Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a marketplace. Lowballs, haggling, sob stories that may or may not be true. It's all part of the game.

One thing I do though is I ALWAYS respond POLITELY, even if the offer is a really dumb lowball (like somewhere around 50% of asking price). Here's a template of my response:

"Hi _____. Thanks for the message.

Sorry, that offer is way too low/Sorry, I'm firm on my asking price.

Thanks again.

Earl"

It takes < 30 seconds.

I also do this for emails, even for sprawling one-line conversation email threads.

"Hi _____. Thanks for the message.

Sounds great.

Thanks again.

Earl"

It just sounds really polite.

Politeness is key! Not just here, but anytime you're dealing with people.

Sell sell sell.

03-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I can see I'm in a teeny tiny minority - even of Mods - at one time I recall haggling was discouraged by Forum social convention - but most of those members are gone now. Moved to FF I suppose. Probably sold their gear here, too. I probably boiught some of it and I might be about to sell some of it.*

* threatens self periodically to sell everything and convert to three FA Lims. Seems to have some unrgency now.
03-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
haggling was discouraged by Forum social convention
It's not allowed in open posting. As long as it's done by PM or email, haggle away. (or not. It's entirely up to the seller.)
It's all much more simple than some people try and make it.
1. Seller advertises item for price x.
2. Potential buyer either buys it at that price, buys it at a lower price if the seller wishes to negotiate, or doesn't buy it.
03-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks

I'll test out the Seller Side quite frequently in coming weeks, I think. The words 'Fixed' and 'Price' might appear in large font sizes.

Pondering a new approach to Gear List construction. Maybe also preparing for a change in image circle.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's not allowed in open posting. As long as it's done by PM or email, haggle away. (or not. It's entirely up to the seller.)
1. Seller advertises item for price x.
2. Potential buyer either buys it at that price, buys it at a lower price if the seller wishes to negotiate, or doesn't buy it.

03-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe also preparing for a change in image circle.
Don't say it! NO
03-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
MSL
Pentaxian

That's because it is all being explained using words! What we really need are wordless pictograms such as those that come with flat pack furniture. Sounds like a potential contest idea to me

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 04:29 PM ----------

Don't say it! :NO:
IT IT IT

now what?
03-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I know that if someone else has opened an item, much less used it, I am absolutely not paying full, retail, "I have a warranty!" price. Nope. Not gonna do it! And some crazy folks think that $25 is enough of a discount on a $700 (new) item. If I can buy it new, and get a warranty, for $25 more than your "used" price, that's what I'll do. Used is at least 25-30% off the retail price for an item that's still available through conventional retail channels. If it's not available anymore, it depends. If there's a new version that's better, half price. If there's a new version that sucks, you might be able to get better than retail. If there's nothing comparable available, it's all up to demand. If there's a large demand & a limited supply, you start talking collector values...

03-19-2014, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote

IT IT IT

now what?
bonk
03-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I know that if someone else has opened an item, much less used it, I am absolutely not paying full, retail, "I have a warranty!" price. Nope. Not gonna do it! And some crazy folks think that $25 is enough of a discount on a $700 (new) item. If I can buy it new, and get a warranty, for $25 more than your "used" price, that's what I'll do. Used is at least 25-30% off the retail price for an item that's still available through conventional retail channels. If it's not available anymore, it depends. If there's a new version that's better, half price. If there's a new version that sucks, you might be able to get better than retail. If there's nothing comparable available, it's all up to demand. If there's a large demand & a limited supply, you start talking collector values...
Depends on the item. Everyone knows an realizes camera bodies depreciate. Buy from whom ever you choose and pay what you're willing and the seller accepts.
03-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #25
MSL
Pentaxian

:bonk:
(Not so) glad I asked. Looks like a marketplace deal gone bad!
03-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
Not like the good old days

The last few times I've tried to sell items I get ridiculous counter offers. I'll keep the item rather than take a huge lost.

I'm tired of buyers saying they only have a certain amount to spend and they expect you to give your equipment away for 70% of the listed price.

Things have really tighten up here over the past year. I'm sorry I upped my membership dues because I mainly use this forum for the marketplace.

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I have bought and sold here at PF a few times, always a a good experience. But it seems here lately members are trying to turn it into an auction style with PM's haggling or lowball offers....

JJ

Last edited by mpreston; 03-19-2014 at 03:24 PM.
03-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Depends on the item. Everyone knows an realizes camera bodies depreciate. Buy from whom ever you choose and pay what you're willing and the seller accepts.
Completely agree. My limits & personal guidelines are what I use to determine if I will buy something new, used or be patient & hound the auctions for a lousy listing bargain.
03-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mpreston Quote
The last few times I've tried to sell items I get ridiculous counter offers. I'll keep the item rather than take a huge lost.

I'm tired of buyers saying the only have a certain amount to spend and they expect you to give your equipment away for 70% of the listed price.

Things have really tighten up here over the past year. I'm sorry I upped my membership dues because I mainly use this forum for the marketplace.
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Completely agree. My limits & personal guidelines are what I use to determine if I will buy something new, used or be patient & hound the auctions for a lousy listing bargain.

There is a fine line between frugal and cheap. I think there are a lot of people who act cheap on forums because there isn't a bidding process and you don't have to complete the sale face to face in a store or even flea market or garage sale.

You'd never walk into a store and cry a sob story looking for a lower price. People too often take advantage of the community nature of the forums and exploit that for a savings.

I've had great experiences as the buyer and some that were just fine as the seller. I've also had the ridiculous offers and silliness as the seller. I dread selling on forums because of the crap people come up with as buyers.
03-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've had no problems in the Marketplace, all has gone smoothly except one shipment I made to Canada that took forever to get to the buyer...but it finally did!

I'll just use this opportunity to once again warn, Never, Ever buy anything from Otis Squirrel. I get calls and mail daily from buyers that have been ripped off by Otis on E-Bay and other sites. I can't help them, but I can warn you guys!

His latest scam has been to sell freshly shell(ed) pecans @ $5. a pound...well below market value...with free shipping.
Unfortunately, he just ships the shells, the pecans are long gone.....His ad on E-Bay, if you have seen it, does say "shell" but most assume he is just a bad speller.

Regards!
03-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've had no problems in the Marketplace, all has gone smoothly except one shipment I made to Canada that took forever to get to the buyer...but it finally did!

I'll just use this opportunity to once again warn, Never, Ever buy anything from Otis Squirrel. I get calls and mail daily from buyers that have been ripped off by Otis on E-Bay and other sites. I can't help them, but I can warn you guys!

His latest scam has been to sell freshly shell(ed) pecans @ $5. a pound...well below market value...with free shipping.
Unfortunately, he just ships the shells, the pecans are long gone.....His ad on E-Bay, if you have seen it, does say "shell" but most assume he is just a bad speller.

Regards!
Can they be used for cleaning brass like crushed walnut shells/hulls or corn husks and people are just confused about what they're buying?