Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Bluetooth radio?

'm looking for a bluetooth radio. I've found many with bluetooth that can access my pc, but I would like to have one that would allow me to use bluetooth headphones through the radio. I don't want to to hook my phones up wired. Is there such a radio or mini hifi? Maybe a stand alone receiver that can access streaming audio but also can allow bluetooth devices paired to the receiver? Is there such a thing? I can't seem to find anything that will do what I want it to do.

Larry

01-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most phones have an FM radio app that can be run but they use the headphone cable for the antenna. There are lots of wireless headphones. They use a transmitter you plug into the speaker port. They can be used on just about anything.
Sennheiser Silver RS 120 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Supra-aural Wireless RF Hi-fi Headphone - Newegg.com
01-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Most phones have an FM radio app
Which works by streaming audio from the Internet, not from a built in antenna and receiver. That shouldn't be a major obstacle if you have a large data plan. Streaming audio to your phone should work better than streaming video, because it doesn't need as much bandwidth, and you can "tune" into FM stations from all over the world. Your bluetooth headphones won't care what the source is, so if you are listening at home, you use your PC and save your phone's data quota for other times.
01-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My old Droid X2 phone actually had a tuner. It wasn't a stream. I used it to listen to baseball games which our local ESPN radio station was not allowed to stream. I could listen at home where I have no cell service. Maybe not all phones have this.

01-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have Motorola BT headphones that I use with my iPhone. They work really well.

Here is a link for a ear bud + FM radio set up:

http://www.amazon.com/Ericsson-Hi-Fi-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B003DQ1DCM
01-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't tried one yet, but the Sony wireless device linked to by lammie200 gets my vote for smartest electronic device. I think I'll get one for my son so he can wear his Dr. Dre headphones while he's driving or studying (hopefully not both at the same time) and be hands free.
01-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I may have found a solution. The real reason I was considering a Bluetooth radio option is so I could have audio control over my Bluetooth headphones. As it stands now, any Bluetooth phones will work, but I can't change the sound settings such as bass and treble. I would like to utilize the Realtek audio program within my computer and have graphic equalizer control. This option only works with hard wired speakers or headphones plugged directly into the 3.5mm jack. I have found that Sennheiser makes some wireless headphones using Kleer technology which is an uncompressed audio format. The great thing about this is the transmitter plugs directly into the 3.5mm headphone jack, so in theory, this should allow me to use Realteks' graphic equalizer.

I like to fiddle. I like to adjust the sound to my own liking.

Today I ordered a pair of Sennheiser RS 160 headphones with Kleer technology from B&H for 130.00.

Larry