Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Buy a house on stumps :P

I agree with your wife, gas is a lot nicer for a hotplate (oven I find it's about 50-50)

As for maintenance, I think it's about the same, my parents' gas hotplate was installed about 20 years ago, and while as mentioned above the clicker things stopped, the rest has worked perfectly in that whole time with no more maintenance than cleaning it.

They only replaced it because the oven door broke, and mum wanted the oven and hotplate to match.

The stove in my place is gas as well, but I have no idea how old it is (rental property)

11-27-2013, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No response from Op. Did his wife do him in for the insurance money?? sounds like the only way to pay for a new kitchen!
sorry bad joke. I like a gas stove too. Fire pretty!!
11-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I am still alive and kicking - at least until my CPAP machine gives out (our sons are talking about starting a betting pool). My wife did joke that she made sure that she paid my life insurance premium - do I need to worry now?

We both grew up with gas, and have had gas in previous houses. This house is built on a slab, the stove in on an island, so it would be impossible to drop it in from the ceiling or through a wall. Actually the oven is on a interior wall, and even bringing gas in overhead would run into the AC ducting. My wife and I have been through this discussion many times - there is just not a good solution other than electric. Our youngest son (a chef at a 5 star resort) pulled out his induction unit for temporary use - as negotiations start in earnest. We had already decided that I would just (for the first time ever) go over to the resort and pick up a turkey / ham dinner in a box and bring it home (our assigned pickup time is 1pm). That was ordered almost 2 weeks ago. This is going to be a large concession - not going to get my favorite "GrandMa's super secret stuffing/dressing" (diced carrots, celery, onion all simmered down with butter, seasoned (bay leaf, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, parsley, etc.), then slightly browned ground sweet Italian sausage from the German deli, combined together with Italian bread chunks, stuffed into the bird with the extra in a baking dish).

So, "she who no longer cooks" - is perhaps thinking / considering an induction top.

The one thing that I have not indicated is that the house (built in 1975, block construction and in excellent shape) is considered a scraper in the town that we reside in. As in - when we sell it, the truck with "the" CAT D7 will stop by one day, drop it off and it will scrape the lot (or at least most of it - perhaps leaving "a wall", so that it would be considered a "renovation"). The new owners will then proceed to build something that is much larger, grander, with much higher ceilings, with a "presence", etc. So, what ever we put into the house will not be considered in its resale value. The value is in the 1 acre corner lot. This has been going on for 20+ years now - and with no let up in sight. As I drive to work, I see it from time to time - lot to lot, munching away, to be followed by the architect sign, then construction crews.

Before moving to Aridzona, we lived on an island up in the Seattle area. The house there also had a Jenn-Air downdraft duel fuel stove and convection oven. I do have to agree that it was one sloooooow stove in terms of boiling a pot of water.

I have not been able to get out and take some time lapse with the Q. That was one thing that I wanted to do, along with getting some additional pictures (using a lens that I have on the marketplace) to send to a gentleman over in Japan. On the bright side, at least I don't have double pneumonia - ah, what would be the odds?

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-28-2013 at 06:22 AM.
11-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #19

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I am still alive and kicking ...
That's good to know. Try and have a good Thanksgiving even if it's not the one you'd really like to have. I suspect the gremlins have done their work and have now moved on. As for your house. I'm in the same position. I know I will be the last person to actually live in my house. The next owner will flatten the place - or at least leave one wall and "renovate" to put a far larger more glorious house on my lovely river lot. There isn't much call for a 1 bedroom 600sq ft home with no basement or developed attic in my town.

11-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
There isn't much call for a 1 bedroom 600sq ft home with no basement or developed attic in my town.
It's extremely rare for a house in Australia to have a basement or an attic,
11-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #21

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
It's extremely rare for a house in Australia to have a basement or an attic,
Where I am in Canada it is extremely rare not to have a basement and it not be developed into useable living space. Not having a basement affects the value of the house considerably even though when they compute the size they don't include the basement in the total size. I have a crawlspace and the odd thing is stored in there but access is from the outside and it's not fun in below zero weather to be crawling around on all fours trying to get in there.
11-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it helps any I am commiserating with you. On Monday they're coming to rip out my disintegrating tub and also to do several soft spots in my floor which pretty much kills any camera budget I might have for the next four years at least. It will cost several K and I will paying the piper for so long I can't even hardly stand to think about it. My decaying 70's house is a total money pit and if it were not for the fact that Dad stubbornly refuses to move from this park and I have to be very close to him I swear I'd torch it if they'd let me and move so fast I'd probably get whiplash. But all the same, hugs, just hugs, because I do get it, really I do. I've had a lot of days like that lately, sigh...

