Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tucson, AZ trip coming up

Quick 3 night stay in Dove Mountain last weekend in October. I plan on experimenting with wide lenses and astrophotography but any tips on photo sites would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sage97; 10-13-2013 at 05:00 PM.
10-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well... the drive out to the observatory at Kitt Peak is nice.
The Pima Air Museum is cool if you like airplanes and the Titan Missile Museum at Green Valley is very cool.
Saguaro National Park is quite fascinating for the all the cactus you can see... provided it's open what with the US government budget problem at present.
If you can, the visit to the "boneyard" at Davis Monthan AFB is fascinating.
There's an abandoned mission church at Tumacacori (just South of Tucson) that's quite photogenic.

Some shots from our last visit are here... Tucson - a set on Flickr

Have a good trip!
10-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sabino Canyon - just on the edge of the city is a great walk at dusk or dawn. Mission San Xavier del Bac (The White Dove of the Desert) has some great photo opportunities (check it on the web). It is not far from the city. They sold great Navajo fry bread at a trailer outside when I was there (a looooong time ago). The old Presidio in the city may also be worth a look. But I can second Kitt Peak (you need a whole day for that) and Saguaro National Monument. Takes me back to my MX days when the only lenses I had were the M50/1.7 and a Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5.
10-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fantastic suggestions!

Kitt Peak is now top on my list especially for landscape astrophotography. I hope the sky will be clear next weekend. Mission San Xavier is number two and that boneyard at the AFB looks like its number three. My gf will definitely want to walk around so Sabino Canyon seems perfect.

I'm staying at the Ritz and from their site, the photo ops around that area seem awesome too.

Thanks CP140 and PJ1.

10-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
There's an abandoned mission church at Tumacacori (just South of Tucson) that's quite photogenic.
Is this the Mission San Xavier?

Awesome pics CP140 and thanks again!
10-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

don't miss catalina park and the giant sahuaro/saguaro

if you want a good hike, go up to romero canyon with pools and waterfall
10-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
Is this the Mission San Xavier?

Awesome pics CP140 and thanks again!
No that's Tumacacori... we were sheltering in a small outbuilding during a hail storm... I got bored waiting for the hail to stop, so I started taking photos through the "window"

10-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, San Xavier del Bac is not Tumacacori. San Xavier is very close to Tucson and still in use (except only one of its two domes was never completed - in the Spanish days the churches didn't start paying taxes until they were complete, so they never used to finish the second dome!)
10-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
don't miss catalina park and the giant sahuaro/saguaro

if you want a good hike, go up to romero canyon with pools and waterfall
Yeah! That giant cactus looks very cool. I'll have to look at Catalina Park.

QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
No that's Tumacacori... we were sheltering in a small outbuilding during a hail storm... I got bored waiting for the hail to stop, so I started taking photos through the "window"
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
No, San Xavier del Bac is not Tumacacori. San Xavier is very close to Tucson and still in use (except only one of its two domes was never completed - in the Spanish days the churches didn't start paying taxes until they were complete, so they never used to finish the second dome!)
Very cool. I'll have to check on Tumacacori.

Guys, while you're at it, I'd appreciate some tips on where to go for some good food! Haha!
10-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
Forum Member

Madera Canyon is super dark and away from the city. 20 min from my house and where I have taken some great Milky Way photo's.
10-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpsassy1965 Quote
Madera Canyon is super dark and away from the city. 20 min from my house and where I have taken some great Milky Way photo's.
Sounds fantastic. I sure would like to see some of your pics. Thank you very much.
10-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
Sounds fantastic. I sure would like to see some of your pics. Thank you very much.
Here are 3 of my Milky Way Photo's. Two were taken at Tucson Mountain park and the one with the telephone pole was taken at Madera Canyon.
Attached Images

10-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Make sure you visit the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona. It is remarkable. When I visited several years ago, they had on display a Matthew Brady photograph that was printed by Ansel Adams. So fine.

M
10-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpsassy1965 Quote
Here are 3 of my Milky Way Photo's. Two were taken at Tucson Mountain park and the one with the telephone pole was taken at Madera Canyon.
Great pics. PM sent.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Make sure you visit the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona. It is remarkable. When I visited several years ago, they had on display a Matthew Brady photograph that was printed by Ansel Adams. So fine.

M
Will do. Great suggestion. Thanks Miguel.
10-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got back from Tucson and had a blast. Unfortunately, my photography skills were so lacking that all the astrolandscape pics I took are mostly trash. I have tons more to learn. Also, we couldn't do Kitt Peak as I had forgotten to reserve a spot in advance and the lady working there did not take kindly to my begging.

I did enjoy Saguaro Park, San Xavier (and the Indian style sopapillas) and the scenery surrounding The Ritz Carlton. We enjoyed just driving around. My gf enjoyed dining at this place called Feast. It was ok for me, a little too uppity for my personality. We meant to visit the AFB but quickly ran out of time.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions.