Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I-pad vs Kindle Fire???

Mrs Rupert wants an I-pad but I want her to get a Kindle Fire...the big screen one. I have no idea what either one does or can do......and really don't care for my personal use, but the specs on the Kindle seem better...and it is $100 cheaper. Price is not a big factor, but if you get more for less, it sounds good to me?

What can you do on these things.....will a Kindle get Yahoo mail? Can you download I-tunes on a Kindle? Do either have slots for an SD card so you can load photos etc?

Anything you can tell me will be appreciated...I am totally ignorant on these pad thingys. Tell me what you do on yours, or what you could do if you wanted, I'd be very interested!

Regards!
Rupert

12-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a kindle fire (basic one) and when I compared it to an ipad mini I swapped for the mini instead.
Things may have changed in the newer versions but in the ones I compared the ipad browser was faster and overall performance of the device just felt snappier and more friendly to use.
Test them both at a store if you can.
I know the ipad has cables that let you connect a card reader or hook up to an external monitor.
I use mine for Internet browsing, reading books and mags, netflix movies, music player.
This post was made in my ipad.
Either tablet can do yahoo mail, iTunes is only on the ipad. The kindle uses its own music player.

Last edited by crewl1; 12-13-2013 at 07:27 PM.
12-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The Apps I use on my iPad include Night Sky (star identification) , an Audobon Bird identification program, A wildflower identification program. Tess came to me and told me what Apps she wanted, and I ended up with an iPod. The iPad, is in the position Windows used to be in. Other people may top their specs, but if you actually want to run something, you better make sure the apps you want to run, and will want to run in the future, are available.

So my advice would be find out what she plans to do with it, and make sure you have something that works for her. I have an Android device in my room, that I got for pretty cheap,that never gets used, I now have an iPad mini, because it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do.
12-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
find out what she plans to do with it, and make sure you have something that works for her.
I agree with this. I think a Kindle Fire could be a fine device but the app selection will probably be worse than iOS. I like current versions of Android for phones (have a Nexus 5) but Amazon's version is a bit different.

Personally I've only had a chance to use an original Kindle Fire and briefly saw a second generation version. My opinion is that the 7" display is a bit too small, and it's a fair bit thicker and heavier than the iPad Mini. The iPad's 7.9" screen and 4:3 ratio is just about perfect and the weight and thickness difference is huge to me. However this comparison doesn't apply to the larger Kindle Fire which I don't know much about. I did own two of the full sized iPads and find the Mini so much more pleasant to use.

I have the Audubon California Birds app and the SD Card adapter to pull photos from my camera and can even process RAWs in the iPhoto app if I really want (though I'd rather wait and put them in Lightroom of course!). There are the same Audubon apps for Android but I don't know how good the experience is compared to their iOS counterparts.

12-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
What can you do on these things.....will a Kindle get Yahoo mail? Can you download I-tunes on a Kindle? Do either have slots for an SD card so you can load photos etc?
Yes, either via the web browser or an app, same as the iPad.

There is an Android iTunes app, but it does not play old iTunes files with the original proprietary DRM. There are also numerous other options for music players. However, I think you have to covert the AAC files to MP4 for use with the Kindle Fire, which would be a problem if you are a frequent music buyer and want to keep them sync'd.

Neither has an SD card slot. The B&N Nook HD and HD+ models do, as do the Samsung Galaxy Tabs. However, you don't need a memory card to load stuff on any of them. It does make it easier and faster, IMO.

If Mrs. Rupert is already invested in the Apple ecosystem, get her the iPad, it's what she is used to and will be up and running quickly. Or if there is something particularly iPad-centric on her wish list, or if she is likely to really want the help of a local Apple store. Otherwise, consider a vanilla Android tablet unless you are already deep into the Amazon ecosystem or want to be. The Kindle Fire is a good tablet, but like the iPad it's designed first as a portal for one company's service$; and in the case of the Fire HD it's an extra $15 to remove the Amazon ads on the lock screen. But certainly you can do many other things, including running the Amazon app on the iPad, and the Amazon tablets also have online support.

