Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
News Item for Otis and Rupert

I just saw this story about "Porsche the Squirrel" on one of the other websites I inhabit occasionally. It might be of interest to Rupert and others of Otis Nation.

Jer

'Porsche The Squirrel'. Named For The Car He Was Stuck Under - @FlatSixes - the blog about Porsche

12-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What Otis is up to...

12-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sailor......What a great story, and a fine Porsche owner to tell it. Few would take the time, effort and expense to save a little tiny critter like that. Makes me want to go out and buy a Porsche....which by the way, I almost did the day I broke my foot....but that's another story. Maybe breaking my foot was a way of telling me I don't need a 5th vehicle?

Here is my true story for you......I'll try to keep it short, but you know I have a big mouth!

A few years back, the Spring weather came in early March for a few days and I asked Mrs Rupert if she would like to go down to Fredericksburg for the weekend and shop/relax. My Jeep had just been serviced and detailed the week before, and it was ready to roll. Just past Llano I hit the washers to clear some bugs and got no response. I figured they forgot to fill the reservoir. As we rolled into Fredericksburg, I stopped at the first Valero for gas and to check that fluid. Opened the hood and there was a nest all around the fluid tank, almost two feet across and thick. I started pulling leaves out, and came to four teeny hairless baby squirrels. They had survived a couple hundred miles in there, one was dead, and the other three were squealing. Mrs Rupert came out of the store and was as upset as I was. We immediately tried to figure out what to do...surely no Vets were open, it was a Saturday, and our plans were now cancelled as we planned to get a motel, some milk and an eyedropper to try and feed them and save their little lives.

As I was cleaning up the leaves all around the gas pumps and the Jeep, a woman pulled in for gas, came over and asked what caused the mess? I told her and showed her the little fellows in what was left of the nest. She said she had two at home that fell out of a tree and she was nursing with good success.......would I like her to take these?
Small miracles do happen, even for squirrels!

Best Regards!

BTW- Otis has asked me to print that story you posted so he can read it to the little guys at bedtime on Christmas Eve.
12-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ahhh. Sweet , just shows there is still some decency around

12-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What Otis is up to...
I don't know - but based on what we hear from Rupert, it's clear Otis is a strategic thinker.

Jer
12-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Ahhh. Sweet , just shows there is still some decency around
Which is refreshing, indeed.

Jer
12-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sailor......What a great story, and a fine Porsche owner to tell it. Few would take the time, effort and expense to save a little tiny critter like that. Makes me want to go out and buy a Porsche....which by the way, I almost did the day I broke my foot....but that's another story. Maybe breaking my foot was a way of telling me I don't need a 5th vehicle?

Here is my true story for you......I'll try to keep it short, but you know I have a big mouth!

A few years back, the Spring weather came in early March for a few days and I asked Mrs Rupert if she would like to go down to Fredericksburg for the weekend and shop/relax. My Jeep had just been serviced and detailed the week before, and it was ready to roll. Just past Llano I hit the washers to clear some bugs and got no response. I figured they forgot to fill the reservoir. As we rolled into Fredericksburg, I stopped at the first Valero for gas and to check that fluid. Opened the hood and there was a nest all around the fluid tank, almost two feet across and thick. I started pulling leaves out, and came to four teeny hairless baby squirrels. They had survived a couple hundred miles in there, one was dead, and the other three were squealing. Mrs Rupert came out of the store and was as upset as I was. We immediately tried to figure out what to do...surely no Vets were open, it was a Saturday, and our plans were now cancelled as we planned to get a motel, some milk and an eyedropper to try and feed them and save their little lives.

As I was cleaning up the leaves all around the gas pumps and the Jeep, a woman pulled in for gas, came over and asked what caused the mess? I told her and showed her the little fellows in what was left of the nest. She said she had two at home that fell out of a tree and she was nursing with good success.......would I like her to take these?
Small miracles do happen, even for squirrels!

Best Regards!

BTW- Otis has asked me to print that story you posted so he can read it to the little guys at bedtime on Christmas Eve.
Hey Rupert -

I hope you're healing rapidly and preparing that foot to engage the clutch of an Audi TT - there is simply no use for a left foot more sublime than manipulating a clutch pedal. Also, were you able to dodge the grim, icy weather that hit us with this latest (and most unwelcome) arctic onslaught? We're above freezing down here, but it's still bloody cold - what gives?

Yeah, it's wonderful to see people doing something genuinely kind - especially when it requires a special effort on their part. I enjoyed your story very much.

Finally, you may remember that several weeks back (in the Post Your Photos section), I lamented a rodent infestation of our garage which resulted in about $1400 damage to my little BMW (fortunately covered by my insurance). It turns out all of our cars were affected. Connie's Rogue had a nest (but no damage ), but when I removed the battery cover on my Porsche (simply to study construction details), I discovered the nest pictured below. The critters (rats probably) actually dragged a white terry cloth rag and some unopened Band Aids into the space they annexed for their home - see the first photo below. They also chewed the wires to the car's windshield washers, which turned out to be an easy and relatively inexpensive ($600 - also covered) repair. Although taken earlier this year, the second photo celebrates the return of the car to full functionality!

I trust you, Mrs. Rupert and your family will have a terrific holiday and a Merry Christmas.

Jer

12-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sailor, that is one fine looking machine! I am trying to find some 9 spoke wheels for my TT...so far no luck, they are not easy to find. The foot is healing, maybe in a few weeks I can use that left foot for the reason it's there.....operating a clutch!

So far.....(I'm knocking on wood!) the peppermint oil I have been wiping on my Jeep wires has kept the critters out. You might try it. I also wrap a few Bounce dryer sheets in a few places, a mechanic up north said they work well to keep out critters.

27F here and about an inch or two of fine sleet covering everything. Hard to believe it was 80F on Monday!

Always good to hear from you, I think of you every time I think of the coast.

Otis wanted me to post this for his friend, Sailor. You can see the fine ice on the fence.....and he asked for you to send money so he can buy food for the cold little "orphan squirrels".......although I've never seen any "orphan squirrels" around here, and from the amount of feed I put out, they sure as hell couldn't be starving!

Best Regards to you and your family!
Rupert
12-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sailor, that is one fine looking machine! I am trying to find some 9 spoke wheels for my TT...so far no luck, they are not easy to find. The foot is healing, maybe in a few weeks I can use that left foot for the reason it's there.....operating a clutch!

So far.....(I'm knocking on wood!) the peppermint oil I have been wiping on my Jeep wires has kept the critters out. You might try it. I also wrap a few Bounce dryer sheets in a few places, a mechanic up north said they work well to keep out critters.

27F here and about an inch or two of fine sleet covering everything. Hard to believe it was 80F on Monday!

Always good to hear from you, I think of you every time I think of the coast.

Otis wanted me to post this for his friend, Sailor. You can see the fine ice on the fence.....and he asked for you to send money so he can buy food for the cold little "orphan squirrels".......although I've never seen any "orphan squirrels" around here, and from the amount of feed I put out, they sure as hell couldn't be starving!

Best Regards to you and your family!

Rupert
Wow - that's chilly!

Tell Otis thanks for the great card; I'll show it to his troops camped in our backyard.

Take care, heal up fast and stay off that damned ice!

Jer