Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Recommendation for a smart phone...

Hi

I've decided my (very old) Nokia is no longer up to the job and It's time to get a smartphone.

I was just wondering what everyone uses. I especially am attracted to the fact that there are photography apps and there is interconnectivity between phone and camera (e.g. IR, or flucard with K-3) which I think will be very useful for time-lapse and various other uses.

I'd prob not be looking at the top of the range £500 smartphone but was attracted the the Nexus 5, or something similar as it looks like good value.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

11-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi,

My suggestion would be a Samsung Galaxy S4 (Advantages are many but disadvantage would be a plastic body - Many people hate it, but with a cover it is great).

My second suggestion, which is something would be my second choice if I cannot ignore the plastic body is Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD (It has the WORLD's best battery life! PERIOD! If you want more, Motorola has been bought by Google, so I suppose all the Android juice from Google would be going to Motorola in the future. - If I think its right).

Those were my two cents, in the end a mans gotta do whatta mans gotta do.

Cheers!
11-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Nexus5 is good value.
The HTC One is also a very nice android phone. Yes, I know most people who pick Android would buy Samsung, but IMHO, HTC tuned android UI is way better and more user friendlier than the Touchwiz android ui tuned by Samsung.
11-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Whether you choose iPhone, Android or Windows Phone, the market is robust and healthy right now and there are lots of great apps and features on each. Right now it's hard to go wrong with any of them. I'd go and get some hands on time with the different OS', and decide what important to you feature-wise. After that, go with what you like.

11-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nexus 4 I if you can find one or the new 5 version
11-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Nexus 4 I if you can find one or the new 5 version
It's strange that you can now find Nexus5 much cheaper than Nexus4.
11-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote
Hi

I've decided my (very old) Nokia is no longer up to the job and It's time to get a smartphone.

I was just wondering what everyone uses. I especially am attracted to the fact that there are photography apps and there is interconnectivity between phone and camera (e.g. IR, or flucard with K-3) which I think will be very useful for time-lapse and various other uses.

I'd prob not be looking at the top of the range £500 smartphone but was attracted the the Nexus 5, or something similar as it looks like good value.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I chose HTC one over s4 as my first smartphone for the cool camera and more accurate ( to my eyes anyway) colors among other things and have been very happy with it. check it out ;-)

11-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you have a mac at home? if you do, the interoperability between the iPhone and OS X cannot be beat.

Personally i have an iPhone, as does my whole family. never had any problems with them, and they just work. I can't count how many times my wife has dropped hers in the tub (i have no idea how she does it) but she has yet to fry one.

If it's apps you're interested in, then either iOS or android is pretty much going to offer the same thing. windows not so much.

HTC/motorola/samsung make some good phones, my personal preference just happens to be apple.
11-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using Nokia's for ages, at the moment I've got the Lumia 920. Nokia concentrates on their smartphone cameras and build quality have always been superb, unfortunately the Windows operating system is a bit new in smartphones and are quite a lot behind regarding the availability of apps, but that should change as more people switch to it, which is happening. At the moment, if I was in your place, I would probably go for a Samsung Galaxy, and if you decide to upgrade in few years time, compare them all again.
11-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I find that one of the most important aspects is battery life, and whether the phone allows you to exchange batteries (so you can have a backup). Photography apps.. I havent found very many that are actually useful out there, when taking photos.
Edit: Of course, the K-3 with its flu card could be a game changer in this regard.
11-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm smartphone shopping too and have looked at a lot lately. I like iOS better than Android but the iPhone is smaller and my eyesight isn't getting better with age. That said, the screen on the 5s is superb and I had no difficulty reading or doing anything with the display model. It's also unavailable to Verizon customers around my area until late November or December. Back ordered and a long waiting list. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is nice. My wife has the Galaxy Note but it's BIG. The new Nokia has a top notch camera, probably the best phone camera out there and the phones have a reputation for being rugged.
11-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IPhone.
11-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

<p>After nearly 3 years of Android, I switched from Galaxy 3 to a lumia 920 and have just got a lumia 1020. I love the build quality as well as the camera which on the 1020 just blows me away.</p>
<p>Thoroughly recommended, though with one caveat, write down all your essential apps and then check to see if there is a WP8 version. Im pretty much OK, all I want now is a decent mkv player but that is all and WP8 is so fast compared to android, it has been very well optimized</p>
11-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote
Hi

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I'd go with Blackberry, any model. I have owned nothing other than Blackberries and I know multiple people who switched from Blackberry to iPhone but ultimately switched back. I also think they've got a great camera.
11-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
I'd go with Blackberry, any model. I have owned nothing other than Blackberries and I know multiple people who switched from Blackberry to iPhone but ultimately switched back. I also think they've got a great camera.
i don't think i'd go with blackberry anything right now. too much flux, and there is a real possibility that in the near future blackberry will no longer be a hardware company. Maybe wait a year or so to see how everything shakes out.