Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sh-There Goes My K5II...

...and maybe my loaner K-7 too unless I can sell some stuff this next week or two. It's always f-in SOMETHING, ARRGH! I feel like Charlie Brown some days, you know what I mean? Seems like anytime I get more than a couple hundred $$$ saved something happens and I end up broke. I was taking a shower the other night and I got out and noticed as I did that the tub floor near the drain was a bit crunchy. Thought that was a bit weird but I thought it was maybe the tub paint was getting old on it and I made a mental note to hit the Home Depot and see what I could find to reseal it. I figured maybe I could use that stuff they use to repair porcelain sinks? Or boat sealant. Uhuh, next thing you know this HUGE hole just opens up and everything near the tub near drain starts to crumble. Apparently under the porcelain paint there's some rust and not much else. Can't be repaired. I need a whole new tub, new tub surround, and some plumbing work most likely done. Fortunately I saw the hole before Mr Kitten did or I might be minus one small boy cat about now too.

I am now interviewing contractors. I am on #5 and not one of them thinks this tub can be replaced for less than 2.5K-4K apparently and most of them are quoting a heck of a lot more than that. None of them wants to start work until they get half at least besides, plus payment due on the second half is due upon completion. I am totally freaking my arse off wondering how in heck I am going to cover this. Snowball's chance in hell but I'm going to hit up the credit union for a home improvement loan anyway. I'm PISSED. The timing on this could not be worse but so far it looks like buying a new mobile home would almost be cheaper than trying to buy a new tub! I can't not repair it though so f- does about cover it.

10-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
dang, ive been pretty lucky compared to that. However, it does seem like everytime i am about to get ahead something sets me back...
10-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I am on #5 and not one of them thinks this tub can be replaced for less than 2.5K-4K apparently
That sounds ridiculously high for a tub replacement.
f- does about cover it
We don't allow harsh profanities, even in masked form so I assume by F- you are referring to the flashing F- in the top LCD when you forget to enable "Allow Use of Aperture Ring" when using a manual lens, Right?
10-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear of your plight Mag... only a couple of weeks ago I had $2.5k saved for a new lens (or a K-3 at least) but was hit by a wave of expenses that almost took that to zero. Like you almost every time I think I have money the world puts me straight and back in my place.

I'm laid up with a dodgy back (a regular thing these days) which has me thinking that I will probably have to sell off my Nikon gear and simplify my hardware to the point where I may be better off just giving up photography altogether.

10-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get that F--- every time I hook up to my APO telescope!.
No chance you could just DIY or find a friend or relative that is SKILLED and willing to help.
10-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh yeah, right, F lens thing, yeah, sure I was!!! :P LOL Six contractors in as of tomorrow. Not one of them quoted less than 2K and most of them were 3 or 4K or even more. I'm practically hyperventilating. You can't see it but I'm about half way through a pint of B&J's at the moment and that's something I rarely do anymore, just eat rich ice cream straight out of the pint. They can't just replace the tub. It has to be the whole thing, tub, surround and pipes. It's the way they are made. It's a bit cheaper I think to do just a shower and I may just do that but still I'm looking at a ton of money for something that I didn't expect to happen at all. I can't just sell all my gear. It's how I am making my living, such as it is, but I may be thinning out a lot now for sure.
10-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Curses. Having had a full bathroom makeover (total strip out including walls and ceiling), I understand where you are coming from.

Credit card?

10-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That sounds ridiculously high for a tub replacement.
Mag, very sorry for your tub tragedy. We all go through something like this every so often. One year I lost a central air conditioner, water heater, range, and refrigerator all in the span of 10 days.

As for that cost.....I'm not there, but it doesn't sound out of line to me. The last tub I replaced before I retired ended up at around $3500. I didn't go back with a tub, the customer was elderly and I went back with a large walk in in shower instead, marble walls and floor and a glass front.

