Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
eyedness/handedness/other nesses

Those of you who frequent (or used to frequent) dpreview may recall that back in August I was asking about people's eyedness, etc. What eye do you shoot with? What's your dominant writing hand? When you fold your hands with fingers interlaced, which thumb comes out on top? When you fold your arms across your chest, which arm is on top? I got busy analysing thesis data and wasn't too keen on spending my free time analysing more data, so it got set aside. Today I finally got back to it, having stumbled on a suitable statistical test buried in a sub-sub menu of the stats package I use.

The upshot of it all is, none of these things are related. How you fold you arms is entirely independent of what hand you write with, etc. There was one funny little thing, though: Left-eye shooters are slightly more likely than expected to be LLL or RRR for the other things, while right-eye shooters are slightly less likely than expected to be so. Here's a graph: The orange bars are the slightly higher than expected numbers of LLLL and LRRR, the blue are the slightly lower than expected RLLL and RRRR.

So I've managed to demonstrate a marginally statistically significant relationship with absolutely no functional significance that I can think of. But I'm a science nerd, so it makes me happy. I hope you enjoy pondering this vital piece of information.

Julie

01-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm a

RRRL.

RRRR just feels SO WRONG!
01-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
RRRL.

RRRR just feels SO WRONG!
That's what got me onto this, years ago, I suppose I was about 12 - my parents and I were sitting around the table having just finished a meal, and we all had our hands folded. Mum and I were right thumb on top, Dad was left. We started wondering about it, and all tried the other way, and all found it felt wrong . Arm folding was even funnier - none of us could keep our arms folded the wrong way, they simply slipped apart. So that became my science project, polling our neighbours about how they fold their arms, etc. Nothing about eyedness in photography, though. Pointless exercise, but fun!

Julie
01-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

It took me a sec to figure it all out but I am (drum roll please!) an RRLR! And Tom, you're wrong, RRLL feels so wrong .

01-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll chime in...

Simply messed up, that's what I am...

It depends - I normally do the following:

L/R - landscape/portrait
L/R - throw with my left, write with my right, eat with either...
L - usually!
L - usually, not always...

I need a psycho-analysis....

Cheers,
Marc
01-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

LLLR

Hmmm....what's with the incorrect folded arms with the right hand on top. I do tuck my left hand under my right arm so I believe it's an instinct to protect my dominant hand. Of course that could be hogwash.

Still, I'm a lefty and that means left everything. Right eye would be much nicer to get my nose away from the lcd screen.

Dan
01-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

RRRR. Anything else feels like I'm wearing my socks to bed.

Addendum:
Today I am RRLR. What is happening to me!!
Looked down while not concentrating on my hand position and noticed my left thumb was on top.
Now I have to wear socks to bed to feel normal.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-20-2007 at 03:23 PM.
01-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Inactive Account

RRRL here Julie.

Good shooting.
Cheers: David
01-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I think I responded to that survey - I'm a LRLR - very strange... but there are a few of us. My wife laughs at me when I hold the camera to my face... she's right eyed
01-19-2007, 01:31 AM   #10

I am:

Right eyed
Right handed
Left thumb on top
Right arm on top
01-19-2007, 04:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm LLRR

But my handedness is a little messed up. I write, eat, and play guitar lefthanded, but throw, deal cards, bat (if I batted) and golf (if I golfed) righthanded.
01-19-2007, 05:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
RRRR. Anything else feels like I'm wearing my socks to bed.
Evidently you keep your house warmer than I do...

Julie
01-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Branimir Quote
I am:

Right eyed
How can this be? Your Avatar must have been posed so we could see your face.
01-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm really pretty ambidextrous. The only thing I tend to be more of is right-eyed, and I generally ID as a lefty. Either thumb and either arm can go on top.

I write, serve (tennis&volleyball) and spike volleyballs with my right hand. I use a mouse, shoot basketballs, use a fork, and do most everything predominately with my left. I can sign competently (ASL, fingerspell), and place rock climbing protection equally well with either hand, as well as dribble (but most guards can do that.)
01-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neat survey

I'm ambidextrous: clumsy with both hands. Left eye dominant, but that's just laziness or so says the eye doc. And fat folks who cross their arms have trouble breathing and look pompous; breathing is a problem I don't need, but I try to not look pompous. Clasping hands is something for church but right over left is natural when not twiddling the thumbs or playing finger games.