Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Internet shop won't take my money.

In my other hobby, old electronics, I spent an hour on the site of a company with Texas address that sells specialized old parts.
On check-out with my shopping cart the payment options were Paypal, plus an alternative drop down box , listing check, USPS money order, cashier check, bank transfer etc.
So I selected money order and placed the order, and got a confirmation email
"Your online Order Confirmation"
"Payment Type: Money Order Shipping Method: FREE SHIPPING FOR ORDERS ABOVE 40 US$ "

Last night I got a more or less curt email saying that per the terms on their site, I have to use Paypal or they won't ship.
I checked again there are no such terms visible, and indeed, the drop down options are still there.

In fact here is the relevant term on the site"
"If you have used a payment method other than Paypal, we will send you email with payment information, no physical items will be shipped, and no download links will be send before full payment has been received, and registered to our account.
We will send you an email as soon as payment has been received, and we will keep you informed on the process of your order."

So I replied with that and asked if they could complete the transaction per the facility they offer.

- No reply , I think they just want me to go away.

That transaction would be a contract, would'nt it?

10-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
That transaction would be a contract, would'nt it?
I don't think so. A contract requires three elements; offer, acceptance, and consideration. They could argue that no consideration (money, goods, or services) has been exchanged.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.
10-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As I understand from reading on the legal sites, (in USA at least, since legislation in Clinton era) on an internet transaction the buyer's click and the seller's confirmation form a bi-lateral contract. The valuable consideration each way is the promise by both parties.

Anyway for a small purchase there is not much either party can do for recourse, except in cases like theft or fraud.

In this case the seller sent me 5 emails over 7 days complaining that he didn't like me using his listed alternatives to Paypal, he just wanted to use Paypal.

But yesterday he asked me to go ahead and pay by money order as per the original confirmation.

I have been buying photographic and other hobby stuff on internet for about 10 years, maybe 20 per year, and only about 2 problems so far with payment, so i suppose the "system" basically works.
10-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have an aversion to PayPal?

10-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #5

It's Standard Operating Procedure not to ship until payment has been received (and usually cleared). The sites that still accept checks or money orders usually have you print out the order to send with your payment. Not too much different than ordering from a print catalog and paying by check. Back in the day before PayPal eBay sellers would not ship until payment was received and cleared by the bank. Money orders were preferred and usually shipped on receipt of the payment. Almost nobody took credit cards

The seller probably prefers PayPal because he/she doesn't have to make a trip to the bank to deposit the check. Nowadays some banks charge a service fee for making deposits.

The owner probably paid somebody to setup the web store and may not have even been aware the payment options were on there.
10-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's Standard Operating Procedure not to ship until payment has been received (and usually cleared).
Yes of course, I have been doing all my transactions like that since Paypal cut me off when my lifetime spending reached exactly $10,000.
My transactions are small , if seller does not take Amex I use personal checks with forum members and money orders with others, and all have worked OK till this one.

.... Well the saga continues.....
I got an email to say my money order has been received but is not acceptable because it is not in the correct name, inviting me to send another personal check or money order.
In the body of an earlier email I was requested to make the money order to another business name, and mail it to the seller's "real" name and address.
Well I didn't notice that alternative name and I had, would not have proceeded.

So I sent the money order in the name of the seller's company name, to the seller's address.

All in all, I think this one is either fraud (less likely) or, re-reading all the emails, business incompetence (more likely) so I am not going to continue, I will try to stop the USPS money order next Monday.
10-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The owner probably paid somebody to setup the web store and may not have even been aware the payment options were on there.
Oh the seller was aware of it all along , but is still blaming me for actually using the payment options on the web site.

I got a bit alarmed when seller wanted another payment in the different name, so I sent him email with my recourse options and mentioned BBB etc.
Back came another diatribe today. This time, playing the martyr, he says he is going to ship the parts anyway, even though I am such a troublesome, bad boy for using his other payment options, and then sending payment to his business name

Really I now feel that I won't enjoy fixing that old oscilloscope with those parts if they ever arrive here.

The seller probably prefers PayPal because he/she doesn't have to make a trip to the bank to deposit the check.
Sure, but Seller lists all sorts of options so I don't care how troublesome they are, that's his business decision. If he wants Paypal only he should not make all the other options available.
10-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I won't take money orders or checks any more (I sell on eBay often) because of fraud from both forms of payment. And the problem is that the check or MO can clear, the item ship, and then six weeks or more later the bank can call and say it was a fraudulent slip and take the money back. Then there's no item and no payment. So even though PayPal charge 30 cents per transaction plus 3% (I think), it's better than getting stuck even once or twice with a fake money order.

That said, if someone says they will take a money order, they should.