Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaipa Quote
Hi Jack, I am the one who bought converter. My initial bid followed not because you raised the starting price, it was just a coinsidence.

Agree with your other observations.
Hi Jack, I am the one who bought converter. My initial bid followed not because you raised the starting price, it was just a coinsidence.

Hi Kaipa--I am glad another PF'er got the lens. Open the package carefully (no knives)--there is a little bonus in the package, maybe two. Mailed yesterday--my post ofice receipt says expected delivery "01/15/15". Enjoy.

01-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Agree on that, I usually don't bother bidding on reserve items. Not worth my time to mess around trying to see if the seller is nuts or actually knows the price.

While good advice, I often place an early bid just to hold my place so to speak, but only a low bid. The real action is as you say, in the last few seconds.

Had that on my watch list but just figured it would be out of my price range, which it was. Glad you got your price and I hope it went to a good home.
Awaiting payment. I hope it goes to a good home too.
Just finished packing and boxing it. It was HEAVY all by itself. With the trunk, box and packing it is HEAVY!!!
I fear it is going to cost far more than the $99 listed to ship it.

Last edited by pntxjack; 01-14-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: add one sentence
01-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

So How many of you are bidding on that Pentax SMC-A 135mm f2.8 on Goodwill.com? Good luck if you are.
01-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
So How many of you are bidding on that Pentax SMC-A 135mm f2.8 on Goodwill.com? Good luck if you are.
I'm done with shopgoodwill. Two of the last 4 lenses I bought there have issues and the deals aren't there anymore.

01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I usually troll for poorly written ads ending in the next few minutes.
01-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I usually troll for poorly written ads ending in the next few minutes.
That's how I got my genuine Pentax Adapter K for $20. It was listed as Ashai instead of Asahi...
01-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

My local goodwill warehouse lets me come inspect the stuff they have there (plus if I buy then no shipping charge), so that gives me a leg up if something is worth bidding on. But yeah, have pretty much given up on non-local stuff. I don't understand the prices -- often higher than ebay for stuff of unknown quality. Makes no sense...

01-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
My local goodwill warehouse lets me come inspect the stuff they have there (plus if I buy then no shipping charge), so that gives me a leg up if something is worth bidding on. But yeah, have pretty much given up on non-local stuff. I don't understand the prices -- often higher than ebay for stuff of unknown quality. Makes no sense...
My local goodwill has the most insane prices on the site. Reserve prices on everything with a BiN at or over eBay prices. I don,t think they sell very much because I see things re-listed multiple times.

Plus, the Rochester stores are an hour and a half drive one way, and the Syracuse store is in a part of town I would go to without a machine gun. (The donation center though is only a few miles from where I live )

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-14-2014 at 12:41 PM.
01-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm done with shopgoodwill. Two of the last 4 lenses I bought there have issues and the deals aren't there anymore.
Yep that I do agree with you on, people are getting crazy with the bids.
01-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Yep that I do agree with you on, people are getting crazy with the bids.
You mentioned the A135/2.8.

A couple of years ago I got a Super Program with an A28/2.8, A50/1.7, A135/2.8 and AF200T flash for $168. Try getting that now...
01-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

As a buyer/seller on eBay for over 16 years I still lament the early years.
It was a lot of work, since very few of us posted pictures, or even knew how to.

Long, involved descriptions were the standard.
Your email address was your ID.
Contact was personal, between buyer and seller only.
Payments came via postal carrier, checks had to clear,

But, you could leave negative feedback for a non-paying buyer.
Winning bidder ID's were not hidden. (this change opened the door to shill bidding)
Fees were low.
You could even buy firearms!

I have over 1,500 all positive feedbacks, but seldom buy or sell there anymore.
When I do sell these days, I start the price at the least amount I'll take, and I've never used a reserve.
01-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

As a buyer, sniping is great. As a seller, I'd prefer to use an auction site that only allow auctions to close after the time limit has been exceeded and no bidding has occurred for something like 15 minutes. eBay just has the market nailed down pretty well on online auctions.
01-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Try getting that now...
Which one?
01-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

What really turns me off as a buyer on eBay is people who sell expensive stuff (especially photography gear), but have TERRIBLE photos and descriptions of the item (descriptions that just say "very good condition, no returns, ask questions".) UGH.

Good photos, good description (actually showing that you know something about the item, its condition, and how to use it) are always a plus- to the buyers and sellers.
01-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
+1 for Gixen. I only use it a few times a year as I don't buy a whole lot on ebay, but the service is great. I like it enough that I pay the paltry $6 a year to help the guy out.
I believe it was you who introduced me to Gixen in another thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
What really turns me off as a buyer on eBay is people who sell expensive stuff (especially photography gear), but have TERRIBLE photos and descriptions of the item (descriptions that just say "very good condition, no returns, ask questions".) UGH.
That turns me off even in the marketplace here. You're supposed to be a photographer. Why are you listing crappy cell-phone pics of your items? I'm not asking for the full multiple light tent treatment, but a little effort goes a long way.