Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2021, 04:41 AM - 8 Likes   #166
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm now up to knife #25. Still on the steep side of the learning curve....

03-16-2021, 04:43 AM   #167
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm now up to knife #25. Still on the steep side of the learning curve....
That cleaver is EPIC.
03-16-2021, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #168
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
That cleaver is EPIC.
Thanks mate. The curves in the edge and spine were deliberately incorporated so it could double up as a pizza cutter
03-16-2021, 05:38 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sandy, those are fantastic.

I don't really have anything to show for it in terms of photos, but I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons (and other pen&paper RPGs) weekly with a group of friends for some 5 years now - it's loads of fun.

03-16-2021, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #170
Pentaxian

What possible alternative recreation can there be for a retired English 'gentleman' than Philately. I collect GB pre-decimal (1840 to 1970), and over the years have managed to obtain good examples of almost every GB stamp issued within that period (except for the ones that go for silly amounts - what is the fun of spending £20,000 on a stamp which you have to keep in the dark in case the sunlight fades the colours?)

Many of these, however, have (for me) added interest due to variations in aspects of them - watermark variations, plate damage, plate identification markings, perforations, unissued 'Specimens' etc, for which a USB microscope is incredibly useful, rather than a 'Sherlock Holmes' hand-held magnifying glass, enabling me not only to locate the errors etc, but also to keep a permanent record, to print and add to the albums (currently 29 and rising !).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-16-2021, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
What possible alternative recreation can there be for a retired English 'gentleman' than Philately. I collect GB pre-decimal (1840 to 1970), and over the years have managed to obtain good examples of almost every GB stamp issued within that period (except for the ones that go for silly amounts - what is the fun of spending £20,000 on a stamp which you have to keep in the dark in case the sunlight fades the colours?)

Many of these, however, have (for me) added interest due to variations in aspects of them - watermark variations, plate damage, plate identification markings, perforations, unissued 'Specimens' etc, for which a USB microscope is incredibly useful, rather than a 'Sherlock Holmes' hand-held magnifying glass, enabling me not only to locate the errors etc, but also to keep a permanent record, to print and add to the albums (currently 29 and rising !).
A wonderful hobby. I used to collect stamps when I was very young...6- 12 years old. I recall getting stamps from Osterreich (our neighbours were from Austria), Germany, the UK, USA, etc. The hobby drove me to become interested in countries of the world, whe I was a youngster. To this day, I have a consuming interest in geography and history, wheih I believe stemmed from my early interest in stamp collecting.

Your 1840-1970 collection would be fascinating to see.
03-16-2021, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
<snip>I have a consuming interest in geography and history, wheih I believe stemmed from my early interest in stamp collecting.

Your 1840-1970 collection would be fascinating to see.
Thanks for your comments - I must admit that I have learned more GB geography and history through interests such as stamp collecting, bird watching and railways than I ever learned at school !

I fear that posting images of each page in each of my albums would vastly exceed my allotted space here, but during lockdown they have provided me with at least two hours daily when I can enjoy an ordered, logical world. I gather that King George V, who was himself an avid stamp collector, used his hobby as a way to relax from the cares and pressures of high (if inherited) office.

03-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #173
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thanks mate. The curves in the edge and spine were deliberately incorporated so it could double up as a pizza cutter
Stunning work! I like it!

Also, the photo just above the "pizza cutter" showing the two knives - Those are absolutely gorgeous. Wow!
But then, so is the one with the 8-sided handle. I'm drooling.
03-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Thanks for your comments - I must admit that I have learned more GB geography and history through interests such as stamp collecting, bird watching and railways than I ever learned at school !

I fear that posting images of each page in each of my albums would vastly exceed my allotted space here, but during lockdown they have provided me with at least two hours daily when I can enjoy an ordered, logical world. I gather that King George V, who was himself an avid stamp collector, used his hobby as a way to relax from the cares and pressures of high (if inherited) office.
I've always thought it was good to have a hobby/passion that tends to get the practitioner totally focused on the task at hand. Our children's' pediatrician was an ardent model train enthusiast and used to work on and use his model trains during the evening, to wind down after hours of attending to the medical needs of his young patients.

For me, I read history books (of which I have many), and studied historical atlases (of which I have more than a few) to wind down from a busy day. It does take the mind off of the various crises/workloads that work can produce.
03-17-2021, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Site Supporter

Since 2017 I have been building my O gauge railroad layout for things I have been accumulating for 45 years. My 12 x 32 room isn't as big as I thought it would be!

Hysterical
03-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Since 2017 I have been building my O gauge railroad layout for things I have been accumulating for 45 years. My 12 x 32 room isn't as big as I thought it would be!

:Hysterical:
What kind of scenery / background are you building for your railway layout ? Any special cars/locomotives, etc. ?
03-17-2021, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #177
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

:Hysterical:
I had an OO gauge layout as a kid,if I had enough space it would be on my wish list to recreate it.O gauge would definitely take up more room than SWMBO would allow!!
03-17-2021, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #178
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What kind of scenery / background are you building for your railway layout ? Any special cars/locomotives, etc. ?
Some of it vintage and some more modern like buildings from MTH, Atlas, OGRR etc. I try to group them in areas. I also have some less common buildings. I have mostly vintage Lionel & Marx stuff with a few bluetooth Lionel and modern MTH stuff.

I put together a consist to mimic the SP Daylight pulled by the Black Widows in the Spence Tracy movie Bad Day at Black Rock. I am trying to figure a place to work that little town in.
03-17-2021, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #179
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I had an OO gauge layout as a kid,if I had enough space it would be on my wish list to recreate it.O gauge would definitely take up more room than SWMBO would allow!!
Ironically, the curve diameters etc. on HO are just as problematic. Its the space for buildings etc. that are the biggest difference. Where I got myself in trouble is that some O gauge stuff was done on 1/64 scale and I intended to concentrate on that, but over the years a kept running into 1/48 scale stuff that I liked so now I have to try and balance the perspective to certain areas.
03-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #180
Pentaxian

Some of it vintage and some more modern like buildings from MTH, Atlas, OGRR etc. I try to group them in areas. I also have some less common buildings. I have mostly vintage Lionel & Marx stuff with a few bluetooth Lionel and modern MTH stuff.

I put together a consist to mimic the SP Daylight pulled by the Black Widows in the Spence Tracy movie Bad Day at Black Rock. I am trying to figure a place to work that little town in.
One of my favourite movies, Bad Day at Black Rock. That would be a wonderful diorama to build and display. Unique I would think.