Unless you just want a tub, you might consider some of the shower kits at Home Depot or Lowes. It might be a little cheaper and easier to install.
This is one from Home Depot I installed in my bath a couple of years ago when I remodeled my bathroom...
[IMG] [/IMG]

Here are some shots from the project as well as some shots of Mrs Rupert's bathroom at the end showing her sunken tub....all acrylic, nothing to rust.
Bathroom Makeover - a set on Flickr

Good luck, I'd come help you but my foot is still broken!

Regards!
10-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Curses. Having had a full bathroom makeover (total strip out including walls and ceiling), I understand where you are coming from.

Credit card?
Nope. I only have two. One for Walmart and one regular V/MC one. They both only have like $500 limits and they're not at $0 just now either. Due to past health issues my credit is just barely okay now. It's not horrible but I can't get a nicer card. Yet. Working on it, but not yet. One of these guys was talking financing in his quote. I have to ask him more about that. I'm really hoping I can pay it in installments with him. It would help a lot if I could. But none of the others even mentioned that so I'm guessing they don't.
10-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Mag, very sorry for your tub tragedy. We all go through something like this every so often. One year I lost a central air conditioner, water heater, range, and refrigerator all in the span of 10 days.

As for that cost.....I'm not there, but it doesn't sound out of line to me. The last tub I replaced before I retired ended up at around $3500. I didn't go back with a tub, the customer was elderly and I went back with a large walk in in shower instead, marble walls and floor and a glass front.

Unless you just want a tub, you might consider some of the shower kits at Home Depot or Lowes. It might be a little cheaper and easier to install.
This is one from Home Depot I installed in my bath a couple of years ago when I remodeled my bathroom...
[/url] [/IMG]

Here are some shots from the project as well as some shots of Mrs Rupert's bathroom at the end showing her sunken tub....all acrylic, nothing to rust.
Bathroom Makeover - a set on Flickr

Good luck, I'd come help you but my foot is still broken!

Regards!
I can't do some of the work that needs to be done unfortunately or I'd probably give it a go, seriously. But my household repair skills stop at small jobs. I don't have the physical ability, hard tools, or the know how to do this one or I would believe me. Small jobs I can do. I have a tool box and in fact I just changed out 2 door locks the other day. First time I've ever done that one. I was so proud of myself when I was done. But the mysteries of plumbing and electrical work? Not my area of expertise as they say. They have to actually lay a floor under it and change out a jammed pipe and some other stuff. It's more complicated than not unfortunately and it's just beyond me.
10-22-2013, 05:34 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Mag.....Can you post a photo of the drain area damage? I might be able to give you a way for a temporary repair that could last long enough for you to get your finances in order.
Regards!
10-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I am now interviewing contractors.
It's really not hard to do it yourself, especially if you don't change the form factor of the bath.

Good luck.
10-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am on #5 and not one of them thinks this tub can be replaced for less than 2.5K-4K apparently
Have a heart, think about the poor plumbers suffering if you don't, they also need new cameras, nice cars, some even have to feed squirrel armies!

But seriously, I feel for you. My wife always reminds me, when something like that happens, that everything happens for a reason...sometimes the reason just takes a while before we see it, so hang in there, when it is time for you to get that new camera, you'll have the money, and you'll know it's the right time, who knows, it might even be a FF

I actually just returned from my home, a hot water pipe near the geyser burst, the good news, it's not in the roof, bad news, according to the plumber all the old iron pipes, (and that is all the pipes) must be replaced....waiting for a quotation. To make matters worse, I bought my first AF prime, a new DA 70 2.4 ltd, about a week ago, you know the price...

Last edited by altopiet; 10-22-2013 at 09:49 PM.
10-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Mag, I would suggest you go to Tx and kidnap Rupert except he has a gimp leg. Word among the squirrels is he's a very good plumber fair carpenter . . . just keep him off the roof.
10-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More later guys. Not having a good day. Feeling like crap. Will get back to this shortly with pics. Tks.