11-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am still alive and kicking
Glad to hear it. Although things might have changed since this morning! i feel your pain, I've had days like that. If I were you, I would go electric. Then sell the sucker and find a house with gas! Here in tornado alley, you have to have basement! (if you want to live) Think Parkersburg or that monster in OK. last year! Plus where do you keep your prepper supplies?
11-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your good wishes and my continued well being. I hope all of you have had a wonderful Thanksgiving - even down under in Oz! We have had a wonderful day here - in the mild 70's clear skies and a light breeze - much better than 120 in July. I drove over for the first time to pick up our Turkey dinner in a box - and it was wonderful. Well beyond expectations.

When I was there picking up the turkey, I said that this was the first time in 30 years of marriage, that we did not cook Thanksgiving dinner - which was good as our glass stove top shattered the other day, as my son was boiling some water for pasta. The lady there looked at me and said - well that son should never cook again! I replied - For your sake let's hope not. She returned a very quizzical look. I followed up with that he is a chef there at the resort. She looked at the name on the order - immediately picked up her phone, hit a couple of numbers and said - "Greg, I understand that you explode stoves in your spare time". He is not home yet, so I think that he will have had an interesting day at work.

We had a basement at the house up in Seattle. It was an interesting experience. We had a leak on the coldest/snowiest day there in years. Drying out downstairs was a challenge! Finding the leak and fixing it was a unique pain in the a$$.

magkelly - I'm commiserating with you - ripping out a bathroom and the financial pain is absolutely tough to go through. Let's just hope that they don't find any more damage.

I was down 20 pounds at the start of the week. I really am not looking forward to getting on the scale any time soon after the dinner - even after the walk around the neighborhood.

11-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
magkelly - I'm commiserating with you - ripping out a bathroom and the financial pain is absolutely tough to go through. Let's just hope that they don't find any more damage.
Well, in all fairness I was going to buy myself a little Christmas present a M43 lens that I thought I'd gotten a sweet deal on used but I think I royally messed that one up and bought the wrong type of lens so I immediately cancelled it. Ah well, I knew I shouldn't have spent the $56 anyhow, sigh. But yeah, it just figures I'd screw it up, today, lol...
11-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I hope all of you have had a wonderful Thanksgiving - even down under in Oz!
There's only one Australian territory that celebrates Thanksgiving and has a public holiday for it - Norfolk Island in the Pacific. I encountered Thanksgiving for the first time when I was transferred to Norfolk Island (for my then job) in 1990. It was a tradition brought by American whalers in the 19th Century.
11-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

There's only one Australian territory that celebrates Thanksgiving and has a public holiday for it - Norfolk Island in the Pacific. I encountered Thanksgiving for the first time when I was transferred to Norfolk Island (for my then job) in 1990. It was a tradition brought by American whalers in the 19th Century.
Ah yes that glorious American holiday of Thanksgiving! Originally intended so that people could stop and count their blessings. Now it's a way to gird yourself with massive amounts of food so you can survive Black Friday!! The icon of overindulgence that will make normal average people get into fist fights over the last Cabbage Patch doll or Tickle me Elmo!!! Thankfully I work!!
11-29-2013, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Black Friday

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Ah yes that glorious American holiday of Thanksgiving! Originally intended so that people could stop and count their blessings. Now it's a way to gird yourself with massive amounts of food so you can survive Black Friday!! The icon of overindulgence that will make normal average people get into fist fights over the last Cabbage Patch doll or Tickle me Elmo!!! Thankfully I work!!
Black Friday .... About 50 years ago I ventured forth to shop on Black Friday. This was long before it had morphed into the true horror it is today. Even as I write maddened hordes are storming the walls of WalMart, in search of a $29.95 42 inch TV or whatever. After that first Black Friday trip I decided that life was too short for that sort of self-torture, and I've never tried it again. I guess I'm just not cut out for small unit tactical shopping.
11-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I've just seen some news footage of US crowds in stores for Black Friday. Ruddy heck! Madness!
11-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I've just seen some news footage of US crowds in stores for Black Friday. Ruddy heck! Madness!
National insanity!! Glad you didn't relocate to the States??