Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OMG!!!!!! Return of the 8th Doctor!!!!!!!

I am so, so over the moon just now. I just saw this, grin. Made my day! You can't see this but I'm practically tap dancing around just now I'm so delighted. 8th Doctor, back on screen? I think I've been waiting FOREVER for this.

11-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Banned

I am pretty happy they gave McGann some form of vindication and validation via this.

And I've been calling it, even directly to McGann via Twitter: these people saying they're not part of it, even saying negative things about the BBC and Moffatt, turn out to be in it. So I'm wondering if Barrowman might make a small appearance. Eccleston is a problem, however.
11-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You can't see this but I'm practically tap dancing around just now I'm so delighted.
We could if you made a video and posted it.
11-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting mainly because the actor has the same last name as me

11-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought the script for the movie was weak but I loved McGann as 8 and I always wished for far more of his tenure than the audios he did. As far as I am concerned they could do an 8th Doctor series and I'd be thrilled. I'd watch every episode. It was way too short for me but I was so happy to see his face on ANY screen again I don't care. The audios are great, but seeing him on the screen was awesome!!!
11-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to see you excited. Tho I must confess I have never heard of the show/
11-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
You've never heard of Doctor Who? Dude, what planet have you been living on? Show's been on for 50 years. That's longer than I've been alive, lol. I can see never having seen an episode maybe, but never heard of it? Nah. I think you're pulling mah leg...
11-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Show's been on for 50 years
So who's been the best Doctor then?

11-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
The man who was Doctor when I was born...the master of Venusian Aikido Jon Pertwee.
11-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've never heard of Doctor Who? Dude, what planet have you been living on? Show's been on for 50 years. That's longer than I've been alive, lol. I can see never having seen an episode maybe, but never heard of it? Nah. I think you're pulling mah leg...
Nope.. Never heard of it. I grew up with limited TV allowed. I still watch very little TV
11-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
They all have their pluses and their negatives. (MK says diplomatically....) That being said I'm a 5/10 girl though I like 8 a lot too. 5 was my first Doctor and I've met Davison and well, he's a total sweetie that guy so I still have a real soft spot for him. I love his son in law to death, think Tennant was totally born to play The Doctor. I still watch his series all the time. I'm a total fangurl of 5/10. I actually do the audios for 8 and watch 9 a lot too. I really did want to see a lot more of McGann and that's the only way with him really, the books and audios. I liked the rest, except 6, but watching them once was enough for me. 1-4, 7 I doubt I will ever watch them again but I enjoyed them. I have yet to make it through all of 6. He's the only Doctor I have actively disliked and I just cannot seem to get through his whole tenure. Nothing against Colin Baker, met him too and he's a nice guy, but I just don't care much for his Doctor. 11 is pretty good but I'm not a huge fan of Smith though I've warmed up to him a fair bit since he first started. If I had to choose though it would be 5/10 all the way. Those two they are definitely MY Doctors, though I sort of think of McGann as a favorite now too. He's probably 3rd on my list and I really was thrilled to see him again on screen. That was just a totally wonderful surprise. It really was. I think I've watched it 10 times so far just for kicks. It's been a total joy buzz seeing 8 on screen again. I think that's going to be my go to thing for when I am grumpy for a while at least. Definitely got me out of my blue funk yesterday.

Last edited by magkelly; 11-16-2013 at 07:57 PM.
11-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The man who was Doctor when I was born...the master of Venusian Aikido Jon Pertwee.
+1. Jon Pertwee was the best.
I still don't know how those Daleks were so terrifying , even though they couldn't climb stairs.

Regards
11-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
+1. Jon Pertwee was the best.
I still don't know how those Daleks were so terrifying , even though they couldn't climb stairs.

Regards
Daleks don't need to climb stairs. They can levitate up and/or blast their way through walls. They've come a long way since Pertwee's Doctor's day. They don't scare me one on one. They're easy to kill but in masses, for real, I think I would be afraid. They're like metal encased Nazi's. The Cybermen too. Same thing....
11-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Just saw this thread and now I'm thankful that I did. I was wondering what the mini episode was about; I was a Whovian in the early 80s and did not come back until Eccleston so I missed the whole 90s era.

Looking forward to the new season. I'm in awe of Moffat's storytelling...
11-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I've been watching it since it began showing in Australia in the mid-Sixties. I've even got the first two movies with Peter Cushing as Doctor Who (Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) and Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D (1966).

My kids watched it from the time they were about a year old and could sit on my lap while I watched it. It was always on at 6pm just after I got home from work.

I did miss some when I worked in remote parts of Australia 1969-1971 when there was no TV station (or radio station). The old episodes are on Pay TV so I could work out what I may have missed and sit down to watch them,

My favourite Doctor was Jon Pertwee - until Tom Baker came along. But I liked Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith. I never took to Colin Baker or Silvester mcCoy.

I think I've liked all the female companions.

Last edited by p38arover; 11-30-2013 at 04:13 PM.