Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tv computermonitor dedicated only to showcase my photos

Instead of hanging lots of my photos on the wall I want to get a small tv monitor , maybe 17" diagonal.
Any ideas will be appreciated. I will want to attach and control it from my desktop computer, as a separate monitor, that I might hang on the wall. Independent from my photo monitor..
What size would be recommended to show my photos to best advantage re: resolution considerations. I will want to rotate my images at will, weither as a slide show or just select one image
at a time. I will probably want to wall mount it. I'm not sure where I would plug in the new monitor. The VGA input on my Asus essentio CM series computer is already occupied by my
desktop 21" monitor.would it be possible to attach the "photo" monitor to an hdmi input or usb input. Freddy

12-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why not a digital photo frame?

Something like this...

Aluratek 14" LCD Digital Photo Frame ADMPF114F - Best Buy

They make them up to 19"

Most LCD TVs have a USB port that you can attach a thumb drive to and play a JPEG slideshow.

Insignia 19" Class 1812" Diag. LED 720p 60Hz HDTV NS-19E310A13 - Best Buy
12-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why not a digital photo frame?

Something like this...

Aluratek 14" LCD Digital Photo Frame ADMPF114F - Best Buy

They make them up to 19"

Most LCD TVs have a USB port that you can attach a thumb drive to and play a JPEG slideshow.

Insignia 19" Class 1812" Diag. LED 720p 60Hz HDTV NS-19E310A13 - Best Buy
I would have to be sure that the image quaiity is as good as a fine computer monitor. Any digiital photo frames can't do that. Also, I would rather have this monitor separate from my normal computer and tv. I don't want
to have to shut one off to see the other. . Image quality is paramount for me. My Asus computer monitor is superb but a bit to large for using as a digital frame. I do want a real computer monitor. Boris, I didn't look at the insignia you mentioned. That might be what I need. $99. is no problem. It apprears to be an option. More ideas will be welcome Freddy

Last edited by fevbusch; 12-12-2013 at 09:18 AM.
12-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Boris, I didn't notice the insignia 19" you mentioned that seems like a good possibllity. Any other ideas!. Freddy

12-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The problem with a cheap monitor is they can look very bad when viewed angles other than straight on. The more expensive IPS screens look good from any angle. I think the same rules would apply to a viewing monitor as with an editing monitor. I would go to a store and check out the HDTV and monitor choices and try to look at them from the average viewing distances and angles you will have at you home location.
12-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Cheap monitors might provide no better image quality than a cheap photo frame. It might still be good enough, though, especially if people won't be viewing it from extreme angles in a brightly lit room. Many displays have very glossy glass to boost contrast. This can cause surface reflections depending on the where you display your photos.

Consider your room lighting conditions. If the room is brightly lit you want a display with high brightness, and if the room is dimly lit it's more important for the display to have good blacks.

Many HDTVs and almost all digital photo frame accept JPG slideshows on a USB stick; no need for a connection to your computer. That gives you the flexibility of moving your photo display further from the PC, plus you can turn your PC off and still display photos.
12-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My desktop monitor is connected right now to my VGA attachment. Can I attach the second monitor to my DVI D input on the computer? Freddy . P.s. If I just plugged my 2nd monitor into the wall (without using my pc) could I then attach a fully loaded thumb drive to the 2nd monitor and play my photos directly from that. If so, how would I manage to show as slide or just show individual photos that I can change easily whenever I want to.
Freddy
12-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
If I just plugged my 2nd monitor into the wall (without using my pc) could I then attach a fully loaded thumb drive to the 2nd monitor and play my photos directly from that. If so, how would I manage to show as slide or just show individual photos that I can change easily whenever I want to.
Freddy
Not a computer monitor. Computer monitors don't have anything built in to run a slide show, many LCD TVs do. A monitor is like an old dumb terminal hooked up to a mainframe...

12-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
boris, sorry I'm being so confusing. I meant to say that a second LCD tv would be used as strictly a photo viewer. Could I just plug the new lcd into the wall (not into my pc) and just play slides or still
photos directly from the new lcd tv... Freddy
12-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

... how would I manage to show as slide or just show individual photos that I can change easily whenever I want to ...
With a digital frame, or an HDTV that supports the feature, you just copy your JPG files to the USB stick then plug the stick into the TV. The TV might automatically start the slideshow or present a menu where you can pick single image or slideshow.
12-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, DeadJohn. So this means I don't need a pc at all when I use an hdtv. I just have to probably see to it that the tv has one or two options for plugging in my data. A USB input big enough for a thumb drive will work fine, or I can use a small WD or Seagate external hard drive, right?. Freddy
12-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

or I can use a small WD or Seagate external hard drive, right?
I don't know of any TV`s having a host capability (being able to access a HDD), so most likely no, you can`t.

edit: I should have checked before posting . Our new Samsung in the kitchen can access an external HDD. So, yes you can if the TV supports it, not all do however.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-14-2013 at 03:30 PM.