Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CryptoLocker and other Ransomware

Has anybody heard about it? It is a new Trojan type virus, that installs a malware program on your machine that scans and identifies documents, and encrypts them. Only if you pay $200 or so to the criminals will they give you a key up decrypt the files (you hope). To get infected, you need to click on an attachment (often looking like a psd document) in the bogus email they send (disguising as a Fedex or UPS shipping confirmation, etc). In any case, watch carefully what you click on in emails and even websites.

I do wonder if it will also recognize PEF raw files as documents and encrypt them too. I did a quick search and our PEF raw files are not safe....

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by Eric Seavey; 11-10-2013 at 08:09 AM.
11-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Backup your stuff, use a safe (i.e. disposable) environment for accessing stuff you don't trust. Separate important from disposable stuff, and protect your gear that can access the important stuff against use by other people. Also, pay attention to what an attachment actually is before clicking it....

it's the simple stuff!
11-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Indeed, an external backup that is separate from the main computer is the best way to go. I bought a tera station with a raid array few years back to protect my files in case of an disc crash... but that is not going to work against this kind of threat. I am careful about what links/attachments I open, which is the first line of defense... Still imagining losing all my photos would we terrible!
11-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have heard of it, I work on a computer tech help site. For more information you can read about it here:

CryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

11-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
They charge a bit of a premium, but it could be worth it (Disclosure: I used to work for em): spideroak.com. Cryptolocker wouldn't mess you up, because they keep old versions of backups too, so you can just revert to whatever clean backup you had
11-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Indeed, an external backup that is separate from the main computer is the best way to go. I bought a tera station with a raid array few years back to protect my files in case of an disc crash... but that is not going to work against this kind of threat. I am careful about what links/attachments I open, which is the first line of defense... Still imagining losing all my photos would we terrible!
If you back up incrementally, it sure will protect against that. Just make sure your client machine does not have delete privileges on the backup server.