Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Hell no! I did a TON of research before choosing my camera. I CHOSE Pentax for the value:dollar that it offers. Hopefully, Ricoh will continue that.
I agree with you completely.

I was thrust into Pentax when I was 14 yrs old, but have stayed with them for numerous reasons most of which are good.

Now having spent the time and effort choosing the brand, when someone criticises me for it, my last resort is to say it was a gift and I'm happy with it. This would be directed at folks who cannot and will not hear or listen to anything other than their own pre-formulated opinions. It's a way of directing their unpleasantness toward some fictional third party while still standing your ground. Remember, "Dumb is smart, and smart is dumb" - it removes competitiveness.

But I refuse to hide the brand with black tape or marker pens - I draw the line at that!

11-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to participate at DPreview a lot. I learned many many things there. But more and more I felt the debates were disrespectful, uninteresting, and seeing as pentaxforums is such a wonderful place to discuss photography, I have stopped visiting that other place altogether.
11-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Incidentally, I was a crossing the street with my K-r around my neck the other day. A tall and hairy guy was going in the opposite direction; for no legitimate reason whatsoever, he pulled a D600 out of his bag and shoved it up me face. That's the kind of people you are dealing with.
Where in the world (literally) do these things happen? I can't even conceive of someone doing such a thing. (I have been complimented on my camera, but never insulted.) And if it did happen, I'd laugh in their face and call them an idiot...
11-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
Site Supporter

People do the same thing about Android vs iPhone. I'm quick to tell the Apple fan boys that I chose my phone because it's the right one for me. I'm a tinkerer. I always have been. I build our PCs. I tweak my phones. I take the road less traveled. I just tend not to join the mainstream.

11-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
People do the same thing about Android vs iPhone. I'm quick to tell the Apple fan boys that I chose my phone because it's the right one for me. I'm a tinkerer. I always have been. I build our PCs. I tweak my phones. I take the road less traveled. I just tend not to join the mainstream.
I understand people that know each other tease about things, but a total stranger just insulting you or getting in your face about a camera? It makes no sense, even if that person believes theirs to be much superior. I'm sure we all see people on the street all the time that are dressed in ways we find tacky, right? But you don't go up to them and say, "Nice clothes, loser!"
11-29-2013, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Incidentally, I was a crossing the street with my K-r around my neck the other day. A tall and hairy guy was going in the opposite direction; for no legitimate reason whatsoever, he pulled a D600 out of his bag and shoved it up me face. That's the kind of people you are dealing with.
You should have said "How are enjoying your dust and oil spots?"
11-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

If that happens the first thing you say is have you got a business card? It's unlikely he has a no pro gives a s***t what camera you use !it the result that counts. Once no card appears you can use any number of put downs,

11-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Why? Just say it was a gift and you're happy with it.
I prefer the gaffer tape over lying, thanks. I'm happy with Pentax, it wasn't a gift though. And I prefer the gaffer tape over apologizing/explaining for my choice of brand like that.

Last edited by Clavius; 11-30-2013 at 02:42 AM.
11-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... Incidentally, I was a crossing the street with my K-r around my neck the other day. A tall and hairy guy was going in the opposite direction; for no legitimate reason whatsoever, he pulled a D600 out of his bag and shoved it up me face. That's the kind of people you are dealing with.
He was just acting out since he didn't have a D800 to carry around.

11-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I prefer the gaffer tape over lying, thanks. I'm happy with Pentax, it wasn't a gift though. And I prefer the gaffer tape over apologizing/explaining for my choice of brand like that.
Read my post #16
11-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

They have Squirrel Haters over there, and here it is "Squirrel Friendly". That's reason enough for me...and Otis! Then add the more abundant content here and the multiple Forums that address almost anything you could possible need to know, and it's easy to see why this is such a great place!

Otis likes a place he can hang out and relax with his friends and not be shot at by radicals toting AK47s.....Me too!

Regards!
11-30-2013, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pentaxians are smart people. They chose a brand for it's merits and not because everybody has one. Ibis made me go for Pentax instead of Nikon. I have not regretted it.
11-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pentaxians are smart people. They chose a brand for it's merits and not because everybody has one. I have not regretted it.
+1 to that.
12-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why would you have to apologize to anyone for selecting Pentax? It's really not their problem or any of their business. I really don't understand taping over the Pentax logo. Do you really think that makes CaNikon users think you have a CaNikon or makes them less likely to act like snobs?

Whats wrong with handing him a business card and inviting him to look at your superior photos?

Mike
12-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Why would you have to apologize to anyone for selecting Pentax? It's really not their problem or any of their business. I really don't understand taping over the Pentax logo. Do you really think that makes CaNikon users think you have a CaNikon or makes them less likely to act like snobs?

Whats wrong with handing him a business card and inviting him to look at your superior photos?

Mike
I was merely reacting to this post:

You're right, we don't have to explain our choice of gear. And taping over the logo over of your camera, whatever brand or type it may be, effectively prevents the above situation. Which I prefer, because any answer given to such an idiot as in the quote here above feels like an explanation or apology to me. In other words: In my case the tape prevents me from having to become rude.

And it serves a secondary purpose: thieves know very well what camera, phone, tablet or laptop is worth taking a risk over and which ones aren't. If they can't determine the brand and type of your electronics, they'll move on to the next target.