Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is just my opinion

I've been thinking about what makes a photographer the best that they can be for a while now.

And I've come to realize that it really doesn't mater what camera we're shooting with.
Or our eye, or even understanding exposure.

It's what's truly in our heart, and being able to show it through our art form.

Taking photography in school will teach you the basics, however it won't give you better results when your heart is in the wrong place.

If your having problems getting your thoughts into your work there are several of us here who will help you through that stage with just a quick Private Message. Or a post on one of the regular forums.
Just ask, and we'll see what we can do.

Just so everyone knows, my Pentax K100D was my first SLR camera. Which I purchased in September 2006.
I've gotten to where I'm at by following my heart, and with the help of several people on this forum. I have absolutely no formal training.

So my honest opinion anyone can do the same.

04-01-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I've been thinking about what makes a photographer the best that they can be for a while now.

And I've come to realize that it really doesn't mater what camera we're shooting with.

Taking photography in school will teach you the basics, however it won't give you better results when your heart is in the wrong place.

If your having problems getting your thoughts into your work there are several of us here who will help you through that stage with just a quick Private Message. Or a post on one of the regular forums.
Just ask, and we'll see what we can do.

Just so everyone knows, my Pentax K100D was my first SLR camera. Which I purchased in September 2006.
I've gotten to where I'm at by following my heart, and with the help of several people on this forum. I have absolutely no formal training.

So my honest opinion anyone can do the same.

Much to be said for that Stu. I've already had help from several of the forum members and that help was greatly appreciated.

I had lunch with another of the forum members on Saturday and this very subject came up in our conversation.

First, and foremost, to me is..... Just exactly who am I taking the photograph for? I'm starting to feel that I've spent several months attempting to please everyone else with my photographs when it is actually me that I need to please. If I'm not happy with it, all of the criticism, disecting and rejecting won't change a thing.

Having said that, the criticism, disecting and rejecting does help me, and has helped me, become a better photographer.

cheers,

Ed
04-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
First, and foremost, to me is..... Just exactly who am I taking the photograph for? I'm starting to feel that I've spent several months attempting to please everyone else with my photographs when it is actually me that I need to please. If I'm not happy with it, all of the criticism, disecting and rejecting won't change a thing.

Having said that, the criticism, disecting and rejecting does help me, and has helped me, become a better photographer.

That is exactly right! I went through a period like the one you mentioned. I had been doing photography for a while, found a magazine that liked my work, and began having some success. But I fell into a trap of trying to guess what other people would like and started shooting for them, instead of myself. What happened was that I lost those qualities which had attracted the magazine to my work in the first place. Then they changed editors and they quit using most of the photographers they'd used before so it didn't really matter anymore. Now...I'm back to shooting just to make myself happy.
04-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've been arguing the same point for years - it is NOT the brand name of the equipment. The equipment will get you to where you want to go - if used properly. I've had a 35mm or 2, since the early 60s (IAM 55) but still consider myself a novice.

My opinion is that photography is a very personal subject and we use the results to share our thoughts with others. Sometimes, the technical use of light AND the equipment will help us present those thoughts "in better light".

As for asking the questions, my biggest wish has always been and will remain lighting - real and artificial.

Good subject Stu.

04-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I was listening to an interview with a successful song writer the other day and he said almost the same thing. He said, "What I learned is that the basis for most good songs should be love. I don't mean it has to be a song about love. I mean writing it because you love it. That was a huge lesson for me. And it cost me a fortune!" lol
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #6

"I've been thinking about what makes a photographer the best that they can be for a while now."

IMHO the worst photogrpher is the one who is not ready to take the photo - missed oppurtunity is the photographers worst enemy. Have you ever had the thought "wish I had my camera"?

A photo can still be good even if it is technically poor but with no photo you are just like a clown without an audience....... unfortunatley I know this from experience...lol

cheers
Keith
04-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

a good artist can explain why his work is good, or should be good

if you cant explain why you like your photograph, or why others like your photograph, and when asked the question "why did you choose these colours?" you have blank stare on your face, then you are not an artist, you simply got lucky.

there are theories of colour, theories of symmetry and geometric balance, compostition, distance, relation and so forth.

one would be wise to invest some time into learning them.

04-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Passion..

I've been thinking about what makes a photographer the best that they can be for a while now. And I've come to realize that it really doesn't mater what camera we're shooting with or our eye, or even understanding exposure.

It's what's truly in our heart, and being able to show it through our art form. Taking photography in school will teach you the basics, however it won't give you better results when your heart is in the wrong place.
Well said Stu... When art of any type.. photography, painting, crafts.. whatever it may be.. the true works of art can be felt. Anyone can know or learn the basics as well as take a picture.., but to be good or even great... you have to be able to put feeling into your work... (put heart into it as Stu says)..

It is true.. but I would even take it a step further and call it passion. Eveyone needs to have a passion for something in life... Something that you can throw yourself into and get lost..

You can tell those that are truly passionate about thier photography... you can tell it in thier words when they talk about thier pictures as well as in thier pictures themselves. They put thier heart into thier work because they believe it in.. These kind of people dont do photographer for the paycheck (well most anyway).. they do it because they love it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Much to be said for that Stu. I've already had help from several of the forum members and that help was greatly appreciated. I had lunch with another of the forum members on Saturday and this very subject came up in our conversation Ed
You are right Ed.. this forum is a wonderful place. I just met a fellow pentaxian last night and she had never heard of this site before... I couldnt' tell her enough about it.. I hope she checks it out and decides to join..

I believe that one of the main reasons that this forum is so great is because we have people like Stu and others (to many to mention) that are passionate about photography and want to make it better for everyone, thus are willing to share thier vast amounts of information.

This is a very nice thread Stu... Thanks for starting it..

Kim
04-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

I have presented the following quote a few times here that sums up a philosophy of photography that I try (note the word try) to follow:

"The truth is that anybody can make a photograph.
The trouble is not that photographs are hard to make.
The trouble is that they are hard to make intelligent and interesting”
John Szarkowski 2000 1925-2007

John Szarkowski was the director of photography at MOMA from 1962 until 1991. He worked with Winogrand, Diane Arbus, Lee Friedlander and others to bring photography out from the role of a method of documentary to that of fine art. He was the first to hold photography only exhibitions at MOMA.

I shoot now, just for me and what I want and I am tired of hearing about how a new piece of equipment will make someone a better photographer. The camera does not “see” you do, so work at it.

Another quote:
"It's all about the image"
Bob Sacha 2005 Santa Fe

That about says it all. Now, if I could just get that third line of Szarkowski's quote to happen more than once a decade or so (if I am lucky).

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL