Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #1

Any Bourbon fans here?

Been a Beer drinker most of my life but recently I have been getting into whiskey. My favorites all seem to be Bourbons except for one beautiful bottle of Middletons Irish whiskey (which was very expensive).

I have gone through most of the bourbons at my local liquor store and have found one that I really enjoy. In fact I seem to be draining these bottles very quickly

So any other bourbon drinkers out there? What are your favorites. I need more to try

03-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I drink Maker's Mark when I am in the mood for a good glass of bourbon
03-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Middletons!!!!!! omg I love you man...
Ithat is my favorite of all whiskeies! hardly anyone knows of it, and yes its uber $$$, for thoes who do not know it, it cost about 1/7-1/8 a 31mm limited @ fill $900 price point yes thats about $125/bottle.
Man you should come to the gathering in june, I will buy a bottle just for that, we can sit on the deck and enjoy
However I will now have to try this onther one you listed to see how it ranks... (hard to compair overall against Middletons, but the wallet tends to disagree sometimes) One thats close is Read-Head (i think, I only have it at this 1 bar by me, its close, but deff not Middletons)
03-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Middletons!!!!!! omg I love you man...
Ithat is my favorite of all whiskeies! hardly anyone knows of it, and yes its uber $$$, for thoes who do not know it, it cost about 1/7-1/8 a 31mm limited @ fill $900 price point yes thats about $125/bottle.
Man you should come to the gathering in june, I will buy a bottle just for that, we can sit on the deck and enjoy
However I will now have to try this onther one you listed to see how it ranks... (hard to compair overall against Middletons, but the wallet tends to disagree sometimes) One thats close is Read-Head (i think, I only have it at this 1 bar by me, its close, but deff not Middletons)
I tend to prefer Scotch. An every day one is Pinch (also known as Dimple) a 25 year blend. But then there is the single malt Glenlivets ... Need another mortgage!

03-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
edl
Veteran Member

Walk away from the bourbons now, while you still have time. They will eat you alive!

My personal fav is Woodford Reserve, followed by Wild Turkey. They don't spend much on marketing, but it's a good bourbon.
03-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

not any more, unfortunately.

Old Van Winkle and several of its brands generally win every bourbon award.

Its interesting, bourbon has never traveled well, being almost non existant outside North America. Unlike the jauggernaut that is Scotch. When I used to imbibe, I thought a few of the Baker or was it Booker clan and your Van Winkles were much tastier than any fine single malt, I tried a lot!
03-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I don't drink. Note that's a relative phrase, as compared to my peers I don't drink, meaning I've never eschewed food for a week in order to purchase three slabs of Toohey's Extra Dry (a horrendous beer that is sadly popular for some reason.)

I do occasionally like a good Bourbon.

I do like a good bourbon. Scotch never did it for me - too rich, maybe a bit too peaty for my tastes. But Bourbon's good. A little warmer, a little rougher, maybe, than Scotch - not a bad thing! - a little brighter on the palate.

My favourite find-it-in-almost-any-bar is Makers Mark, a good starting point, better than Jim Beam White Label. My high-level fairly-common favourite is Booker's, really nice stuff.

My ultimate is when I was back at Mum's place last - some stuff her partner bought when he was touring the US for some rugby thing - IW Harper's "Bottled In Bond" stuff that came in a crystal decanter. He's a Scotch man, so he doesn't drink it. Beautiful stuff.

Stay the hell away from whatever bourbon's advertised most in the bar - Cougar, Bulleit, whatever. It's mass-produced, cookie-cut, corporate idealisation of Bourbon, easy, cheap, undaring and inoffensive, designed to be laden with soft-drinks, energy, anything to hide its lack of taste and refinement. It's a means to intoxication, the be-all end-all of en vogue drinking, where flavour is secondary, somewhere off in the distance, almost an inconvenient side effect of the alcohol making and selling process.

I was amazed that my local, the Newmarket Hotel, has a good range of both Scotch and Bourbon. Maybe I'll head down there tonight and get some photos for some of you, eh?

03-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
As much as my small college budget allows, I do enjoy bourbon a good bourbon. I really like Maker's Mark but it's a little on the pricey side and just doesn't quite provide the subtle bite I like. I've had Jim Beam and have sworn it off as crap, even converted my dad away from it. No, my choice is the reasonable Buffalo Trace. Sure, there's better but for the price and my situation it works out great for me.