Map:

Map Centered at 38°N, 88°W

List of Quakes on above map:

Earthquake List for Map Centered at 38°N, 88°W

Fun stuff for us Midwesterners!

04-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm...they just mentioned this on the radio and supposedly it was "feelable" up here (Sheboygan). The station is trying to get someone to call in who felt it
04-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Hmm...they just mentioned this on the radio and supposedly it was "feelable" up here (Sheboygan). The station is trying to get someone to call in who felt it
Here in southern Indiana, I didn't feel it (but I was in the basement), but I sure heard it. Like a train passing out side. Upstairs they said the windows and furniture were rattling pretty good.
04-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live about 20 miles west of St. Louis Mo. And it woke me up. Felt like someone was shaking my bed, I was more confused than scared. Was a really strange feeling !!!

04-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i didnt feel it, i live in st.louis

my mom came over this evening and said it was shaking her whole house....
04-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awake for the Quake

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I live about 20 miles west of St. Louis Mo. And it woke me up. Felt like someone was shaking my bed, I was more confused than scared. Was a really strange feeling !!!
I had an early appointment this morning, so I was awake 4:35-ish when the quake happened. I was in my office in the basement.

First each floor joist above me creaked in succession as if the entire ground shifted the house to the left slightly by the foundation and the upper floors moved to "catch up." Then the same creaking happened back to me in the opposite direction. This whole thing took less than 5 seconds.

I thought, "Oh no. There's some large mammal running across the ceiling tiles!"

Then my desk chair started shaking noticeably and that continued for another 10 seconds, so I realized it was an earthquake, and the shakes continued very slightly for another 30 seconds.

I am very relieved there isn't a raccoon in my ceiling.
04-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I can literally sleep through anything, and on the 2nd floor, I definitely didn't feel anything. Only thing that would wake me up is Judgment Day

There were a couple people up here who had their windows rattle...no damage like nearer to the epicenter.

04-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Live about 100 miles south of St. Louis. Didn't feel a thing. Once rolled off the couch and never woke up.
thanks
barondla
04-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #9

Reminding me of the really big Hawaii earthquake a few years ago... a straight 30 seconds of hard rattling, followed by another 10 secs a few minutes later. Big aftershocks for a few days following.

I know a few people was saw the ground... ripple.
04-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #10
Inactive Account

WOW.
You guys have all the fun. I haven't felt a quake since I ran California years back. The first one I felt was really scary. About 15 years ago here in PA there was on that lasted about 5 seconds. and no one really knew what it was. When I walked out side to see what was going on I notices there was a very long crack running down the middle of the street that wasn't there a few min. before. We haven't had one since Thank God.
04-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm just glad it wasn't the New Madrid fault that acted up. That's the one that in the early 1800's < 1811 1812 > made the Mississippi change it's course, and formed Reelfoot lake !
04-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #12

I felt it as I was sleeping and I felt the house shake and rumble, and then my bed. I jumped out of bed as I thought a Semi Truck was crashing into the house (I live on a busy street), or a plane had crashed (I live under a takeoff pattern 4 miles from O'hare Airport)...I went to bed when I didnt see nothing outside as I just wanted my 30 more minutes of sleep before my alarm went