Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Help !!! Readers needed

I am writing a guide , for macro with a kit lens

Download > Download PDF ( link amended to new host ) Jan.8.2014

Its my first draft , so criticism needed !

Please tell me what's wrong with it so far , what I missed , and maybe what you would like ...
Im probably to close , to see the forest for the trees ..

Last edited by old4570; 01-07-2014 at 04:13 PM.
12-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll download it and have a look. If the text is like your post, then the first thing you need to fix is - do NOT put a space before a comma, exclamation mark, full stop (period), etc.

Edit: unable to download it. I get this message:

Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
Chrome is unable to verify that the URL for this site is correct.
You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain.
Back to safety
12-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's difficult for me to properly proof read on a screen (I'm a print it out and circle bits kind of guy)

But from my reading I can give the following points: (some may be more personal preference than right/wrong)

Equipment - maybe rephrase the paragraph about having tried heaps of macro gear for what's best, the how to seems to be more about cost effective macro than "best" macro (although, many of the images in there are brilliant)

DOF - I've always known it as Depth of Field, not depth of focus. Pretty sure most books refer to field as well. Best to stick to one terminology rather than confuse a reader if they go on to other books/guides after yours.

The section explaining aperture is a little awkward, perhaps include a visual representation of an aperture and how it opens and closes. A few diagrams can do a lot more than words here.
Also, remember apertures are listed on lenses as "1:2" a ratio, rather than F2. Perhaps likening apertures to a fraction will make it easier to illustrate that F22 means small, F2 means big. (The wikipedia page on Aperture is rather useful here)

Referring to "increase/decrease" aperture. I found this really confusing, I had to actually stop and think what you meant. Use "open/close" instead, much easier to understand (ie: no potential confusion between increase number, or increase light)
Open/close will also tie it in better with the section explaining how the aperture works.

On page 12 look at the "what it does not lose much flash power" is that meant to be "while it does not lose much flash power"?

Overall a good start, and shaping up to be a good introduction to macro piece.
Just have a look at the wording on some points, and the usual spelling/grammar check.

also, once you've got a complete draft, get someone to read it that's not into photography.
If they can understand it, you've done it well. If you need to have a decent photography knowledge to understand it, then you probably know all the info anyway.
12-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you , thats me , I think outside the box ( correct terminology ) and the punctuation = Yep , need to correct it ... But I like a lot of room ( even when I write )
I will redo ASAP ...

12-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Revision 2 Revision 2 ... ( link amended to new host ) Jan.8.2014

Last edited by old4570; 01-07-2014 at 04:13 PM.
12-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chrome still won't let me download the file. I'll try Safari.
12-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Chrome still won't let me download the file. I'll try Safari.
Interesting , I run chrome and have downloaded it 3 times , with both Win8.1 and Win7 .. Do you have antivirus or firewall that might block it ?
Could be chrome settings ?

01-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Download Macro guide.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Wow that file share site spat the dummy , here is a new link to a different site ...