Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
There is a fine line between frugal and cheap. I think there are a lot of people who act cheap on forums because there isn't a bidding process and you don't have to complete the sale face to face in a store or even flea market or garage sale.

You'd never walk into a store and cry a sob story looking for a lower price. People too often take advantage of the community nature of the forums and exploit that for a savings.

I've had great experiences as the buyer and some that were just fine as the seller. I've also had the ridiculous offers and silliness as the seller. I dread selling on forums because of the crap people come up with as buyers.
No, you wouldn't bring out the sob story at the flea market. But you would bring out the green & say, "I don't have $400, but I have $325 CASH right NOW." Sometimes, you get your deal. Sometimes, you don't. Anything that I need to have, I'm willing to pay for new. If I don't need it, it's a want. Wants are luxuries. I can take my time bargain shopping. Or wheeling & dealing. Never be afraid to walk away from the dealing table.

Last edited by dansamy; 03-19-2014 at 03:23 PM.
03-19-2014, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the most frequent pricing issues are with camera bodies and accessories, not lenses. I think there is a trend that a lot of people feel like something should be at least 20-25% off the retail price just because something has been opened. You see this with lighting mods, camera straps, etc. Things are compounded by the retailers frequently offering free shipping and shipping prices are a cut into what someone receives for the item as the seller or brings the price closer to the new item for the buyer.
Honest question but why do you expect to get retail for something that's not brand new and still sealed? Open box items are no longer brand new. They're open box. It's a mint item, maybe even never tried out but it's not the same as buying it brand new in a store completely unopened. Most stores will discount by 20% sometimes more for an open box item. That's common place. They will also charge a restocking fee to people who return items that they've just opened, briefly checked out but not used to cover that. They don't try to sell anything that's been opened as new, at least most stores I've dealt with don't. That's why people probably expect that. I mean new is NEW, as in never opened, straight from a store. It's not a second hand purchase from a person, an open box item. No matter how minty an item is, once you open it, it's technically a second hand item, not a new purchase and I don't think that it's legit to ask for the original price actually for an item like that. Most camera/electronics stores wouldn't. So why should a normal person expect to be able to do that? It just doesn't make sense to me. A car might be brand new from the factory, you drive it off lot, it's a used car. It might be "like new" but it's still lost value just by virtue of it having been purchased. I don't see how it's any different with gear...

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 06:33 PM ----------

You'd never walk into a store and cry a sob story looking for a lower price. People too often take advantage of the community nature of the forums and exploit that for a savings.
People do that. I worked retail management for a lot of years and believe me I've heard it all. I've had people totally try and talk me down on items that were basically luxury goods crying poor. They wanted $200 items when it was obvious they could barely afford to take the bus downtown. You'd have kids who apparently can't even afford a slice for lunch, literally, yet they're insistent upon wearing $200 sneakers. Me, when I'm that broke and I need shoes? I shop at Walmart and grab me a $10 pair of sneakers so I can still eat and have something to put on my feet. I don't plead poverty and try to buy designer shoes I can't afford.
03-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
I've had good luck buying and selling on the fourm for the past six years - (I probably have had 3-4 thousand dollars in trnaactions), but the over the past year it seems like some people (maybe newer members) are just wanting things for nothing.

I'm never that desperate for cash. God forbid if you are because the wolves will be out in force.

So I'd rather keep what I have for sale rather than give it away. I have friends and family that I'll give it to.

I use the lens review as a price guideline always figure I could throw in shipping and paypal fees as a counter offer, maybe even come down 20 bucks, but now people want $100 off items and what me to include shipping and fees. Yikes! that is asking a lot. Its getting to be that eBay looks like a deal with only 13% of a cut (selling and paypal fees).
03-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
No, you wouldn't bring out the sob story at the flea market. But you would bring out the green & say, "I don't have $400, but I have $325 CASH right NOW." Sometimes, you get your deal. Sometimes, you don't. Anything that I need to have, I'm willing to pay for new. If I don't need it, it's a want. Wants are luxuries. I can take my time bargain shopping. Or wheeling & dealing. Never be afraid to walk away from the dealing table.
$75 off is under 20%. It never hurts to ask. I'm not saying haggling is bad or shouldn't happen. Making an offer is legit. What I don't care for is the people who in their first contact with you ask "What's your bottom dollar or lowest price?"

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Honest question but why do you expect to get retail for something that's not brand new and still sealed? Open box items are no longer brand new. They're open box. It's a mint item, maybe even never tried out but it's not the same as buying it brand new in a store completely unopened. Most stores will discount by 20% sometimes more for an open box item. That's common place. They will also charge a restocking fee to people who return items that they've just opened, briefly checked out but not used to cover that. They don't try to sell anything that's been opened as new, at least most stores I've dealt with don't. That's why people probably expect that. I mean new is NEW, as in never opened, straight from a store. It's not a second hand purchase from a person, an open box item. No matter how minty an item is, once you open it, it's technically a second hand item, not a new purchase and I don't think that it's legit to ask for the original price actually for an item like that. Most camera/electronics stores wouldn't. So why should a normal person expect to be able to do that? It just doesn't make sense to me. A car might be brand new from the factory, you drive it off lot, it's a used car. It might be "like new" but it's still lost value just by virtue of it having been purchased. I don't see how it's any different with gear...
Thank you for the detailed clarification between new and mint, second hand. At no point was I confused on the subject or ever claim that people should willing to pay full retail for an opened item. I simply said that something like a camera strap, removed from the box and tried in the house...that person should be able to sell it for 90-95% of the new price. Same with a light mod for a speed light or a grey card for exposure.