I have a Nook HD+ rooted and reconfigured to run Cyanogen Mod, which is pretty much stock Android with no fluff. 8.9" is a nice for web browsing and games and is about the page size of a hard cover book. I liked it when it was stock with B&N, especially after they added the Google Play store, but I prefer my gear not phoning home to a store all the time. I have an iPad for work, both original and the 2nd one. I prefer Android by a lot, but I really have nothing bad to say about the iPad other than the service lock-in.
12-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should learn Mrs. Rupert's requirements and get her the right tool.
My sister has the lastest & greatest Kindle. It works well for her because she is a member of the church of Amazon. Though Kindles have a fair number of third-party apps that provide lots of functions and features, the underlying purpose of a Kindle seems to me is to serve as the front end to the whole Amazon catalog. The device has a good build quality, but is not up to the iPad standard. If Mrs. Rupert is an Amazon freak, then she will love a Kindle.

OTOH, iPads are like BMWs or Vespas--they are what other makers aspire to in look and feel and that certain level of quality one just feels. We have three in our home, two new airs & an older but still current 2. They are great for consuming info including ebooks, but also excel in photo display. My teen son has a Bluetooth Keyboard on his and does homework. My wife, a physician, attends and participates in CME webcast seminars. I use a stylus and take notes and create work sketches in a note taking app. I also use the camera to scan documents or even better use my credit union app to scan and deposit checks.

I can remotely log into and control my home computer from work or vica-versa-- doesn't matter if Mac or Windows. And so on.

M
12-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

We have both in the house. I have a gen 4 Retina iPad and my wife has a Kindle Fire HD. Both are somewhat locked down tablets. The Kindle with Amazon Apps and the iPad with the Apple app store and iTunes. I prefer the iPad myself. The screen is stunning and is an awesome display medium to show off your photos. You can also view your RAW shots on the iPad. I'm not sure with the Kindle. You can also use the iPad as a Kindle reader and stream Amazon Prime video but can't use the Kindle to use iTunes although you probably wouldn't want to anyhow. The iPad is much more versatile at this time due to the enormous selection of available apps but the Kindle HD is no slouch. I use my iPad for traveling rather than a laptop now. I have a 64GB model and it has room for hundreds of RAW photos and some downloaded videos for entertainment when there is no connection or wi-fi. If Mrs. Rupert only wants to check email, do some online shopping, read, and stream some video then the Kindle will be fine. If you want to "borrow" it to load and view photos then spend the extra $$$$ and go for the iPad.

12-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I GREATLY appreciate your responses. I would go with a Galaxy if I was in the market for such a device, it might suit my needs best...but for Mrs Rupert, you guys have convinced me she needs the I-Pad, latest, largest version, over the Kindle Fire.

I could have saved us all a lot of time if I had just listened to Otis....he told me, "Just get the I-Pad like she wants and be done with it!"
Damn squirrel, he is always right! Not much chance I will ever outsmart him.

Best Regards! ......and Merry Christmas from the "Woods of Otis"

12-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Another vote for the iPad, you'd now need to break my wifes fingers to get it out of her hands after owning it for more than a couple of weeks...

This after the phrase on presentation of said iPad, "what exactly am I to do with that".
12-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
This after the phrase on presentation of said iPad, "what exactly am I to do with that".
I know what my first instinct is on how to answer questions like that, but fortunately my instinct for self preservation always kicks in just a bit faster.
12-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I know what my first instinct is on how to answer questions like that, but fortunately my instinct for self preservation always kicks in just a bit faster.
At your age Jim, you had best hope you don't lose that edge for fast thinking that overrides your initial impulse. Otherwise, your feat of being the oldest member on PF will come to an end.

Regards!
12-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otherwise, your feat of being the oldest member on PF will come to an end.
As long as you're around, I'm not even close to being in contention.
12-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I agree with Otis on this one. The new iPad Air is pretty awesome.
12-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As long as you're around, I'm not even close to being in contention.
That was not a nice thing to say to a guy all laid up with a broken foot, looks like you are already slipping in that fast thinking. You may get by me with it but when your wife catches you at it, I may indeed become the oldest member here!

Regards!

Reef- You know, Otis almost always gets it right. I'd love to stick him in a jacket pocket and take him to Vegas...or the racetrack! Somehow, I get a feeling I would surely regret it.......I know how Otis is, and I'd probably lose my butt!
12-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
I would second (or third) the votes for the iPad. I too got an iPad Air and my wife asked the same question "why would I want that over a laptop?" She just went on a trip this weekend and begged me to let her take it with her...also, I've found the battery life on Apple devices to be far superior to Android-based ones...they have smarter built in app management which doesn't drain the batteries when sitting idle...finally the graphics/touch interface is just smoother, it hardly ever slows down no matter what you're doing on it...