How buying and selling works

You: List an item for sale.

I: Send you an offer.

You: Send me a counter offer.

I: accept your offer.

You: Send me a bill

I: Send you a payment

You: Ship item.

What you don't do is make me a counter offer, which I accept, and then tell me there is someone else interested and you'll let me know if I get the item.

ciao`

Ed

Last edited by Ed in GA; 04-01-2008 at 10:37 AM.
04-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Not Registered

I have many other examples. This particular happens to me 1 every 10 items at least.

Me: post an item for sale
Joe: ask me how the item is useful for its purpose, ask me for pictures of the lens and taken with the lens (to this point all is perfectly normal)
Me: answer the questions and send the pics
Joe: Ok I am interested. How much the total?
Me: Total is X with this shipping and XY with this other shipping and this is my paypal address
(Meanwhile I receive another firm offers)
Me: I am sorry guys the item is sale pending but I will let you know if the payment fails
1 day later
Me: I just wanted to know if you are going to take the item, I just need to know if you will take it cos I have other people interested
At this point 50% of the people answer back telling you they changed their mind....I have no problem with them, at least they reply and they have the right to rethink what they want to do
25% of the people answer telling that they will take the item but that they need some time to get the money (to this day, 100% of them end up paying and I cant be happier with the transaction)
20% of the cases, cric...cric....cric
5% of the cases come out with something weird and make you loose 2 extradays and then cric..cric...cric
Then me: hey guys the person interested in the item never answer back. Do you still wanting the item? (50% no, 50% yes).

Of course there are multiple variations. THe most frequent are the ones that never answer back after asking for the shipping charges (even if you offer them to choose the one they like better)

Knowing that, will you blame the person that takes the money of the first person to pay?

PS. What happened to you it has also happened to me several times and I can understand how frustrating it is
04-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If this occurred on this forum, one should probably notify the cheeses and have them provide the appropriate warning and acceptable use. This gives bidding a whole bad wrap.
04-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Ed in GA

Yep Gruoso,

I have a lens sitting on my desk at home still waiting for "the check is in the mail". It's been two months and the "buyer" hasn't yet asked my why I haven't shipped his lens.

So, yes, it does work both ways.

However, in this situation. The offer, the counter, the acceptance and the "I'll let you know" happened over a period of less than 30 minutes.

"Caveat Emptor" surely applies here.

04-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Yep Gruoso,

I have a lens sitting on my desk at home still waiting for "the check is in the mail". It's been two months and the "buyer" hasn't yet asked my why I haven't shipped his lens.

So, yes, it does work both ways.

However, in this situation. The offer, the counter, the acceptance and the "I'll let you know" happened over a period of less than 30 minutes.

"Caveat Emptor" surely applies here.
Your case is quite ugly and it seems to be unfortunately frequent. Because of these situations we are describing is difficult to be fair sometimes. After one of the episodes above mentioned, I gave a 2-3hours ultimatum to a person that couldnt answer to my PM on time cos had to pick his/her children at school and I sold the item to another person. As you could imagine that person had to be quite pissed with me (with good reasons). Since that moment I still researching what would be the better way to set the conditions for transactions.

I think that some of the problems are derived from the fact that the feedback has to be left for consumed transactions and sometimes people feel like they can waste your time without consequences if they dont buy/sell. It might be a good idea to start leaving bad feedback to these type of cases.
04-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Ed in GA

Well, I guess I could write "Caveat Emptor" in big, bold block letter in a reply on his thread. But, that would be inappropriate.

I'll just share the info with anyone who asks me privately.

Ed
04-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
You: List an item for sale.

I: Send you an offer.

You: Send me a counter offer.

I: accept your offer.

You: Send me a bill

I: Send you a payment

You: Ship item.

What you don't do is make me a counter offer, which I accept, and then tell me there is someone else interested and you'll let me know if I get the item.

ciao`

Ed
under contract law, you are correct

however, are you going bother to suing him for having broken the contract?

04-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
under contract law, you are correct

however, are you going bother to suing him for having broken the contract?
Nope, It's just that you assume that we are dealing amongst ladies and gentlemen here.

And, as I stated, I won't tell anyone 'publicly' who it was as that would not be a Gentlemanly thing to do.
04-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is why I am against long-distance commerce.
04-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've bought several items on this forum and have been very pleased with the transaction. Like on eBay though I try to see how reliable the person might be. Reference to feedback here or on eBay is for better or for worse about the best measure we have. I never buy unless a price is given. Even eBay doesn't sell without at least giving a starting price. Price negotiation really only works well face to face.