Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama's shipping

I hate getting a box delivered with the thing that I paid big bucks for rolling around inside because too little packing material was used. This is the second time I've bought something from Adorama, and both shipments were packed the same way. The problem is the "air pillow" type of padding that's use. The individual cushions are so large that getting an exact fit isn't possible, and if one leaks, that opens up a lot of empty space.

Today I got the 50-135mm, and having it roll around in the box tells me they don't care about my business.

11-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have had boxes come from ALL companies poorly padded. It seems that the only photography store I've purchased from ever that overpacks is Freestyle. Their boxes come with so many packing peanuts that a gnat couldn't turn around in the box. In order of best to least packing, I'd rate them as:

Freestyle > KEH > B&H > Adorama > Amazon.

I once purchased a lens from Amazon. It arrived with a yard length of kraft paper, not bundled up or anything, on the bottom with the lens on top bouncing around freely in the box (in it's display box, of course) And that was the last time I purchased a sensitive piece of electronics from Amazon.

I'm sure the manufacturers design their product's boxes expecting for this abuse, but still. It makes you wonder how many AF / quality issues we see (when people shout "bad copy") that are actually from the retailer not packing boxes properly.

When I worked for a wireless retailer, we would receive large boxes with smartphones, chargers, accessories, everything in the box just put in the box with no padding at all.
11-07-2013, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
I hate getting a box delivered with the thing that I paid big bucks for rolling around inside because too little packing material was used. This is the second time I've bought something from Adorama, and both shipments were packed the same way. The problem is the "air pillow" type of padding that's use. The individual cushions are so large that getting an exact fit isn't possible, and if one leaks, that opens up a lot of empty space.

Today I got the 50-135mm, and having it roll around in the box tells me they don't care about my business.
Firstly, please accept my apologies; I absolutely understand why you would be frustrated by this and have already copied your comments over to the shipping manager.

I know this has happened to you on occasions, but it does actually sound like a sporadic issue with the packing team. As a matter of procedure we pack above and beyond the industry standard. Most packaging companies that come in and see our operation are taken back by the amount of pillows we use in one carton. They actually drool to try and get the business because it is not the norm. The industry standard is to put the item in the box to one corner and then fill the void with dunnage whether it be peanuts, pillows, foam, or paper.
Our procedure is to blanket the bottom and the sides of the box and then place the item in the middle and then fold over the pillows and add more to fill the box where needed. The only thing we don’t add any pillows to are items that ship in the vendor box, and soft goods (t-shirts, backpacks, hats, etc).

We thought long and hard about how and why we use the methods we do, for example:

Peanuts are:
• Very expensive in the long run
• They take up a lot of valuable warehouse space to store them (which we don’t have any extra space)
• They are very messy and blow all over the warehouse in the summer
• Not all peanuts dissolve in water that is an additive that costs an additional fee for those type of peanuts
• Most people dispose of them in landfills not water
• You need to fill huge hoppers that hang from the ceiling above packers
• Peanuts have been proven to serve as inadequate protection to what is available nowadays. Items packed in the center of the box surrounded by peanuts can actually shift to the bottom during transit and could take damage to the item.

Pillows:
• The machine is compact and the pillows are on a roll. So everything fits neatly on a packer’s desk
• Each roll is in a box stacked neatly on a pallet which fits into a pallet rack location
• They are proven better shock absorbers

Most manufacturers pack cameras and lenses in shaped polystyrene inside the box. They deliver the boxes to us in shipping cartons packed side by side, without any additional packaging or protective insulation at all, either in between the boxes or on the outside of them. So I guess the major manufacturers feel that the packaging they provide is sufficient to protect the unit inside.

All that being said, I would be grateful if you could please email me: Helen@adorama.com with your order number, and if you could re-create how your unit appeared in the box when you received it and send me a picture, I will certainly discuss with the shipping manager immediately.

Once again my apologies, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by Helen Oster; 04-01-2014 at 04:51 AM.
11-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
I still have the box and packing material and will take a photo of it. I know peanuts shift. I would expect bubble wrap though. Now and then I'll come across extra strong bubble wrap that's rigid enough to stand on it's own. I think I've seen it used for printer toner cartridges. I send out merchandise myself, and would never have something rolling around in a box. I don't trust the pillow wrap; if one leaks or pops, that opens a lot of space.

11-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The only neutral I got on ebay was when I packed a lens in a box with pillows. No damage, at all even. I think they are good, but some people just don't like them.
11-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had no problems with items shipped from Adorama, though I am not fond of pillows.
My last order (under $100), a Pentax camera body from the Used Dept. was very well packed.

I can see the appeal of pillows to shippers - they're just easier.
Unfortunately this also makes them ideal for less careful packers.

Pillows work okay but only when used in sufficient quantity, surrounding item(s) on all sides and tightly packed.
When loosely packed in slippery pillows items inevitably shift, more so than with peanuts in my experience.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-13-2013 at 06:26 PM.
11-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I pack stuff for shipping and use bubble wrap or pillows, I use tape as well to make sure the item cannot move from where it started. So even if a single pillow does pop, it will still be protected just fine.

It makes me angry when I get stuff off of Ebay or elsewhere, and it looks like whoever packed it had no idea what they were doing or just didn't care.

11-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can't comment on Adorama, but I agree with brofkand that Amazon is the worst. I can't tell you how many times I've received product from them with very little interior protection. I've called them, complained, left "packaging feedback" and still nothing's gotten better. I have stopped ordering camera equipment from them, in fact, I ordered from a 3rd party Amazon seller and it came better packaged.
11-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #9

Well, I just received my Bower 8mm from B&H and it was simply the OEM box rattling around inside another box:-\ So I'd say Adorama's is better. Lens it's fine though.

11-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This is all too common. I won't state the vendor for this one, but they have been mentioned a couple times already in this thread.

A $730 lens comprised of glass and delicate electronics - absolutely shameful.

When I was handed this package from my UPS guy, I immediately felt the lens slide to one end of the box:

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
11-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #11

I apologize in advance for the content of this attached picture, but it is one I have handy and illustrates how cameras & lenses come into us directly from the manufacturer.........no external protection of any kind
Attached Images

11-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #12

Original Poster
Here's 3 pics of the packing. There were 7 pillow elements; 2 of them were deflated. It might have been okay if all were intact, but as I got it, two sides had no packing and allowed the lens box to move from side to side. The pillows are not flat when filled; a box can "see-saw" on the top of them. The packing of Pentax box leaves a lot to be desired as well. The inside of the box is not a custom fit; this allows the lens to roll around inside of it. So, there's movement in both boxes.
Attached Images

11-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
Here's 3 pics of the packing. There were 7 pillow elements; 2 of them were deflated. It might have been okay if all were intact, but as I got it, two sides had no packing and allowed the lens box to move from side to side. The pillows are not flat when filled; a box can "see-saw" on the top of them. The packing of Pentax box leaves a lot to be desired as well. The inside of the box is not a custom fit; this allows the lens to roll around inside of it. So, there's movement in both boxes.
As I need to forward the pictures to the shipping manager, can you please email them to me: Helen@adorama.com
11-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Old Newspapers work really well if done right.
However i imagine they increase the weight beyond what some retailers want.
11-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
However, we care about the satisfaction of our customers, and ensuring we do everything possible to protection the condition of items ordered from us.
Hey, Helen,

FWIW, I received my K-3 earlier this week and the packaging was fine. The camera was resting on the box bottom (I admit I grumbled under my breath about that) and one pillow had popped (the end of the shipping box was frighteningly crushed). But pillows are supposed to pop, boxes are supposed to absorb impacts, and the camera arrived in fine shape.