Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With Spring rapidly approaching I've been looking for a light spinning reel.
The old reliable made in USA Penn Spinfishers I used are pretty pricey now.

I settled on a NOS late 1980's made in Japan Shimano graphite model.
I used them before I got married and they were pretty slick operators.

I'm also thinking about getting a 3-piece light pack rod to keep in the car.
Graphite rods are nice but I think an Ugly Stik would last longer in the trunk.

Chris

04-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have made no progress on making experimental circuits, but I have added another hobby
I have and use a commodore 64 emulator on my PC. They also have one for a smart phone
I'm learning assembler both from a huge book and a youtube channel
04-01-2019, 02:10 PM - 3 Likes   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of the rod cases on Amazon from China have unintentionally humorous statements emblazoned on them.

You'll have to invert the image to read this one, but IMO it's worth the trouble:

How'd you like to be walking around all day with that printed on your gear?

Chris
04-01-2019, 07:05 PM - 4 Likes   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've recently become enamored with 3D printing and picked up a kit printer to assemble - it's working and seems to be dialed in pretty well now. Even used it for some photography related items:

An OEM-style hood for my Sigma 70-200/2.8. I have the older APO EX version and the hood is a tiny bit smaller than the later models. I've been on the lookout for an original hood for probably 5 years and have never seen one for sale. Someone else must have been in the same boat, because they uploaded their design to thingiverse.com. I printed one and it fits quite well - even reverses and locks on like an OEM hood! I've sanded the inside of the hood to reduce reflections, but it could still use a coat of flat black paint.

I've also been on the prowl for a Tamron palm rest, and finally got one off of eBay not too long ago. They seem to be quite rare, so I made an attempt to print my own so I don't have to worry about losing my long-sought-after original.

First attempt on the left to check sizing, second attempt on the right with some smoother curves and a couple of rounded edges to make it more comfortable. The printed ones look a lot bigger, but they're really not - I think it's a trick of perspective in the photo and that the original has all rounded corners and edges. Haven't tried using it much yet, but it seems to fit pretty well and feels about as strong as the original. Here it is mounted on a Tamron 360B, using the original's screw to attach it. I need to find a suitable replacement for that piece also...

And lastly, a little hotshoe mount that clips onto a light stand to hold a remote trigger receiver (hotshoe copied from a design uploaded to thingiverse.com and modified to add a clip that fits the diameter of my light stand - and stays in place by friction, at least with a lightweight Cowboy Studio receiver):

04-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #140
Pentaxian

How much does the plastic cost for making something like that?
04-01-2019, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My other hobby is woodworking. Started as a kid with my dad in the early 60's. Photography came along the late 60's, and both have continued thru the years (with some long gaps when real life got in the way). It never occurred to me, until a few years ago, to combine the two. Now I make my own frames and display cases for my photographs to give as gifts to friends and family. I like to make them out wood species that are native to the area the photo was taken, sometimes picking up downed wood from the very spot, then milling it down.
04-02-2019, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
How much does the plastic cost for making something like that?
Not that much for just the material. I'm still on the spool of filament that was included with my printer, but for a rough estimate...

The software I used to prepare the design for printing estimated the lens hood at 61 grams of filament, the palm rest at 16 grams, and the light stand clip at 4 grams. A kilogram spool of filament is around $20 ($0.02/gram), so material cost works out to about $1.22 for the hood, $0.32 for the palm rest, and $0.08 for the clip.

The highest resource cost is the time it takes to print. I printed the lens hood at about the best quality my printer is capable of, and it took over 11 hours!

04-02-2019, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #143
Pentaxian

Some of my other hobbies relate to photography and some don't. They include: hiking (with a camera), running+biking (long-course duathlon without a camera), travel to distant cities & countrysides (with a camera), taking things apart (often involves a dead camera), and keeping a few orchids and very old houseplants on this side of the grave (not worth using a camera).
04-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Some of my other hobbies relate to photography and some don't. They include: hiking (with a camera), running+biking (long-course duathlon without a camera), travel to distant cities & countrysides (with a camera), taking things apart (often involves a dead camera), and keeping a few orchids and very old houseplants on this side of the grave (not worth using a camera).
LOL, I like how the camera has a relationship with all the others. I'm trying to make mine interconnect more.

(The post up there with the 3d printer wins the thread IMHO. Super cool stuff)
04-04-2019, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An eBay seller sent me an offer for a NOS made in USA Penn spinning reel I had enquired about.

I accepted.
I paid too much but my birthday's coming.

And like cameras and lenses you can never have too many good fishing reels...

Chris
04-04-2019, 01:25 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Rock climbing and archery are the two main ones for me. I have been finding it harder to make much time for either of them recently though - life seems to get in the way.
Almost five years to the day since my last post in this thread. Trail running has taken over as number one. Climbing second and archery a distant third.
And to the OP @skankin_giant , I too have my own Cornish National Tartan kilt

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-04-2019 at 01:37 AM.
04-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided to stick to 2-piece fishing rods and simply look for a longer rod case.

Anyone who has had a rod come apart with an overenthusiastic cast
will understand why I don't want to go the pack rod route if possible.

I just need to measure the distance between the wheel wells behind the back seat.
That's another thing for me to do when I replace those blown rear deck speakers.

My rusty old car will be really tricked out when I junk it!

Chris
04-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dtrego Quote
Not that much for just the material. I'm still on the spool of filament that was included with my printer, but for a rough estimate...

The software I used to prepare the design for printing estimated the lens hood at 61 grams of filament, the palm rest at 16 grams, and the light stand clip at 4 grams. A kilogram spool of filament is around $20 ($0.02/gram), so material cost works out to about $1.22 for the hood, $0.32 for the palm rest, and $0.08 for the clip.

The highest resource cost is the time it takes to print. I printed the lens hood at about the best quality my printer is capable of, and it took over 11 hours!
That is a long time!
06-03-2019, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They saw me coming!

I wanted a couple of <$5.00 lures I saw on the Bass Pro Shops website.
In order to get free shipping ($50 minimum) I had to add a $40 rod...

Chris
06-17-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recently I have discovered many new ultralight lures.
I don't recall seeing so many types in years past.
These should be challenging and lots of fun!

Like so many other lures I'm not sure if they'll catch fish, but I'm sure hooked!

Chris