Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HELP: opinion needed on Home Theatre Setup soundstaging

I just recently bought a center channel speaker to match my existing 2.1 system and run a 3.1 setup.

basically, my system now composed of Polk speakers and a Harman Kardon A/V receiver.

my Polks composed of T300 bookshelf mains, a PSW303 sub and the newly acquired CS1 Series 2 center. the mains and center have pretty similar specs and are boosted by my 6.1 capable H/K receiver ( running under NEO 6 audio 3 channel surround configuration). my receiver is capable of powering 40 watts per channel.

despite the mains and center being almost equally have similar specs, I find the center to be overwhelming or drown the mains and somehow found certain details are now missing due to the drowning and strong midrange although I haven't fully tested and configured the combo yet extensively since I only got them last night. the center is great especially the midrange. vocals are extremely crisp/clear and powerful which is great if you want to hear vocals dominantly. but it does so at the expense of my main sounding like weak supporting casts or assistants. my question is, would it be ideal for the mains to driven as loud as the center or adjusted slightly below enough to hear the missing details?

11-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
my question is, would it be ideal for the mains to driven as loud as the center or adjusted slightly below enough to hear the missing details?
Despite your speakers having similar specs, if they are not in the same series their sound/tonal characteristics, frequency response will differ. If the center is too overwhelming then yes, you will need to drive it lower than your mains. You may achieve the loudness balance but don't be surprised if you still notice transitions from main-to-center-to main.

Generally, you don’t want the center driven at the same power level as the mains – it will overwhelm them. You want all speakers driven at same “volume” level. I have an older 5.1 setup - HK Receiver, JBL speakers (N-Series Center and Surrounds, N38 mains and 2-PB10 Subs). I have the center set at “Small” and mains at “Large”.

The preferred method to calibrate for equal volume levels is to use a speaker level meter, placed in the middle of the room (or where viewer would normally be) and run the receiver’s test tone, then adjust your volume setup accordingly.

Since I don’t have an SLM, the way I adjusted my system is sit where viewer would normally be, facing the center-speaker head-on then run the test tone and close my eyes. Adjust the speaker volume level until all speakers sound equally loud – the numbers on the receiver's front panel may not necessarily match after everything is said and done.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
my receiver is capable of powering 40 watts per channel.
That's quite decent power considering HK receivers are known for High-Current amplifiers. My HK (AVR120) is also 40 w/channel in surround mode - it's more than enough to drive the N38s.

Cheers.

Last edited by K57XR; 11-07-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
11-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks. I finally was able to blend my speakers harmoniously although I had to reset and do a couple of up and down adjustments to stress the center. I finally leveled my mains the same as the center at equal volume adjustments and seems that the CS1 just needed some break-in period. my mains (not the center) just practically adjusted after a few hours and uses. I have to agree that inorder to get the perfect balance to an HT system, it is advisable to have similar brands. I read the monitor class speakers compensate each other pretty well including newer generations. my wife appreciates the upgrade very much as the vocals are now the crispiest and clearest that she has heard without having to drive the volume that much. also loved the surround effect of the 3.1 system. all 3 speakers + the sub seem to have adjusted themselves to optimal result. movie watching now is much appreciable and enjoyable. clear and detailed without having to go loud and drive the neighbors nuts and don't have to tone it down. this would be nice especially Man of Steel just came out.
11-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a 5.1 and what I do is run the test tones that are provided with the AV receiver and measure the SPL level with an inexpensive radio shack SPL meter. If your AV receiver doesn't have it built in, then you can buy a CD or download them from the Internet.
You might be surprised how much differences in the level of sound that comes out of each speaker....the optimum setting is to have all the speakers have the same SPL at where you want to sit.makes a big difference in imaging if you decide you want to go to 5.1 or higher

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Randy

11-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I have a 5.1 and what I do is run the test tones that are provided with the AV receiver and measure the SPL level with an inexpensive radio shack SPL meter. If your AV receiver doesn't have it built in, then you can buy a CD or download them from the Internet.
You might be surprised how much differences in the level of sound that comes out of each speaker....the optimum setting is to have all the speakers have the same SPL at where you want to sit.makes a big difference in imaging if you decide you want to go to 5.1 or higher

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Randy
thanks. it does make a lot of sense Randy. my receiver does have a test tone. what I did also was adjust the sound delay setting which played really well with the balance.