Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Now that I can understand Price $X which includes all applicable fees - as a consumer I would much rather see something listed for $x which is all inclusive (less shipping of course) then price $x plus 4.7% PP fees + shipping. Or I would like to see

Price $x includes pp fees can deduct 4.7% is paying by x , y or Z give the illisuion of a discount.

I think some people see fees as the sellers issue if listed separately and are less likely to complain if it is included - just my thoughts perhaps , but that is how I feel.
i agree, i'd rather have prices broken down into different components
item + shipping + (extra paypal fees for CC)

this way the buyer and seller can agree that the last 2 items should not be negotiable and therefore bargain based upon the price of the item

04-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I generally try forums and craigslist before I try ebay anymore. The fees have gone too far IMHO.
04-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm glad I found this thread, because I find myself in a bit of a quandry. I am strictly a buyer on ebay thus far (for over 7 years) and once in a while I might pay with a personal check or get a postal money order to pay for an item. However the vast majority of my purchases are with my credit card.

Now, my credit card is not tied to a bank account, therefore I am "unverified." Currently, my sending limit is $10,000. I am $576.76 below that limit with PayPal, even though I am $3500 UNDER the actual credit card limit. I do not want to get verified by by my bank account (only has $84.00 lol) or sign up for a PayPal credit card. I don't need any more credit cards.

A few years ago, when I got close to then $5000 PayPal sending limit, they kept up with the "unverified" message, but when I got really close to that $5000 limit, they just upped my sending limit to $10000.

Can someone please help with my confusion?? Is what Ed IN GA has posted at the beginning of this thread going to change my imminent quandry?? I understand sellers have fees to deal with. I understand that and don't mind having that included in a price I am willing to pay for an item.

Last edited by Janimo; 04-23-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: adding info
04-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
LDB
Forum Member

It's supposed to be forbidden to charge an upcharge for using paypal. I think that only applies on the 3rd full moon of the month though as I see it all the time. I hate that and don't buy from upchargers. I'd much rather have the price quoted all inclusive and if the seller is really stand up and gives me back the cc fee portion that wasn't charged that's great. If not, I guess the seller makes a little extra.

04-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #20
Inactive Account

It's been PayPal-only for a while on Ebay.com.au. They started with computer software purchases, and then moved on to everything as PayPal only.

There was a video, with some smug Pom* in "business-casual" get up telling us that it's for our own protection, you're covered for whatever up to $30,000, and people who use PayPal had less complaints than those who didn't.

What they neglected to mention is that PayPal is owned by eBay. So, more fees for eBay. Convenient.

You see, I never had a problem with direct bank deposit. For one - and I know this sounds crazy, but try to bear with me - I don't even own a credit card. I know, I know, it's shocking, but, somehow, spending money I don't have never seemed like a good thing to me. My parents managed to avoid having one for 40 years, let's see how long I'll hold out.

It's mostly because I used eBay as a bargain hunt, not as a buy-anything-I-can one-stop shop. If it was over about a hundred bucks, I didn't bother. So if they screwed me - and it never happened to me - I wouldn't be out much.

You see, the funny thing with direct deposit - you get the other guy's bank account details! So if you do get screwed, you've got a good way to track him down.

And I've found that the average seller is trustworthy, because unlike some multinational corporation, he's going to jail if he screws up. Even if it is for fifty bucks. I don't trust Sanjit who works for eBay Customer Records or whatever, because there's a good chance he'll get sick of being paid seventy cents an hour and flog my details to the Mumbai Mafia.

I did sign up for PayPal. They do make mention that you can get a bank account to use as a PayPal account, but as soon as you go to "Update Account" you simply get a form telling you to input your credit card details.

*Sorry to all the English present, but that's kinda ingrained in me, as an Aussie.
04-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious--if I win an auction on Fleabay and use Paypal funded by a credit card and the seller doesn't deliver, then all I have to do is to dispute the charge with my cc company? I don't have to fool with eBay and Paypal?

I won a lens last Saturday (almost a week ago). The seller told me that the lens would ship within 3 days, but as of yet, I have not gotten any indication that it has shipped. I have sent him a message tonight via Fleabay asking him when the lens might ship. How much longer should I wait before putting in a dispute with my cc company?

Thanks!
Heather
04-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm curious--if I win an auction on Fleabay and use Paypal funded by a credit card and the seller doesn't deliver, then all I have to do is to dispute the charge with my cc company? I don't have to fool with eBay and Paypal?

I won a lens last Saturday (almost a week ago). The seller told me that the lens would ship within 3 days, but as of yet, I have not gotten any indication that it has shipped. I have sent him a message tonight via Fleabay asking him when the lens might ship. How much longer should I wait before putting in a dispute with my cc company?

Thanks!
Heather
Since it's only been a week, it's far too early to even consider filing a complaint or dispute. The lens may have shipped already and the seller just didn't notify you. The seller may have paid for shipping the old-fashioned way (at the post office), in which case, you don't get an automated email notification.

Keep in mind that you won the lens on Saturday, so the seller probably didn't ship until Monday at the earliest. USPS First Class can take about a week while USPS Priority takes 2-3 days. I've found that UPS Ground takes a full 5 business days to get from the east coast to the west coast. I don't know how your seller shipped the lens, but a week for shipping time isn't far fetched. I always ship via USPS Priority because it's amazingly fast. If I ship on Monday morning, it usually arrives on Wednesday anywhere in the CONUS.

