Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 04:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gears and places suggestion @ Paris Feb/Mar

Hi,

I would have some days in Paris in late Feb/early Mar. I was told it's cold, and of course there are lot of cool places.

I'd like to hear your suggestions. E.g, any good/popular places to take picture. I have a Tamron 18-200mm and a 43mm but I am not sure that're suitable.

Please helps. Any advice is highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by icy; 01-20-2014 at 04:14 AM. Reason: fix typo
01-20-2014, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
I would have some days in Paris in late Feb/early Mar. I was told it's cold, and of course there are lot of cool places.
I live there and the second part of Feb is usually the coldest moment (but sunny), and March is usually third rainy, third cloudy, third sunny.
Temp can varie between 0-15 °celsius in Feb, and 8-20 °c in march.

Take a pair of gloves, and a scarf. absolutely needed. Wind can blow between building and you can somehow freeze just by passing by a street, sometimes.

Weather is cold, but the light is great : the sun is not near the horizon, but not to high. The golden hour is a bit longer then.

I'd like to hear your suggestions. E.g, any good/popular places to take picture. I have a Tamron 18-200mm and a 43mm but I am not sure that're suitable.
Popular place / touristique place : Eiffel tower and Trocadero, museum "Le Louvre", etc ... (to be honest, guide book are usually well made about this).

Things to see to get why Paris is beautiful : the 8th "arrondissement" - district (arround the "Champs Elysée), the "Marais" around 3 and 4th district (historical and oldest part of Paris), the "Butte Montmartre" (Montmartre "hill", beautiful view of Paris and roof. must see ealry in the morning, a warm coffee , the central borders of the river in the middle of Paris - La Seine, and around "Saint Michel" 5th district, many old book shop.

I can go like that for hour in fact. Just take a good pair of sports shoes and walk all day long !

Of course, if you like living the night, there is many things to do too !

About gear

the 18-200 is good and will be mounted most of the time on your body. The 43 will have more use during the evening i think.

If you can borrow a Samyang/rokinon/etc ... 14mm for architecture shot (if you like it) can be great, but you can live without it i think. It's just a advantage if you like wide shot about ambiance, or achitecture.

Otherwise there is no need for other lenses IMO.

Last edited by aurele; 01-20-2014 at 05:26 AM.
01-20-2014, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
18-200 and FA43 is very good already, just remember to take a tripod if you plan on doing a bit of night shoot. Paris is very photogenic, you can take good photos at almost every corner.

I went there during the summer a couple years ago with my K-5 DA15, DA18-250, FA43 and Tamron 17-50 f2.8, I used DA18-250 most of time time when I roam the city during the day, when night falls I switch to the Tammy or 43, when I get into a building I make sure I have my DA15 handy, about the only thing I think you would want to have for the trip is a good ultra wide angle lens as you may find 18mm is not wide enough for interior shots...
02-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #4
icy

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi again,

I am still here, but I am going to Paris very soon. Do you know any good place to buy some accessory there? I am thinking of buying a cactus v5 flash trigger. It is impossible to find that thing in Vietnam.

Thanks a lot.!

02-20-2014, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi again,

I am still here, but I am going to Paris very soon. Do you know any good place to buy some accessory there? I am thinking of buying a cactus v5 flash trigger. It is impossible to find that thing in Vietnam.

Thanks a lot.!
Without doing any kind of research, my answer is "no". Maybe you could have a look at the Beaumarchais boulevard https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=Boulevard+Beaumarchais,+Paris&hl=fr&sll=48.840...is,+Paris&z=16

it's the boulevard of photography shops in Paris for maybe 50 years, so i guess you can find it there, but i can't guaranty anything.