Bottom line, there's a difference between haggling or making an offer and simply being a cheapskate. And asking for someone's lowest price without making an offer is not haggling.

03-19-2014, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #35
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
People do that. I worked retail management for a lot of years and believe me I've heard it all. I've had people totally try and talk me down on items that were basically luxury goods crying poor. They wanted $200 items when it was obvious they could barely afford to take the bus downtown. You'd have kids who apparently can't even afford a slice for lunch, literally, yet they're insistent upon wearing $200 sneakers. Me, when I'm that broke and I need shoes? I shop at Walmart and grab me a $10 pair of sneakers so I can still eat and have something to put on my feet. I don't plead poverty and try to buy designer shoes I can't afford.
Clearly everyone need a refresher course on Dr. Huxtable from the Cosby Show with Cosby downplaying his status just as the salesman tries to play up his need for a bit of profit.
03-19-2014, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Person to person sales will always be bound to some sort of "negotiation".
In the end, buyer has the right to try and get a deal and seller has the right to sell or refuse to sell to a certain person.

And in the end... both parties have the right to complain or vent .
I believe the saying goes: "It's a good deal when both parties feel equal amounts of pain."
03-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I always open with something under my ideal price. If I get a counter, I know the seller is willing to pay ball with me. If I get the silent treatment or an incredulous reply, I move on.

03-19-2014, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I believe the saying goes: "It's a good deal when both parties feel equal amounts of pain."
The other thing to keep in mind is that the monetary value of an item is determined SOLEY by what somebody is willing to pay for it. If nobody is willing to pay more than $500.00 for a mint condition HD DA 10-600 f1.2 Ltd, then that's what a HD DA 10-600 f1.2 Ltd is worth.
03-19-2014, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #39
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haven't sold here but have bought quite a few items, some pretty high-end. I check the retail if applicable and the review price history. If it's in line, I pay the asking price, often with the line "your price, my fees". Once in awhile I've asked for a bit off but if it's something I feel is worth the price TO ME, I don't haggle. I have some pretty awesome lenses that I probably paid too much for, but that was my choice and I'm happy with them. And I hope sellers were satisfied too. I'd like to think we're a community here where we want every member to feel positive about their contributions.
Pet peeve: "If it doesn't sell in two days, it's off to eBay." For three weeks running.
03-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #40
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Pet peeve: "If it doesn't sell in two days, it's off to eBay." For three weeks running.
Couldn't agree more. What is that? Some sort of threat? "If one of you doesn't buy this, I'm going to punish you all by selling it on eBay"
03-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Couldn't agree more. What is that? Some sort of threat? "If one of you doesn't buy this, I'm going to punish you all by selling it on eBay"
That just encourages me to wait & add it to my eBay search saves.
03-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

That happens a lot on my BJD doll forum. People threaten to sell their dolls on Ebay if they don't go in a week or list them as an "emergency sale" as if that's going to make anyone buy them any faster? There's seemingly a lot of buyer's remorse with resin dolls. People will spend huge amounts of money on high end resin dolls then turn around a month later and try to sell them for full retail because they abruptly realized how insane spending 1K or more for a DOLL is. There are people out there in the hobby that will run to spend the equivalent of a month's rent or even two or three month's rent on their dolls and they don't seemingly even stop to think before they leap. All I can think is they're either independently wealthy or a little too obsessed for their own good! :P
03-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Some of that is bipolar behavior. During a manic period, they'll do rash or unwise things. Then, they'll slump into a depressive period.
03-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I've have bought and sold quite a bit over the years. When selling, I almost expect some lower offers here and there. I do a lot of research on pricing before I put anything up for sale, and try to get as close to used market value as I can with my listing.

One offer that was made comes to the top of my mind right away. The first sentence in the PM was "well you know that nobody pays the asking price here, so this is what I am offering". Huh? I didn't really like that attitude, but of course replied in a friendly manner as I always do.

When contacting a buyer - again doing my due diligence of researching the market price - if I want to offer a lower than asking price, I will usually send along some proof. For example, if I can buy the same item new for 10% more than the seller is asking, I will politely make an offer and prove where I am seeing the other prices.

All in all, I feel the Marketplace here is very well run and actually enjoy the buying/selling process. I think Adam and the mods have done a great job over the years trying to make it a good place to exchange gear, and most importantly, making it safe for both buyer and seller.
03-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #45
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
All in all, I feel the Marketplace here is very well run and actually enjoy the buying/selling process
I didn't realize the marketplace was for actual buying and selling. I thought it was just way to allow LBA sufferers the chance to window shop a safe and cozy environment