Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Computer question: Dell laptop adapters

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I asked this question on a computer help forum and didn't get any useful answers. I think there are a lot more people here, and I'm sure some of you are pretty tech-savvy. So I hope it's ok to try asking here... "Someone" must know the answer!

I'm looking for the adapter & power cord for a Dell Latitude D-610. The model # is PA-1900-02D, & the Dell part # is 9T215. I was looking around on eBay to see what was available, & am confused by the ton of adapters, all of which are claimed to fit the D610, but have different numbers & wattages. For example mine is 90W, output 4.62A... but I see some 65W ones supposedly also compatible. What's the difference? Some have different amperages too.
Then, this one clearly says "PA-10 family" but I see some PA-9 & PA-12s which also list the D610 as compatible. Again, what's the difference?
How much does that "DP/N" number matter?

I see a couple that have all the other numbers the same, except where the wattage is on mine, there is Chinese -- and no wattage that I can see marked.

The laptop user's guide suggests that both 90 and 65W adapters can be used; different output current... what difference does it make to the operation of the laptop, if I switched from a 90W to 65?

Some advice would be much appreciated -- thank you!

Last edited by Alliecat; 01-04-2014 at 01:04 AM.
01-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
65W ones supposedly also compatible
Dell's website doesn't say, but it probably depends if you have the optional discrete ATI Radeon X300 graphics card installed. Without a separate graphics card, the 65 watt power supply should be sufficient. However, if the original adapter was 90 watts, there may have been a reason for including it instead of the 65 watt model. The output current is determined by Ohm's law, and since the voltage has to be the same (because the laptop's built in power supply only works with a specific DC voltage), if you divide watts by volts you get the output amperage. A compatible adapter has to have the same end as Dell's, the same voltage and enough amperage to produce either 65 or 90 watts, depending on how your laptop is configured.

There is no danger from an adapter that produces more than the minimum wattage, as long as the voltage is constant. Your odds of getting a better adapter improve with higher output, but it's not a guarantee.
How much does that "DP/N" number matter?
That's typically a way to indicate what Dell part number the adapter is equivalent to without having to prove it. Think of it as a cross-reference number.
there is Chinese
Dell's adapters are made in China, it's not a big deal either way.

Quality does matter, and I would recommend a 90 watt adapter over a 65 watt one. If two adapters have the same output, the heavier one is probably better quality.
01-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Since most laptop builders aren't going to give you a power supply that is more than your system requires, you should replace your adapter with the same specs as the original. For what it's worth, the older Dell monitors could tell if an aftermarket power adapter was hooked up and would shut down and refuse to operate, only displaying a warning message. Since laptops and monitors use the same adapters in many cases, you might run into this problem. I own one of these and I have used it with several laptops and monitors but the Dell monitor I hooked it to wouldn't work. 12V~24V Universal Notebook & LCD Monitor AC Power Adapter
01-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The problem with Dell Laptops single prong adapter system isn't so much the power adapters going out but the DC plug jack on the motherboard wears out and doesn't make good contact. A good indication of that is if you are having to wiggle the adapter or hold it in it charges but stops when you let go of it. I had that problem with 5 Dell laptops until I quit buying them. So if that is what is happening I would have that checked out before spending money on an adapter. If you are inclined and good at soldering than you can purchase the jack and install it yourself or find a computer repair guy to replace it for you. If you contact and send to dell they will usually only replace the motherboard.

01-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The problem with Dell Laptops single prong adapter system isn't so much the power adapters going out but the DC plug jack on the motherboard wears out and doesn't make good contact. A good indication of that is if you are having to wiggle the adapter or hold it in it charges but stops when you let go of it.
OK, If I hold the plug snugly into the jack so it can't move, I can still make the power cut in & out if I wiggle the wire. I did wonder if the plug was loose but since it's movement of the wire, even with the plug held securely, that causes the thing to switch to battery power, I assume it's the wire.
It is an old adapter and has already had the other end doctored; same issue with wire position. There's a wee kink in the jack end which I wonder if it's part of the problem.
That's a good tip; thanks for the suggestion, but would you agree this sounds like the adapter wire?
(Does your comment about the jack mean I need to be careful moving it around when it's plugged in; does the jack wear out from something internal or can you loosen it by shifting the plugged-in laptop around?)
01-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I hold the plug snugly into the jack so it can't move, I can still make the power cut in & out if I wiggle the wire
Your assumption is probably correct, it seems likely that there are broken wires inside the plastic covering. The only permanent fix is to replace the AC adapter.
I need to be careful moving it around when it's plugged in; does the jack wear out from something internal
Every time the cord is taut, it puts strain on the jack. I agree with Oldbayrunner, Dell has long gone with components that are just good enough to last through the warranty period.
01-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Since it's an old adapter I would first get one that is made for your laptop, If that doesn't work or starts the same symptoms in a short period of time then the jack on the motherboard needs to be replaced. These laptops with this type of plugs are famous for this problem. When you replace your laptop make sure it doesn't have that plug system and you will be a lot happier.

