Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been out of satellite comms business too long to be able to help.

I did work at the Australian Intelsat TTC&M (Tracking, Telemetry, Control, and Monitoring) earth station in Carnarvon, Western Australia but that was in 1970-71 so the technology has changed. My wife worked at the NASA Tracking Station down the road but she was monitoring the sun for solar flares.

So we are of no use in tracking missing cows although I am very good at stepping in manure so that method of finding them may work.

Last edited by p38arover; 03-27-2014 at 01:56 AM.
03-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Concern for those missing cows crosses all lines of race, religion and ... um, sexual orientation.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Concern for those missing cows crosses all lines of race, religion and ... um, sexual orientation.
Sounds like a bunch of "Bull" to me.
03-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #94
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
So we are of no use in tracking missing cows although I am very good at stepping in manure so that method of finding them may work.
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I do appreciate you guys helping out since Mrs Rupert cut me off from the hunt. It would be much easier if they had gone missing out on the open range instead of the brush and rattlesnake infested land the Old Guy owns.

These could be spotted easily by a simple drone, no satellite needed.

Keep me posted on your results, I'm pulling for you guys to do what I couldn't...find those big bovine creatures before it is too late!

Regards!

03-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #95
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nesster......Buddy, I may have to leave this search up to you. Mrs Rupert came by while I had this thread open and declared this "cow nonsense" the "biggest sack of crapola" she had ever seen displayed in public by grown men.
Rupert
if she thinks that, then clearly, she hasn't read some of your (our?) other posts.
03-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #96

Show a little class guys, just ask yourself whether you would be making jokes if this was a planeload of Americans from Texas or passengers from your native country instead of anonymous people 1.2 a world away before you make your next post.
03-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parallax Quote
if she thinks that, then clearly, she hasn't read some of your (our?) other posts.
CLEARLY!

Blind Bat...No one is making fun of anyone, except maybe the inept authorities that have bungled this investigation from the start, but certainly not the passengers or families. I started this when the Old Guy showed little or no interest in the missing plane, but plenty for his missing cows. It was, to me, an example of how we all see things differently, and too often from our own perspective. Clearly he values his cows more than people and events that are far from his 82 year old world. That's not what we expect, but in reality, that is how the world often reacts.....valuing our own needs over those of others. It hit me as the perfect example, and instead of bashing the Old Guy straight on, or those like him, I chose to have a little fun to ridicule his response as an absurd hunt for missing cows....

A little fun to me....maybe others with a sense of humor.....not Mrs Rupert, who didn't see it as offensive, just stupid.

Best Regards!

03-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Show a little class guys, just ask yourself whether you would be making jokes if this was a planeload of Americans from Texas or passengers from your native country instead of anonymous people 1.2 a world away before you make your next post.
I agree, you're absolutely right. Now, if it was a plane load of lawyers....... Or a plane load of politicians from Texas.......

I'll stop now, Sorry!
03-27-2014, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Do you remember the joke asking what NASA stood for after the space shuttle blew up?

People have always relied on humour to get them through difficult times.

I used it myself after my son died on a motorcycle ride 6 years ago - sharing jokes and funny stories about him with his friends helped us all.

Six of the plane's passengers are from here.

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2014 at 20:07 ----------

Rupert, Are you sure they were cows? They may have arrived here!

Water buffalo on the loose in Newtown

Last edited by p38arover; 03-27-2014 at 05:10 AM.
03-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you find comments as seen here disturbing you'd best not listen in to the dark humor that abounds in cockpits after something like this.

There's a need to assimilate such happenings, distill them to their essence, understand what's possible to sort out and accommodate it in a manner that allows one to go forward with wary respect and a plan of action for uncontrollable variables in the future.

----------

A classic example of black cockpit humor is:

"I wanna go out quietly in my sleep like grandpa did. Not screaming hysterically like the passengers behind 'im."

The person in the Captain's seat traditionally gets the privilege of the earliest ToD in the coroner's report!
03-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #101
Veteran Member

p38arover- Thanks for the video, but these were cows, not water Buffalos. It does however, show that there is still hope the missing cows are perhaps out on the streets of Ft Worth partying or maybe in someones back yard nibbling at their new spring flowers?

As for the victims and families, of course they have our sympathy. Few if any of us have not experienced the loss of loved ones and the pain of those losses. Makes no difference where these people were from, their nationality, their race or religion. They are all someone's loved ones, children, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, friends. To think we don't understand that and feel the pain is even more absurd than the hunt for missing cows.

There are a few of us here at PF and other sites that enjoy a little humor more often than not. Sometimes just slapstick, sometimes wrapped in sarcasm, sometimes a little dark humor. It helps to get through what is too often a dark and difficult world, filled with serious concerns and heartbreaking realities. There are others that have zero sense of humor, don't understand humor, and go through life with their head down and a snarl on their face....to these, we extend our sincere sympathy, it must be a painful life.

One final thought this morning on cows......

Mama cows, keep your babies close at hoof, it's a big bad world out there.

Regards!
03-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mama cows, keep your babies close at hoof, it's a big bad world out there.
Rupert, here I was thinking you'd break into song: Mama cows, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys....

Meanwhile, back on some planet, Yahoo had a news link to a conspiracy theory -- involves remote control of the plane, it landing elsewhere, and some high tech chip, and the 9/11 planes still flying, and so on. Something about it being a CIA + insert all other spy agencies etc plot. That's sad.

And, does anyone appreciate the irony that NASA found a whole new planetoid in our solar system AND a potential other Earth, around an unnamed M1 star. But a missing airplane, not so much.
03-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #103
Pentaxian

I think most of us have expectations that modern technology can do whatever we demand of it. While it's true NASA just found a new planetoid, they have been looking into that area of space for years. The other irony is something the searchers have stated. We know more about space than that area of the ocean. The sea floor has never been mapped and that area of the ocean is rarely traveled. The longest a plane can search is a couple of hours before it needs to return. Some of the planes only have an hour of search time. There is a possibility it will never be found.
03-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Meanwhile, back on some planet, Yahoo had a news link to a conspiracy theory -- involves remote control of the plane, it landing elsewhere, and some high tech chip, and the 9/11 planes still flying, and so on. Something about it being a CIA + insert all other spy agencies etc plot. That's sad.
I love a good conspiracy theory, and have little doubt that there are many conspiracies that are never revealed or exposed. High tech makes them even more possible, but far too many theories are just plain old pathetic in their reasoning. It is one reason I am not a fiction reader, my own mind tends to wander off base way too far to be encouraging it by reading fiction!

I'll close with one other theory, that the missing cows defected and became radicals?

I love this, must have watched it a million times! Mrs Rupert says I have a 10 year old mentality, maybe so, but it sure as hell is fun!

Bovine Freedom! Cows have fun! Me too!

Regards!
03-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love a good conspiracy theory, and have little doubt that there are many conspiracies that are never revealed or exposed. High tech makes them even more possible, but far too many theories are just plain old pathetic in their reasoning. It is one reason I am not a fiction reader, ......
Perhaps you should watch 3 days of the condor. Redford looks for plots by reading books.

If you read current spy fiction a lot of terror plots have been in print long before they happen. Conspiracies too!

---------- Post added 03-27-2014 at 05:16 PM ----------

I'll close with one other theory, that the missing cows defected and became radicals?

I love this, must have watched it a million times! Mrs Rupert says I have a 10 year old mentality,.....
That might be considered a really disrespectful thing to all then10 year olds

You need to aquatint yourself with joe fish