Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you handle your pre-event jitters?

I've got 3 paid events in a three day period in Vancouver this weekend, and I've gotten my first case of jitters in a long time.

So I was wondering if anyone has a way to get rid of them.

Thanks in advance

04-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A good night's sleep in advance. A thorough check of gear before packing it for the shoot. A double-check of gear as it's being packed, with special attention to the lenses, flash(es), light modifiers, and batteries for everything! On site, before walking in, a few moments in the bathroom for the bodily necessities and a final check in the mirror to assure that appearances are professional. Just before going in, a few slow, deep inhalations and exhalations, a couple of stretches to dispel tension, and a little Al Franken mantra: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggone it, people like me!"

Good luck on the shoots, Stu!
04-02-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Stu,
Your a very good photographer. Your work is excellent. I don't know why you would have jitters. If it is the confidence in your self, you know dam well your good. Go into these events with confidence knowing how well you always do your work. No need to worry my friend, All anyone can do is their best. However Your best is always excellent.

Oh yeah make sure you take the camera.
04-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Stu,
Your a very good photographer.
chuckle, chuckle........You will do very well Stu. I like to get places as early as possible so people are not watching my arrival and I can acclimate myself to the event.

04-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
A good night's sleep in advance. A thorough check of gear before packing it for the shoot. A double-check of gear as it's being packed, with special attention to the lenses, flash(es), light modifiers, and batteries for everything! On site, before walking in, a few moments in the bathroom for the bodily necessities and a final check in the mirror to assure that appearances are professional. Just before going in, a few slow, deep inhalations and exhalations, a couple of stretches to dispel tension, and a little Al Franken mantra: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggone it, people like me!"

Good luck on the shoots, Stu!
Thank you Christine

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Stu,
Your a very good photographer. Your work is excellent. I don't know why you would have jitters. If it is the confidence in your self, you know dam well your good. Go into these events with confidence knowing how well you always do your work. No need to worry my friend, All anyone can do is their best. However Your best is always excellent.

Thanks David,

I think that the camera might have something to do with it this time. My second camera is having firmware issues when there's a flash mounted, so I won't have a backup while indoors this time
Although I never had any backup camera last year and never had any problems

QuoteOriginally posted by Nels Quote
chuckle, chuckle........You will do very well Stu. I like to get places as early as possible so people are not watching my arrival and I can acclimate myself to the event.
Thank you Nels,

I'll be car pooling with my clients 2 days, and following someone for the third. Otherwise I'd be scared, since I get lost just thinking of Vancouver

However I'm pretty sure that I'll arrive early to everything.

Plus this is the first time that I'll have help

I know that I'll do fine, and you guys will have some good photos from then in less than a week.
04-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

talk to people

be social

no one likes a creepy photographer
04-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Preparation always helps me...checking and double checking my gear, making sure I've got back-ups for my gear, scouting the location so I have an idea of where to shoot from or so I can identify good backgrounds...that sort of thing. Just have a game plan in place. It doesn't mean you can't deviate from it if you need to, but at least you have something to work from.

04-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

breathe.

just remember, you're going to take great pictures. remember to eat if you're going to be running around all day. batteries and memory cards.
04-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Beer .
04-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Forum Member

I agree with Arpe, though I think for these sorts of jitters you may need something stronger. So maybe some Glenfiddich might come in handy!

Good luck! You'll be great (even if you don't have the whiskey!)
04-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

hehe

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Beer .

I was thinking that i need to resist suggesting a starbucks mocha and a cig.

but seriously

suit and tie and business cards...blues rock on the radio for the trip there. valet that mutha and strut in 15min early to scope the scene......
04-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

Well I have all the batteries charged, with the exception of my phone. Which is on the charger as I type

All the camera gear that I'll possibly use is packed. Only leaving 6 lenses here, 5 of which I haven't used in several months.

I even figured out a way around that firmware problem, so I have 2 fully functioning cameras. Although the one is limited to a remote flash, that'll be fine though.

All my cloths are packed, with the exception of one pair of pants I still have to iron.
That shouldn't take long.

I just pulled 1/2 a bottle of wine from the fridge, although I should have pulled it out hours ago being red

So all thats left after the ironing is grab a hot shower, and head for bed.

I'll be leaving some time tomorrow morning. Vancouver is around a 5 hour drive from here, and I don't know if I'll have time to post anything before my return.

See you all on-line in a few days
04-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Have a good gig and I hope you find your comfort zone.
04-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Damn I'm too late. I'm with Arpe. Beer and plenty of it.

Stu you are very good at this and will do just fine. If you hype yourself up then you make it tougher on yourself. The beer thing is a joke but really makes sense. Just relax and have confidence in the skill you already posses.

I was going through my schedule today and have a few back to back shoots this summer and I do understand how that can add pressure though.
04-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Day ones shoot is finished and a complete success

I have about 40 images processed, and only 120 more to go.

My Sigma SD14 is packed away, and getting sent in for some warranty repair. It's freezing up constantly while shooting with the flash
Sigma did come out with their firmware update last night, which was supposed to correct all the issues caused with their last version. However if anything my cameras worst, so there might be something else wrong.

However my trusty K100D is working like the day I bought it, so it'll get me through the next 2 days.

I'll probably post some photos tomorrow, although today and tomorrow are just working with an all natural body builder so they aren't the nicest thing for men to look at.