Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
I know multiple people who switched from Blackberry to iPhone but ultimately switched back.
I'm afraid the sales figures suggest otherwise, ASheffield!

11-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I chose the Galaxy S4 over the HTC One because of the user replaceable battery and memory card slot. Sister-in-law has the HTC One, my brother the Note II, sister the Galaxy S2 and Mom the iPhone 5. All of us are happy with our phones, so make sure the phone has the features that are important to you.

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I chose HTC one over s4 as my first smartphone for the cool camera and more accurate ( to my eyes anyway) colors among other things and have been very happy with it. check it out ;-)
If you're talking about the S4 screen (instead of the camera), that's a quick adjustment if you don't like the heightened color.
11-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #18

Like someone here already mentioned, if you consider about WindowsPhone, make sure you first check if the apps you need is available or not.
On top of that, be aware that unlike Android or Iphone, some models of WindowsPhones do not have the screen orientation lock, which means the screen will always auto rotate for you even if you don't want it to when you rotate your phone sideway or vertical.
Also, on some models, it doesn't not vibrate and ring at the same time when call is received, it goes like vibrate-->ring-->vibrate--->ring....until you pick up. Some people may not like this cause it is comparative easier to miss picking up calls.
And the way it's e-mail application handle attachments or forwarding e-mail attachments is also quite different than in Iphone/Android/Blackberry.

If you can live with all these, those Nokia WindowsPhones do have quite decent cameras.
Go test them out yourself first.
11-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Instagram is coming to the Windows Phones. And RAW files to the higher end Lumias.

11-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.

I think my first choice is android. It seems to be the OS which is the most innovative at the moment with the most phone manufacturers developing phones using it. At least that's the way it appears.

We use Blackberry's at work and they just seem to be a bit outdated. They do tend to be used a lot as company phones and I've heard that's one of the main reasons they're still afloat.

I had a look at a Nexus 5 in a shop yesterday and it looks awesome. Very fast etc. I'm still not sure about the 5 inch screens though as my current Nokia is 1.5in. May take some getting used to.

The HTC one and Galaxy S4 also look awesome and I do like the fact they have IR ports. Hmm will have to have a play around with them. Interestingly enough my friends all have either iphones or windows phones so I don't know anyone who could let me test out an android phone for a bit.
11-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote
Interestingly enough my friends all have either iphones or windows phones so I don't know anyone who could let me test out an android phone for a bit.
Androids are the biggest selling smartphones in the world, so you shouldn't have to go far to find one, Fizzy. :-)

I have a Note 2, BTW.
11-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote
Thanks for all the replies.

I think my first choice is android. It seems to be the OS which is the most innovative at the moment with the most phone manufacturers developing phones using it. At least that's the way it appears.

We use Blackberry's at work and they just seem to be a bit outdated. They do tend to be used a lot as company phones and I've heard that's one of the main reasons they're still afloat.

I had a look at a Nexus 5 in a shop yesterday and it looks awesome. Very fast etc. I'm still not sure about the 5 inch screens though as my current Nokia is 1.5in. May take some getting used to.

The HTC one and Galaxy S4 also look awesome and I do like the fact they have IR ports. Hmm will have to have a play around with them. Interestingly enough my friends all have either iphones or windows phones so I don't know anyone who could let me test out an android phone for a bit.
BTW, in all the "new" android phones, Nexus5 has the best deal (as in price to function/processing power ratio) now if you order it directly from Google Play website.

11-08-2013, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
I'd go with Blackberry, any model. I have owned nothing other than Blackberries and I know multiple people who switched from Blackberry to iPhone but ultimately switched back. I also think they've got a great camera.
I enjoy my Z10. Sure, the app ecosystem isn't as developed but overall it's a good phone.

For me, recommending an iPhone or Android is like recommending a Canon or Nikon DSLR
11-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
For me, recommending an iPhone or Android is like recommending a Canon or Nikon DSLR
Ouch. That hurts. (Comming from a long time iphone owner)
11-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #25

Original Poster
I enjoy my Z10. Sure, the app ecosystem isn't as developed but overall it's a good phone.

Why's that?
11-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

A doomed eco system.

Can't possibly recommend anyone buys into it.

They're having trouble selling their loss-making company let alone their handsets!
11-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Wouldn't you guys agree that BlackBerry is sort of the Pentax of the phone market?

They're both struggling to gain market share, they both have a moderately limited ecosystem, they're both outclassed by the two main competing brands but they both have some features that are highly attractive that the competition doesn't have.
11-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Nope. Pentax makes a superior product, or at the very least a very competitive product. Blackberry is all but dead. No real App Store, and outdated products. They rode the bbm and blackberry os for too long.
11-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I'm guessing you haven't spent much time with BB10 then.
11-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Nope. Can't say I have. Although from what I've read about it. It's a good OS. But it should have been out 3 years ago. Good ios or not, it's too late. Palm had an awesome os also (webOS). But it didn't get them anywhere.