Check this one out;
New Dell Latitude LED Plug Adapter PA 3E 90 Watt Genuine Charger DP N 0J62H3 | eBay

01-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've been working on Dell computers for the past 10 years or so, so this should clear any questions about power adapters up.

Dell has used the same exact plug on their adapters for the past 6-7 years at least. It doesn't matter what the style of the adapter is, just the wattage and the plug.

The 65w SHOULD work fine for the D610, but to be safe, I would get a 90w. You can go higher if you want without it hurting the laptop.

If you get the 65w one, and the laptop needs a 90w it will work, but it will not charge the battery when the laptop is on and it will not operate at full speed with the adapter plugged in.

Do not get one of the fake Chinese ones as they are not as good of quality, and I would not trust them to not hurt the laptop if they burn out or get a surge from the wall. If the listing does not specifically say it is a genuine Dell adapter, do not get it. If the sticker on the power adapter says "for Dell", do not get it as it is a knock off..
01-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help, guys.
The local computer fixit guy only had aftermarket ones, which he said he'd had "good results" with, but they were more expensive than the genuine Dell ones on eBay. I went to eBay.
Isn't it great how there are so many people on here with such a lot of knowledge that you can generally count on getting questions answered, even if they are a bit OT!
01-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In the future, ask everyone you know. It seems as though every corporation uses Dell laptops and as stated above, Dell has used the same plug for many, many years.

At the corporation I work for, we just got new Dells, think 15000 laptops, all with new chargers that are spec'd the same as old ones. The old ones were all sent away... Somewhere to be stored or recycled or thrown out. When I use to do contract work, there was always piles of Dell chargers in IT rooms, offices, closets, everywhere. I have got 2 like new chargers by just asking. I find I get about three to four years before the internals are cooked on them (leaving them plugged in all the time).
01-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Having handled various Dell laptops for work since the Latitude C-series days, I guess I can answer this more confidently.

The Latitude C-, D, and E-series laptops came with either standard or high-capacity battery packs, which one could select during build out at the time of ordering. The high-capacity battery packs had a higher charging power requirement, so selecting that battery automatically selected the 90W AC adapter. One could alternatively select the 90W with the standard battery for faster charging times. The plugs and battery packs changed between the different generations, with the C-series having the most consistency and interchangeability. You only need to ensure that the adapter works with the general model family and provides sufficient power for your battery type.
01-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys, I still need some help.

In spite of matching model and part numbers, voltage and amperage, and various assurances that that should be enough and that any Dell adapter should work as long as these numbers matched... my laptop does not recognize the new adapter.
Starting up, I get a warning that the "adapter type cannot be determined" and inviting me to run the "setup utility" -- which doesn't let me set anything up. If I ignore the warning, I can get it running. It says my battery is at 100%, even though it is not.
If I start up on battery, it is shown depleted at a value I'd expect. If I then plug in the adapter, I get another warning from QuickSet that the power type cannot be determined. The battery does not charge, even when the computer is off.

Here are some of the error messages and a scan of the new adapter vs. mine, 'old', with the only difference indicated.
IMGP4360 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP4361 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP4359 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
adapters002 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the computer to recognize this adapter?
01-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the computer to recognize this adapter?
I'm not a Dell repairman, but I suspect your battery is going. When it doesn't charge as fast as it should, your laptop assumes there is a problem with the AC adapter.
01-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I'm not a Dell repairman, but I suspect your battery is going. When it doesn't charge as fast as it should, your laptop assumes there is a problem with the AC adapter.
But, it charges just fine on the old adapter. Which has never caused any problems or generated any error messages. The only reason I need a new one is the wire on the old one is wearing out.
It doesn't charge at ALL on the new one. As soon as I plug the old one back in, the charge light comes on and away we go.
01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if there's a way to get the computer to recognize this adapter
If someone else knows the official answer, feel free to step in, but when the plug is inserted a circuit is closed, so the laptop knows an adapter is plugged in. The laptop's BIOS could be programmed to check the voltage before the battery, so if the new adapter isn't supplying the correct voltage (say zero) then you could get an error message. Check the cord to the adapter, maybe it isn't inserted completely to the power transformer (aka the "brick") or it isn't making a complete connection at the wall receptacle. There is nothing you can do in the operating system to get the laptop to recognize the new adapter, they don't supply a plug and play ID, and if the old adapter can still be plugged in without generating an error message, then the power management drivers are okay.

If you can't get the new adapter to do anything by trying to make better connections, then send it back. The one change in the printing on the new adapter compared to the old one doesn't mean the new one is a fake or incompatible. I'm positive both of them were built by the same manufacturer in China to Dell's spec's.