Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

a camera for a (almost) 9y old?

Not sure whether this would be a good present for christmas for an almost 9years old girl.
Anyone done this and are there some fun (special) models on the market?
thks
chr

11-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave my 10 year old a camera on her birthday... She used it for a claymation project in school... she shot like 800 photos and edited them into a movie. I was so proud.

Cant really recommend a camera since I dont know how much money you are talking. But I am going to give my youngest who is 8, my Sony H2 long zoomer. That is the camera her sister learned on too...
11-27-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a 9 years old girl!
how about a pink Q7!?
11-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
how about a pink Q7!?
how about something cheaper? :-)
Would be a nice present, yes, but I don't know how long it would interest her (them...).
there is an optio in pink though, but I'm thinking of something really addressing kids.

ps: sthing i did not mention, but i have two nieces of approx. the same age... :-), so i'd need to buy one each..

11-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
how about something cheaper? :-)
You didn't mention the budget
11-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
You didn't mention the budget
well, hard to tell. But something like the Q is too high, especially since i have to give them both something. One Q for two girls, hm... ;-)
I guess 100-150 each
11-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, i saw on the pentax site what they have for compacts, and i noticed the Efina is quite nice for a girl. pink, red, green, some flowers on it.
But it seems to miss SR. don't know, for a kid?

the Optio S1 on the EU webstore is only 70euros. Thought those were more expensive. Also a green or pink option e.g. + SR

But maybe someone knows an even better option?

11-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I gave my girls second hand digital point and shoot cameras when they were like 5-6 years old, bought for almost nothing, but working. The oldest of them then saved up to a Pentax Optio WG-1 when she was 10. She is the most motivated of them and like both being in the bush and swimming, so it was a good choice for her. That camera was also bought second hand. I've tried to lure them into shooting some film or try some of my DSLRs/SLRs, but they haven't been that motivated yet. So I suppose my advice is, look at the second hand market. Then you can afford them a camera each.
11-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I gave my girls second hand digital point and shoot cameras when they were like 5-6 years old, bought for almost nothing, but working.
Yep... This would be my strategy as well. Something with minimal controls that if it gets broken, you won't mind much.
11-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to recommend one of the Optio WG models. I'm in Florida and we've had several p&s cameras destroyed due to sand and dirt. I purchased a WG for the wife and we no longer worry when the 4 year old disappears with it to take pictures. Plus it takes great photos.
11-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My kids, 7 and 5, have their own digital cameras. They are hand-me-downs from years past and they are probably worth $20-$40 on eBay now. Be aware that kids can be rougher on gear - not because they will be so on purpose but they will be in situations of rough and tumble play more so than we adults (or maybe not ). My 7 year old son has already dropped and rolled his camera down the side of a hill. It survived but it's also a $20 6MP Kodak. He freaked out more than I did. Lesson learned. Yes, they will touch the lens.

I say go cheap and if the hobby/activity sticks then get them an upgrade next year. My kids don't care about megapixel count, IQ, 100% crops, etc. They just want to snap photos and have fun.
11-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think a decent P&S in the $100 or a little less range is a great starter camera and does not break the bank. I'm not sure Pentax has one that fits the bill. Canon does I'm pretty sure.

I still use my A510 on construction projects where I am not willing to take the K30. For snapshots or web quality 3.2 MP is plenty.
11-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would go for a rugged point and shoot for a 9 year old. Pentax has some good ones. A bit pricey but also they last pretty well, and take quite decent pictures. She can take it swimming with her, too.
11-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

For kids that age, I'd go with something cheap(er), but more durable.
I think a camera such as the Nikon Coolpix S31 or Panasonic Lumix TS25 would work well because they don't have a retractable lens and they're waterproof/dustproof/freezeproof to a certain extent.

Links from B&H, but you might be able to find them for similar prices elsewhere, too.
Nikon ---> Nikon COOLPIX S31 Digital Camera (Pink) 26406 B&H Photo Video
Panasonic ---> Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS25 Digital Camera (Blue) DMC-TS25A B&H

This Nikon Coolpix S100 also looks interesting, it may not be as durable as the above two, but it is small, sleek, and looks like a good value.
Nikon CoolPix S100 Digital Camera (Black) 26280 B&H Photo Video
11-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hm, the nikon coolpix S31 seems to be a very good option. they ride horses. that is an environment with a lot of dust...
+ some nice colors. and not expensive at all.

Must say, I like the pentax efina as well. nice colors, mirror upfront to take selfie pictures. But not as strong as the nikon though...

oh, i understand the comments on getting sthing second hand. but this is a present for my nieces. needs to be new & shiny :-)

thks for the suggestions!