Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Today, I avoided embarrassment with my new camera

Last week I took advantage of a sale that Pentax was doing thru their online store to purchase a new K30. It arrived yesterday. Very nice. Charged the battery last night. Tried it out for the first time today. For the life of me, I could not get it in focus in the viewfinder. This is important to me as I only use manual focus lenses. Live view was fine. I thought my eyes were going. I tried different lenses.....same result. I concluded that there was something wrong with this new camera. Packed it all up and was going to send it back to Pentax tomorrow. As I was eating lunch, the word "diopter" popped into my head. Could it be with all my fussing that it was something so simple as the diopter adjustment? No, couldn't be. I'm not that dumb. After all, this is my fifth Pentax dslr, so I should know what I'm doing. Well, turns out I am that dumb. I unpacked the camera again and took a look. Darned if that little slide lever wasn't pushed all the way to the right. A quick adjustment made to suit me and all is fine now. I can't help but think how stupid I would have felt had I sent it back for my own stupidity.

Larry

Last edited by larryinlc; 12-15-2013 at 07:36 PM.
12-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #2

Welcome to the club and, no, it won't be the last time! Enjoy your K 30.
12-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is always nice to hear that I am not the only one to do goofy things. My son's father in-law has a shirt he wears that I think fits me well. It says
" Warning I do dumb things" It is always good to be able to laugh at ourselves. Believe me I get lots of practice
12-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So worried about the big stuff we miss the little (simple/obvious) stuff. Have fun with the new camera.

12-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

I did the same with the K3 also realised OH the diopter all solved
12-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I had a similar experience just after I got my K5II camera. I was in the local game reserve, and just could not switch the camera on, even though the battery was fully charged. I thought I had a dud camera, until I noticed that the SD Card cover was not closed properly!
12-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would like say that I've never done anything like that ............................... but I can't lie.

12-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The average genius does 7 dumb things every day, those of us who are less than geniuses are a lot worse.
12-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh boy... you are not the only one that went trough similar things.
I always forget about that darn slider... is even worse when after you set it up, you slightly move it by mistake and then you bash your heads to the wall trying to figure out what happen since yesterday when everything was in focus!?
12-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Often items are returned due to user error, or buyer simply changed their mind.

I always look for bargains on such items.
The majority of open-box, "refurbished" and B-stock items had no defect,
and often have been subject to better QC inspection than new items.

Chris
12-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Been there, done that! Felt like an idiot! A couple of years ago I was all excited to have four lovely models all at the same time, ready to shoot. I was shooting MF and could not get a clear focus to save my life...tried and tried.
"Girls, my camera is on the blink, maybe we can try another day?" ....like I might get that lucky another day?

Just as I was about to pack my gear it popped into my tiny brain....diopter! Had a great time and a fun shoot all afternoon!

Regards!
12-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
I can't help but think how stupid I would have felt
Aye and you would have got away with it, until you posted this thread.