Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Need suggestions on good eats around Boston waterfront area

Headed there tomorrow all the way through Sunday and looking to enjoy good seafood or.....landfood. I could do fancy restaurants but I usually prefer the locals' fave spots.
Thanks in advance.

10-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #2

I am from Jersey, but since no one from Boston has replied, may I suggest Legal Seafood? It is across the street from the aquarium. And the best place to eat in Boston is in Quincy if you asked me.
10-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It's not seafood, but Kelly's Roast Beef is rather tasty......
10-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
It's too bad Buzzy's is gone.

Trying to think of a waterfront place in particular.

I understand Legal Seafoods ain't what it used to be, years ago, ...it's often considered overrated and overpriced. But I don't eat that upscale anyway. Definitely a local spot for occasions, (The story usually is they perennially turn themselves around, then start kinda slipping, then turn themselves around again, I gather. )

I can't think what else on the waterfront per se, I suggest the NOrth End for Italian of course, and/or Fanueil Hall for lunches and such. (I miss Pizzeria Regina sometimes, for a slice or two, but that's been pent-up a while while having been in the Upper Midwest so long before, kind of can't get plain ol pizza like that there. )

10-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just got back from the trip. Though it was 90% business, I managed to squeeze in a little fun, photos and adventure. I enjoyed honking my rental car just to fit in with the locals.

No Name was great, Durgin at Quincy Market was great and a Japanese place in Chinatown was quite an experience. I fit right in as I am Asian but I was clueless with the "hot pot." The Japanese girl looked at me for a minute, smiled and graciously demonstrated how to cook my own food. It was yummy.

I will definitely return for a real vacation but will have to go run for a bit to get rid of this extra pound I gained from that giant lobster.

In my laziest southern drawl, "Thanks y'all."
10-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
I am from Jersey, but since no one from Boston has replied, may I suggest Legal Seafood? It is across the street from the aquarium. And the best place to eat in Boston is in Quincy if you asked me.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's too bad Buzzy's is gone.

Trying to think of a waterfront place in particular.

I understand Legal Seafoods ain't what it used to be, years ago, ...it's often considered overrated and overpriced. But I don't eat that upscale anyway. Definitely a local spot for occasions, (The story usually is they perennially turn themselves around, then start kinda slipping, then turn themselves around again, I gather. )

I can't think what else on the waterfront per se, I suggest the NOrth End for Italian of course, and/or Fanueil Hall for lunches and such. (I miss Pizzeria Regina sometimes, for a slice or two, but that's been pent-up a while while having been in the Upper Midwest so long before, kind of can't get plain ol pizza like that there. )
We wanted to try Legal Seafood but didn't have a chance even though there was one just about everywhere you go. I heard/read similar reviews about Legal not being what it used to be but I would've tried it anyway. Pizzeria Regina was another one we wanted to try but never got the chance.

Thanks guys.
10-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I'll have to look this up in my next trip. Thanks pardner.

10-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
We wanted to try Legal Seafood but didn't have a chance even though there was one just about everywhere you go. I heard/read similar reviews about Legal not being what it used to be but I would've tried it anyway. Pizzeria Regina was another one we wanted to try but never got the chance.

Thanks guys.
Well, I'm glad you had fun. The thing about Legal Seafoods is they've built up so many contradictory impressions over the years, (deservedly) that you'd be better off asking someone who'd been there lately. Always used to be a traditional spot for engagements among certain classes, ie, the fancy place. (There didn't used to be so many of them ) I think my parents actually got engaged there as the done-thing, but I'm not sure at this point.

I still think the 'Boston Drivers' phenomenon is mostly from the point of view of tourists who don't know where they're going and don't fit in. Get everyone cheesed off at em and all. (The general idea is you gotta be aware and decisive about what you do: this generally means knowing your way around, too, since it's not a grid for the most part. Some of those streets literally originated as 17th century goat paths. ) Then again, in this rootless society who knows how many of those drivers are even local to begin with these days. Same reason I'm down here, I suppose.

And I'll have you know I so rarely use a horn I'm probably going to end up putting the heel of my hand to nothing but airbag if I need it around here.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-06-2013 at 04:09 PM.
10-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

In Boston but not on the ocean I'd suggest the original Union Oyster House, very old, very authentic New England. A short ride up route 95N to Seabrook, NH and choose from either Brown's or Marky's both are on the water. Neither are fancy eateries in fact your table will be a picnic type table but what places to eat seafood especially lobster, steamers and fried clams and/or scallops. Don't want fried order the lobster roll. Dang getting hungry.
10-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I still think the 'Boston Drivers' phenomenon is mostly from the point of view of tourists who don't know where they're going and don't fit in. Get everyone cheesed off at em and all.
I actually thought it was part of the fun. After a couple days driving downtown I knew where I needed to go so I honked, smiled and drove with confidence.
10-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster

10-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
In Boston but not on the ocean I'd suggest the original Union Oyster House, very old, very authentic New England. A short ride up route 95N to Seabrook, NH and choose from either Brown's or Marky's both are on the water. Neither are fancy eateries in fact your table will be a picnic type table but what places to eat seafood especially lobster, steamers and fried clams and/or scallops. Don't want fried order the lobster roll. Dang getting hungry.
That's really the kind of place to get seafood, if you asked me.
10-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh, and pretty shots, Sage. Not a view I'd see a whole lot of, myself. Does make me think how much has changed since I was a kid. Though I saw some of that happening around there. I was a bike messenger during the Big Dig. (Speaking of the full Boston driving experience, try it on two wheels flying blind through weaving corridors of plywood. )
10-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, and pretty shots, Sage. Not a view I'd see a whole lot of, myself. Does make me think how much has changed since I was a kid. Though I saw some of that happening around there. I was a bike messenger during the Big Dig. (Speaking of the full Boston driving experience, try it on two wheels flying blind through weaving corridors of plywood. )
Thanks RML.

I keep hearing about that Big Dig. I guess I could Google it but what was it?
10-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
Thanks RML.

I keep hearing about that Big Dig. I guess I could Google it but what was it?
Oh, well, since the late 50's/early 60s, there was a big elevated highway cutting through that area, sort of cut Southie and the North End off from the rest of town, as well as, to a degree, the waterfront there. So, in a massive construction project, they spent a good chunk of the past couple of decades putting that highway (93/the Central Artery) and a lot of stuff underground, in order to make greenspace and local connections above, among other things. That new modern bridge is part of it. (I never saw it quite finished, but saw parts of it. Admittedly I'll probably feel pretty disoriented by its absence if I get back around there, but it's a big help, even if it's also upscaled a lot of things around there by now.