-microsystems, and only accept PayPal for foreign customers.

Best Regards
Lux
09-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

After sending a mail to Wex I got a call from their customer service.

They apologized for sending me the "suspicious" mail and told me that they will dispatch my order as promised.
They should do like SRS-microsystems, and only accept PayPal for foreign customers.

Best Regards
Lux
if you like paypal read this and impliment if you have not already http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/money-finance/credit/paypal-or-credit-card—...safer?page=all