Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Google shop get a nexus you will not regret it , best unlocked price around.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_black_16gb&hl=en_GB

I agree 101%
Recently bought a Nexus5 for my wife. Best cellphone deal ever!!!
Unlocked, no contract, no carrier junk apps.

12-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #47

Original Poster
Cheers for your replies. Nexus 5 does look like a good smartphone but there are two things stopping me getting it. One is the lack of IR blaster and the other is the smaller battery. I don't fancy having to charge it halfway through the day!
12-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote
Cheers for your replies. Nexus 5 does look like a good smartphone but there are two things stopping me getting it. One is the lack of IR blaster and the other is the smaller battery. I don't fancy having to charge it halfway through the day!
Don't know what is a IR blaster but the battery is not an issue mine works hard ,Gps and , blue tooth permanently on,
I use it for mail, texts , social media, tweets ect and get in excess of 1.5 days from a full charge.
12-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Don't know what is a IR blaster but the battery is not an issue mine works hard ,Gps and , blue tooth permanently on,
I use it for mail, texts , social media, tweets ect and get in excess of 1.5 days from a full charge.
That is very good. Much better than the reports I've heard. I have heard that some apps which aren't optimised for the new Android can be a drain on battery usage but 1.5 days is definitely sufficient.

12-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #50
Veteran Member

charging a phone isn't something that can only be down at the end of the day for most people. Do you ever sit in front of a computer during the day? Do you ever drive during the day? Are you ever in one place for more than 30 minutes at time which has an electrical outlet? Even on my heavy usage days, my S4 usually never NEEDS to be charged more than once, but on those rare days that it does, just plug it in and go about your shit until you need to use it again. No big deal at all. Lastly, there are more pocket sized chargers on the market than you can shake a dead mobile phone at. Cheap and charges a phone in minutes...and then there are battery cases, etc, etc, etc.

Jason
12-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #51
Site Supporter

You really should bear in mind that that's not really a phone in your pocket. It's an ultra micro computer. That happens to be able to make a phone call.

My HTC One X has a 1.5ghz quad core processor with 1GB RAM. More computing power than my first 3-4 PCs combined. We put men on the moon with far less. To hold it in the palm of our hands is amazing. That the batteries last as long as they do is a technological feat of modern circuitry.
12-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #52

For communication type or talk - BB10
For camera - Iphone 5s or Note 3
For customization - Nexus 5

In the last year I have had a Note 2 \ HTC 1 \ Z10 \ S4

The Note series line of phones are amazing and you really don't know what you are missing until the Spen is gone. (once you have used it)
At the moment I have the S4 but every time I am either talking on the phone or typing I wish I had a Blackberry.

Next phone for me will be Blackberry Z30

12-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadprez Quote
For communication type or talk - BB10
For camera - Iphone 5s or Note 3
For customization - Nexus 5

In the last year I have had a Note 2 \ HTC 1 \ Z10 \ S4

The Note series line of phones are amazing and you really don't know what you are missing until the Spen is gone. (once you have used it)
At the moment I have the S4 but every time I am either talking on the phone or typing I wish I had a Blackberry.

The S4 with swift-key is a breeze...hard to imagine anything much easier....other than voice control, which i use quite regularly.

Jason
12-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The S4 with swift-key is a breeze...hard to imagine anything much easier....other than voice control, which i use quite regularly.

Jason
I currently have the S4 with Swiftkey and even with the swype turned on it does not compare to the BB10 keyboard experience from my perspective.
I just found the Blackberry predictions were so accurate and the swipe up feature so intuitive.

You really have to use a Z10 or Z30 for a couple days to really appreciate the BB keyboard experience.

Apple or Samsung should have bought BB just for the damn keyboard
12-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #55

Original Poster
Cheers for all your replies.

I decided on a Nexus 5 and have ordered one (black, 32 GB). I wanted a sim-free phone and this was the best option in my budget. I guess it's a trade off and it doesn't have some things I wanted. BGut I wasn't prepared to sacrifice the warranty and/ or pay the extra £150 - 200 for them.

Can anyone with a Nexus 5 recommend a wallet style case (one that has a folding part to cover the screen? Also can anyone recommend a wireless battery/ charger?

Thanks
12-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's 7 weeks later since I last commented in this thread. I kicked it around and around. I walked out of the Verizon store Friday with a new iPhone 5s. My decision was highly influenced by my good experience with my iPad. I just really like iOS. I'm stuck with it for a while now I guess. So far no regrets. The battery life is very good. I spent a full day loading apps, syncing music, and using it pretty hard as we all tend to do with new toys. Still had around 50% life at the end of the day. It's appox the same screen size as my old Droid X2, very slightly narrower but the quality of the screen more than makes up for the difference. My big hands and fingers have had no difficulty using the keyboard, one of the main reasons I considered a larger screen phone.

Bad experiences always influence our future purchases. I suppose if my X2 hadn't been so buggy and crash prone I would looked more at Android phones this time around. I narrowed my choice down to the Nokia 928 and iPhone 5s. I would have liked the Nokia 1028 with that highly rated camera but we're locked into Verizon and it isn't available. If my wife's Note II is still working when her contract is up (18 mos.), she will hold it until all the phones are off contract and we will likely change carriers.
12-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadprez Quote

12-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Samsung Galaxy Victory and would recommend not getting one. The gf and several friends and relatives have the iPhone 5/5s, I would not recommend one of those either unless you want something small. My mother recently got the Nokia 928 and its the best phone I've ever seen. Its a Windows phone which I love, camera is fantastic (yes better than iPhone 5, I don't care what anybody says), and fast. On the bad side, its built like a tank. But on the good side, its built like a tank. Its solid but also very large and heavy although I wouldn't say its too heavy for most people as its not really any bigger than an S4 or similar phone. The only thing stopping me from getting one is that I use Virgin Mobile which doesn't carry any Windows phones .

EDIT: Just noticed you already got a phone. Little late to the party I guess...
12-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My experience is from a South African perspective - owning several Samsungs and iphones with the business environment.

Samsung does not update its OS across all phones say down to S2 - thus an S4 will not be the same as an S3 - whereas all our iphones down to the 3 are all running ios7 - apps get updated timeously as well

Our S4's are still on outdated OS and cannot get 4G/LTE due to this - highly unacceptable in this day and age

I do own an iMac, ipad and all are used extensively for business use along with my iphone 5 - each are updated seamlessly so I can pick up either and just work on whatever platform I was on.

So when talking ecosystem Apple is far far better at the moment from a business experience.
01-01-2014, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
got the same face when I told peeps I was buying a Pentax.
Little do they know .. muuahahhaha