Bad on the seller for not keeping you updated though. It's inexcusable for him/her to not send a quick email.

If you still haven't received it by the middle of next week, I would email the seller again to see what's up. After two weeks, you should talk about a possible refund. Did you buy insurance? Can they provide proof that they actually shipped it?

If they aren't willing to work with you at all, I would start the dispute process after that. I believe eBay allows you to file a dispute after 10 days though, but I would give the seller a chance to make it right before filing an official dispute.

04-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Well paypal charges higher fees for CC use. It sucks as a seller to have to eat another 3%. Also in my experience paypal doesn't put up any fight if your transaction is contested via CC as a seller. You can have all the documentation in the world and they'll just roll over and let a buyer scam you.
By the same token they let the seller scam you too! It happened too me.
04-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

It was one of those deals where the seller is in one location and the lens is supposed to ship from another location (the seller has an Ispeedway business). I was told that the lens should ship in 3 business days, which would've made it this past Wednesday or Thursday. It's suppposed to ship via UPS ground from Arizona to Florida, so yes, I would expect it to take a better part of a week to get to me once it ships. I still haven't heard back from the seller concerning the message he sent me yesterday, but since it is the weekend I'll give him until Monday to get back with me. If I haven't gotten anywhere with all of this by the end of next week, then I'll definitely follow up with Fleabay in the way of a dispute and refund.

With the way things are going, I'm really glad that I put it all on the CC. One thing that I want the seller to understand is that I'm not going to put up with any cr@p on his part and I will take action if he doesn't deliver--dispute with Fleabay, negative feedback, and a dispute with my CC.

Heather
04-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
You see, I never had a problem with direct bank deposit. For one - and I know this sounds crazy, but try to bear with me - I don't even own a credit card. I know, I know, it's shocking, but, somehow, spending money I don't have never seemed like a good thing to me. My parents managed to avoid having one for 40 years, let's see how long I'll hold out.
There's such a thing as a "debit card". I have a Credit Union of Australia Visa Debit Card. I use it purely to purchase online, for Eftpos transactions & cash withdrawals, and for paying bills. I've never spent more than in in my account, so I'm not sure what would happen if I overdrew. I believe I'd be charged a overdrawn fee ($55?) and promptly have to repay the overdraft.

I don't pay any yearly Visa fees. It's all part of a CUA account (no fees on that either).

I don't know if a Visa Debit Card affords the same consumer protection as a Visa Credit Card. Can someone answer this?
04-27-2008, 01:53 AM   #26
Inactive Account

...yeah, and the per transaction fee on a Visa debit is six bucks.

So if I'm buying a half-brick's work fo Tri-X for $30, I pay $36. Plus shipping and ebay fees.
04-27-2008, 02:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
It's suppposed to ship via UPS ground from Arizona to Florida, so yes, I would expect it to take a better part of a week to get to me once it ships.
Has he supplied you with the tracking information? The ONLY reason I would ever use UPS would be for their tracking info.

Pat
04-27-2008, 03:38 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Lithos, I buy a lot using Visa Debit through Paypal. Let's see how much extra it costs me:

First off: 2 Australian Purchases:
1. A purchase from Visa Debit via Paypal 11 Jun 2007 -$1,398.90 AUD for a DV camera comprising:

$1,368.90 AUD for Camera + Postage & Packing via Registered (includes any seller packing fees): $30.00 AUD

And here's what my Credit Union statement showed: 12 June 2007 $1398.90. No extra from here.

2. Now I've $200 credit in a Paypal account & have been using it to pay for goods on Ebay to other user's Paypal accounts.

Today, I bought a lens for AU $43.50 + AU $5.00 for postage.

Here's what came out of my Paypal account:

$43.50 AUD + Postage & Packing via Regular (includes any seller packing fees): $5.00 AUD

Total: $48.50 AUD

Now a transaction via my PayPal to a US Paypal account:

3. Ebay Subtotal: US $51.00 + Postage and handling: US $13.00
Total: US $64.00

From my paypal account:
From amount: -$70.41 AUD
To amount: $64.00 USD
Paypal Exchange Rate: 1 Australian Dollar = 0.909060 US Dollars
XE.com - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site Exchange Rate: 0.93279
Difference: 2.373 cents in the dollar.

So paying from Visa Debit via Paypal or my Paypal to another Paypal on an AUS tranaction is costing me nothing. (It costs the seller a bit in fees, but that's not my concern.)

Paying from either my AUS Paypal to US Paypal or by Visa Debit via Paypal (example not shown) costs me around 2.4 cents in the dollar for the electronic currency transfer.
04-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Has he supplied you with the tracking information? The ONLY reason I would ever use UPS would be for their tracking info.

Pat
Not yet, but he's supposed to.

H
04-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Heh.

...DIFFERENT WAYS YOU CAN STEAL THIS LAPTOP OFF ME:

PAYPAL: Paypal is currently ebays preferred method of stealing high value electrical items off sellers. There are a number of various ways you can use to steal this laptop using paypal...