Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 304 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2019, 04:14 PM - 4 Likes   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a "Daredevle" lure as a photo prop. That's what my dad always used.

Back in November I posted a shot of my canoe restoration. Still working on it but it's really close, maybe a dozen things left to do. The original factory color was boring green, but for 50 years it was red. Now with four coats of Total Boat Wet Edge Topside paint.

12-24-2019, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Domke bag goes full circle

I once owned what my brother dubbed "The World's Noisiest Tackle Box".
It was noisy, not what you want when the aim is to not scare away the fish.

Now soft tackle bags must be pretty popular, judging from how many different models are available.
I like the idea of them, but every one I have looked at was very cheaply made of thin nylon, with multiple balky zippers.

Rather than try to find a tackle bag of better quality, it struck me that one of my extra Domke camera bags should be just about right for my needs.

Interestingly in search of a good working camera bag press photographer Jim Domke tried using fishing bags - before creating his own line of camera bags.

Chris
07-05-2020, 01:40 AM - 7 Likes   #153
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since my last post I have taken on a new hobby. Damascus steel knife making.

My first effort - made under the supervision of my life-long mate at his workshop

My second was intended as a sgian dubh to wear with my kilt - handle customised with the colours of the Cornish National tartan

Number three was the first made entirely at my home workshop

By #4 and #5, I started to hit my straps

07-05-2020, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #154
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My first effort - made under the supervision of my life-long mate at his workshop
Wow...............................excellent work (fun ) Sandy. They look fantastic mate.

07-05-2020, 03:10 AM   #155
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Since my last post I have taken on a new hobby. Damascus steel knife making. . . .
you are ready to compete on " Forged in Fire "

https://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

nicely done

I've added a new one hobby too

training [ being trained by ?? ] a German Shepard

Saxon was born on April 15 this year, last tuesday she weighed 16.2 lbs.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-05-2020 at 03:20 AM.
07-05-2020, 03:22 AM   #156
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you are ready to compete on " Forged in Fire "
Except for a few issues
1) There is no chance on earth I will travel to the USA in the foreseeable future
2) I don't like the obsession with making things that "Wiiiill Kiiiill"
3) It's a really slow process to get it right. I'm not taking shortcuts for anyone
4) I have a lot to learn still, so I'm far from ready
07-05-2020, 03:24 AM   #157
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Except for a few issues
1) There is no chance on earth I will travel to the USA in the foreseeable future
2) I don't like the obsession with making things that "Wiiiill Kiiiill"
3) It's a really slow process to get it right. I'm not taking shortcuts for anyone
4) I have a lot to learn still, so I'm far from ready
I can understand all of those

I like it for the history portions, not so much for the proof of " it will kill "

07-05-2020, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I like it for the history portions, not so much for the proof of " it will kill "
I love the history too, but it is glossed over. As is the actual process of making the blades.

The amount of time of they spend hacking up dummies was a deal-breaker for me.
07-05-2020, 03:40 AM   #159
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the history too, but it is glossed over. As is the actual process of making the blades.

The amount of time of they spend hacking up dummies was a deal-breaker for me.
it is tv of course

there is that limitation for such
07-05-2020, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #160
Pentaxian

Those are beautiful knives, Sandy!
07-05-2020, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #161
Pentaxian

My second was intended as a sgian dubh to wear with my kilt - handle customised with the colours of the Cornish National tartan

Practical and beautiful!
07-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #162
Pentaxian

Beautiful knives you have hand crafted. I also watch Forged in Fire and although I enjoy the show, won't be attempting to make any custom knives. I admire those who do have these skills.

I have a couple of knives that I have had for awhile and quite like. One is my general purpose camp knife. I carry it in my vehicle's emergency kit, particularly in our long, cold prairie winters, along with an Estwing Hatchet and a small swede saw . Just in case we break down somewhere in the middle of nowhere and out here there are plenty of those spots.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...y5uqEIENKYpaCG

One other knife I have and really like is another Buck, my 110 folder. I like it, because of the long history, traditional and robust look...the brass on it. It is old fashioned, been around awhile, does the jobs I ask of it . What more can you ask ? Some I know prefer more modern designs, but I like this old look. Nostalgia maybe.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/110-folding-hunter-knife/0110FAM01/

As you're a knife maker, I would guess that the knife you make, has to have the ability to work well and that is key.

To me the 'look' is also important. As a knife maker, when you're making knives and determining the design and use...what is important to you when determining the criteria ?

What got you into making a knife from ...to borrow a cooking term....from 'scratch' ?
02-12-2021, 07:38 AM - 4 Likes   #163
Pentaxian

With continued lockdown and poor weather in the UK limiting photo opportunities I've taken up making ugears models.

This was the first one

...and work in progress

Last edited by timb64; 02-12-2021 at 07:46 AM.
02-12-2021, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I once owned what my brother dubbed "The World's Noisiest Tackle Box".
It was noisy, not what you want when the aim is to not scare away the fish.

Now soft tackle bags must be pretty popular, judging from how many different models are available.
I like the idea of them, but every one I have looked at was very cheaply made of thin nylon, with multiple balky zippers.

Rather than try to find a tackle bag of better quality, it struck me that one of my extra Domke camera bags should be just about right for my needs.

Interestingly in search of a good working camera bag press photographer Jim Domke tried using fishing bags - before creating his own line of camera bags.

Chris
I have an old metal tackle box, and a few hard plastic jobs. A number of years ago I was talking about tackle boxes to the guy who taught me how to fly fish. He knows I have a freighter canoe (Old Town) and said to me, that a soft bodies tackle box is better than the old metal or hard plastic jobs , as the soft cloth tackle box doesn't make noise on the floor of the boat when you move it around...which translates into noise below the surface of the water and can spook fish.
02-19-2021, 07:49 AM - 9 Likes   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
With continued lockdown and poor weather in the UK limiting photo opportunities I've taken up making ugears models.

This was the first one

...and work in progress

The finished product