Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The passengers? Let's hope they are not considered expendable parts of the plot.
This bit worries me. The plane lifted to an altitude where if the passenger cabin depressurised everyone dies.

And none of those passengers sent a text or made a call.

03-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This bit worries me. The plane lifted to an altitude where if the passenger cabin depressurised everyone dies.

And none of those passengers sent a text or made a call.
I looked up cell phone range, and the maximum distances is 45 miles but considering handshake timing, and obstructions the practical distance is likely about 10 miles. The plane, according to maps is quite a bit further out from land at the point of the turn than cell range to anywhere.

Even considering say a 39000 foot cruse altitude, it is close to practical cell range and you are inside a conducting cylinder so it is unlikely cell communications was possible unless someone called while immediately above a tower
03-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Maybe not as crazy as it sounds. Suppose this is a group of people who plotted to go off the grid, crew and passengers who paid a good sum of cash for the adventure? In this digital world where everybody is watched and tracked, something like this is considered impossible. Perhaps this is an elaborate game being played out. With a large group of computer geeks involved, this isn't outside the realm of possibility.
Reef, that's pretty far out, but in this world there is very little that would shock me...or anyone else. It is possible, as time winds down without a trace, that we will never have an answer. It will not be the first mystery of a missing plane, and not the last either.
I watched a documentary on this a few years ago...fascinating stuff.
WWII plane rescue in the Andes Mountains - Helicopter Database

Regards!
03-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The latest report says that the input that turned it off course was made throught the cockpit computer, not manual control, but it isn't known whether the new course was input before or after takeoff.

03-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The latest report says that the input that turned it off course was made throught the cockpit computer, not manual control, but it isn't known whether the new course was input before or after takeoff.
Depends on which Network you are viewing.....some say before, some say after. I think they are doing a lot of speculation based on "viewer interest" and not on hard evidence. You think?

Regards!
03-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Reef, that's pretty far out, but in this world there is very little that would shock me...or anyone else. It is possible, as time winds down without a trace, that we will never have an answer. It will not be the first mystery of a missing plane, and not the last either.
I watched a documentary on this a few years ago...fascinating stuff.
WWII plane rescue in the Andes Mountains - Helicopter Database

Regards!
I grew up along the east coast of Florida and also grew up with the Bermuda Triangle legends. Those of us who were raised along the ocean know what a dangerous world it can be. Sudden storms can pop up and be very severe. Even large ships have disappeared without a trace through the years and we have all heard the stories. There is an arrogance in modern times that nothing can simply disappear with sattelites, GPS, modern communications and radar. Our technology is better but this event proves that even today, a plane can simply disappear without a trace. There is also a blind faith in modern technology that it can't totally fail. My 40 years as a mechanic tell me otherwise and the newer, high tech trucks are the most unreliable ones in decades. That is one reason I'm very nervous about flying.
03-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends on which Network you are viewing.....some say before, some say after. I think they are doing a lot of speculation based on "viewer interest" and not on hard evidence. You think?

Regards!
Absolutely. No self respecting reporter would stick to the facts.

03-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Fortunately, we have no shortage of those "self-respecting" reporters!

Regards!
03-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

This sounds more like it:

A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet | Autopia | Wired.com
03-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Somebody always applies Occam's Razor eventually.

I'm curious why there is no signal from the (orange) black box, though.
03-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Yes it does...maybe? Did the co-pilot make the "goodnight all right" call before or after the turn? If before, it makes sense, if after, it doesn't.

Regards!
03-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Somebody always applies Occam's Razor eventually.

I'm curious why there is no signal from the (orange) black box, though.
Yes it does...maybe? Did the co-pilot make the "goodnight all right" call before or after the turn? If before, it makes sense, if after, it doesn't.

Regards!
It has credibility right down to the point where they reference the only other tire fire. That DC8 I believe it wa, crashed within minutes, not over an hour after take off. If a fire burned for that long, somebody would have known long before the plane disappeared
03-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I can see the cell phones not working over mid-ocean, but as the plane passed back over the mainland, why no cell phone calls? Not much about this makes any sense from what we have been told so far, does it?

Regards!
03-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see the cell phones not working over mid-ocean, but as the plane passed back over the mainland, why no cell phone calls? Not much about this makes any sense from what we have been told so far, does it?

Regards!
As far as I am concerned there are only 3 hard data points, the plane departed at a known time, it lost reliable communications about 45 minutes later over open water, and it is now lost. Everything else is single source, unconfirmed and speculation.

The press releases have been contradictory, misleading and downright confusing. Perhaps someone knows more, and is holding it close, but in all the reports there are, or seem to be gaps.

Even the reported turn, has gaps in it, happened at the limits admittedly of radar coverage, and might not be the same plane.

One thing I can guarantee is that if and when the plane is found, someone will produce the full track of evidence that leads to the discovery, and all the Monday-morning quarterbacks will come out and criticize the authorities for being stupid and not seeing the diamonds of data, in the surrounding mud more clearly.
03-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! Does this mean I'm not alone?

They stick a pretty head (of either sex) in front of a camera somewhere in the great outdoors and people are supposed to believe that the pretty head is a reporter who has the latest, most accurate info garnered through their dedicated and relentless pursuit of the truth, wherever it might take them. Yeah. Right

Richard.