Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have found certan people on flickr those that aren't in any of my challenges, and a name I don't recognize as a friend or acquaintance, that come in and favorite my photos, I immediately block them from doing so. You can block them from following you, and adding your photos as favorites.
That's like joining Pentaxforums and then placing everybody that you don't know and quotes you on your ignore list. The point of Flickr is sharing your pictures, right?

01-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, it's not the same thing. The ones I block on flickr are the ones making an account only to favorite other photographers work. They leave no comment, therefore they are not allowed to steal my copyrighted work.
01-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Favoriting isn't stealing.
01-28-2014, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

No, it's not the same thing. The ones I block on flickr are the ones making an account only to favorite other photographers work. They leave no comment, therefore they are not allowed to steal my copyrighted work.
How does favoriting a picture constitute stealing? And if it did, then why would stealing suddenly be OK if they added a comment?

What gets me on Flickr is the spam emails requesting me to join their groups. I get way to freaking many of those. Even inviting me to completely unrelated groups; making me wonder if they even actually looked at my stream before sending the invitation.

01-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Don't know if this has anything to do with it...but Otis has been complaining that his 2T hard drive is filling up fast.......he's also been bragging that he has tens of thousands of shots, all better than any of mine.

Regards!
Who is the "rat" now....I'll tell Otis he'll have to tighten his security, and perhaps leave a reminder, like some chewed on wires in certain vehicles......
01-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ok, i concede. "Stealing" was a bad word choice for what they are doing.
01-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't really care if people favorite my photos on flickr. If anything it makes you feel a little better (hoping that folks appreciate your images, you know). I don't understand the flickr explored thing. Seems like odd photos are chosen for it. In the last few days, these photos were chosen:

I think they are OK photos, but certainly not some of the better ones I have taken. And it wasn't like they had more than a couple of favorites prior to being explored. Oh well, not a big deal either way...

01-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That's like joining Pentaxforums and then placing everybody that you don't know and quotes you on your ignore list. The point of Flickr is sharing your pictures, right?
Sometimes I get the feeling that Flickr has similarities to that FaceBookTwitterMySpaceHashTag stuff. You know, where there are all those zillions of friend requests and such, from tens of thousands of people you don't even know.

Or at least that is what I perceive, as I don't do the FaceBookTwitterMySpaceHashTag thing.

Internet forums are more than I can handle sometimes.
01-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Sometimes I get the feeling that Flickr has similarities to that FaceBookTwitterMySpaceHashTag stuff. You know, where there are all those zillions of friend requests and such, from tens of thousands of people you don't even know.

Or at least that is what I perceive, as I don't do the FaceBookTwitterMySpaceHashTag thing.

Internet forums are more than I can handle sometimes.
You are correct that Flickr attracts some of the "my self-worth is measured by my online friend count" crowd. That's okay and it doesn't interfere with my primary use of Flickr: posting specific photos so I can access them when I'm not at my desktop PC.
01-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Ok, i concede. "Stealing" was a bad word choice for what they are doing.
I really don't see what's wrong with "favoriting". I routinely favorite the photos of complete strangers whose work I've come across and enjoyed. I find these photos mostly through Flickr groups, or sometimes because they've posted some of their work here, or rarely by searching for interesting photos by keyword. Adding a photo to one's favorites is simply a way to show appreciation for other's work and also to develop one's own sense of aesthetics. I also often go back a look at my favorites to see how the photos I like could indicate to me new possible directions in which to take my own practice...
01-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think they are OK photos, but certainly not some of the better ones I have taken.
That snowy road is gorgeous...if it isn't one of your "better ones" you can give it to me, it would be one of my best!

I still think Otis is behind the Flickr piracy...I don't know what his angle is, but it sounds like something he would do. Maybe he is opening up a Stock Photo Site to sell the photos of others? After all...how could you prosecute a damn squirrel?

My only snowy road photo...taken in front of my home a few years back......I was proud of it....until I saw yours!

The Woods of Otis......it used to be lovely in the snow, until Otis started burning rubber tires out there for heat, now everything is black and covered with a layer of thick oily film.

Regards!
02-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really care if people favorite my photos on flickr. If anything it makes you feel a little better (hoping that folks appreciate your images, you know). I don't understand the flickr explored thing. Seems like odd photos are chosen for it. In the last few days, these photos were chosen:

I think they are OK photos, but certainly not some of the better ones I have taken. And it wasn't like they had more than a couple of favorites prior to being explored. Oh well, not a big deal either way...
they're nice shots, but i get what you are saying. i've been a member for a long time and not had a single explored shot. That being said, i've often had a thousand or so combined views a day. The criteria for explore has never seemed very clear.

In terms of the OPs point, with all of the changes going on right now (many of which are ridiculous in my view), the problem could be related to the beta version issues.
02-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I think some people use 'cut and paste' programs to leave comments as well, there's a guy who comments on every picture I put on Ipernity, and the comments seem to go in a regular cycle, he's even commented "Very nice composition" on a picture that is just a detail crop from another picture.
Maybe its some obsessive compulsive thing ?
02-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
they're nice shots, but i get what you are saying. i've been a member for a long time and not had a single explored shot. That being said, i've often had a thousand or so combined views a day. The criteria for explore has never seemed very clear.

In terms of the OPs point, with all of the changes going on right now (many of which are ridiculous in my view), the problem could be related to the beta version issues.
I read a little more about the Flickr Explore and it seems like it is related quite a bit to views versus favorites. A lot of people seem to "game" the system, but trying to like other's photos and cultivate a group of friends who will like their photos. I haven't specifically done that, but it certainly explains in my mind why a really good photo might be passed over, while some not so great photos may make it in.
02-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #30
Pentaxian

...while some not so great photos may make it in.
"Not so great" is an understatement.