Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think HP have made Win 7, instead of Win 8, an option now. Perhaps a few others have too.
I recall insisting on an XP Pro build instead of WinVista once.

03-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #17

Windows 8 is not really that bad. The first thing to after a fresh install of windows 8, is install a start menu like Start8 and it will boot to the desktop and work like Win 7. If people you didn't know you installed Win8 you would think it was Windows 7 running. The windows key on the keyboard will flip you back and forth between the desktop and the Windows 8 tiles, best of both worlds really.
03-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
In order to use some newer software, I converted my laptop to Win 7 Pro. The "Pro" is important. With Pro, I can run XP SP3 in a virtual machine. My old laptop is short on memory so things are slow, but I can still run all my old programmes and use my HP 1000 laser jet from the XP window. Who would have thought that a laserjet printer would go obsolete? It did.
I need to find out how to do that. I have a 12 year old Compaq laptop that cost me $2500 and I'm damned if I'm gunna throw it out just because it can't run Win7. I need it to run just one program that won't run on my Win7 Pro desktop.

If I can get a virtual XP running on the desktop, I'll move the laptop to household energy usage and generation monitoring duties to replace an even older laptop running Win2000. (It runs Win 2000 in 192kB memory).

Last edited by p38arover; 03-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.
03-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Rupert ,
switching to 7 is a breeze , unfortunately it too will probably soon be considered obsolete. Windows 8 pretty much blows and I don't mean that in the good way. Your guess is as good as mine about 9

03-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My post about Win 7 versions - I goofed. It's Home Premium, not Home Ultimate. Ultimate is the top of the line version, and includes XP. I added XP to Win 7 Pro. No charge but do it yourself rather than already built in.

Thanks photolady!
03-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm still running XP on a couple of my PCs with no worries. Just keep your virus protection up to date and be relatively careful what you do online & you should be fine. When you do upgrade, Win 7 is great. Stable, familiar, and fast. Windows 8 is glitchy, quirky, and has a lot of weird features that make using it irksome. Avoid it like the plague.

Or, as ChrisPlatt mentioned, Linux is another option. It's free, MUCH more secure than WIndows, and pretty intuitive. I like Ubuntu or Lubuntu, but there are a lot of flavors of it out there for download. Ubuntu & Lubuntu are very Windows-like, and don't require a supercomputer to run it. Plus, a lot of Windows programs will run under Linux using a free download of "WINE".
03-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I need to find out how to do that. I have a 12 year old Compaq laptop that cost me $2500 and I'm damned if I'm gunna throw it out just because it can't run Win7. I need it to run just one program that won't run on my Win7 Pro desktop.

If I can get a virtual XP running on the desktop, I'll move the laptop to household energy usage and generation monitoring duties to replace an even older laptop running Win2000. (It runs Win 2000 in 192kB memory).
If you Google Virtual Machine you can find out where to get the XP SP3 add on for Win 7 Pro. If your desktop is running Win 7 Pro you can upgrade with few problems. I only have 3 Gb on the motherboard, and that is maxed out, so things run a bit slowly.

03-09-2014, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you were to think about upgrading your XP machine to Win 7, make sure you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor from MS. It will tell you if your PC can run Win 7.
03-09-2014, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
My husband's theory is that every other Windows release is a stable, retail release.
He's not alone with that theory, and my experience confirms it, although I doubt it's a conspiracy to get more money out of the suckers who run companies these days, more like the choice between conspiracy and stuff-up, amplified by geeks being bullied by an technologically-ignorant CEO into releasing something to suit a marketing timeline developed in isolation from reality.

QuoteOriginally posted by DJB77 Quote
Windows 8 is not really that bad.
How bad does it have to be? Some people had no issues with Vista, either, but it seems like it was a lottery as to who did and who didn't, and Win8 is shaping up to be much the same. Whether the lottery is determined by hardware or star sign is anyone's guess, but the overall experience with Win8 seems to be one a developer wouldn't want on their CV.

To the OP, I'd suggest watching what government agencies do with OS versions, especially ones keen to maintain security, and go with what they choose. They may be slow to adapt, but they're keener than ever to resist moving just for the sake of being up with the latest, your government's universal healthcare scheme notwithstanding, of course (nice idea, lousy software implementation).
03-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I think as upgrade options go, you won't find Win 7 that much different, Rupert, if you go that way. ...I have trouble adapting to changes in things like that sometimes, but really didn't have those kinds of issues with my sweetie's Windows 7 computer.

Think I'll just be having to take my chances, doubt this old machine can handle 7, but that's probably the way I'd go.
03-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Just checking in to this thread to say you guys have alleviated some of my major concerns and given me some fresh alternatives and ideas.
I really appreciate it, that's why this place is the best, with the best members. You can usually get good answers here from people willing to help, you can't say that about some internet forums.

Best Regards!
03-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #27
Pentaxian

You can always buy a new box, learn the OS, and them migrate all your programs over to it at your leisure.
Some thing to keep in mind, the older your box gets, the greater the chance for Hard Drive failure. I'm sure you have backups of everything but you need to get a backup program and create an Image of your hard drive. That way when it fails you'll have a complete copy of everything that can be put on the new Drive.
03-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The common theory about Windows versions here is that the odd numbered versions are stable and the even numbered ones are to be avoided. That matches a comment above about every other version. It also matches user observations. "The upgrade from Windows Millenium is Windows 98". "Vista is buggy" and so on. I have few problems with Win 7 Pro.

Hard drives are inexpensive, and so are off line USB drive boxes. I am now running a 7200 rpm 1 Gb drive in my 12 year old ThinkPad T60. I have several off line boxes to keep all the documents and full system backups in. The ThinkPad also allows swapping out the optical drive for a hard drive caddy which certainly improves the convenience. When out and about, I can put a drive in the caddy and use it for photo backups, for example.
03-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #29
NKK
Inactive Account

I'm really happy with Windows 8.1 - it works fine for me on both touch and "normal" laptop.
The onedrive integration works good too.
In the update that comes here in march/april there should be even more changes that makes it easer for people preferring the "old" way of doing things:
Screenshot Tour: What’s New in Windows 8.1 Update 1

everyone is different, but when you are looking at upgrading, I would suggest at least to give the newest version a try
03-10-2014, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

I have an XP netbook which I have no intention of scrapping. I use it as a media streamer only these days since we don't have cable and I will continue to use it for that purpose.

Rupert, probably the easiest thing for you to do is backup your computers and data to the external HD and when you get a new computer, just plug it in. That's what I did a couple of years ago when I got the new Win 7 tower. You can then easily copy all your photos to the HD in a new computer or just leave them on the external and access them when you want. My old computer is still functional and it still serves as a redundant backup.