Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 05:46 AM   #211
Veteran Member

I would like to get into deep space telescopes and just observe the visible universe out there.

05-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #212
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I would like to get into deep space telescopes and just observe the visible universe out there.
A good 8" go-to Dobsonian or a Celestron Nexstar 8SE would be a great start for that.
05-14-2021, 06:32 AM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
A good 8" go-to Dobsonian or a Celestron Nexstar 8SE would be a great start for that.
would that be sufficient to see Saturn and Jupiter as well? as in, see them clearly?

many decades ago, i befriending a scientist who had this INSANELY HUGE telescope. Through that, i was able to see Saturn and Jupiter. I could see Jupiter's eye, and it was incredible! since then, i've tried searching what that telescope was, and all images of saturn/jupiter have been super blurry though those telescopes.

maybe his wasn't a consumer telescope
05-14-2021, 04:27 PM - 2 Likes   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a coworker who is an amateur astronomer hobbyist.
If you think exotic camera lenses are expensive check out telescopes!

Chris

05-15-2021, 02:36 PM - 8 Likes   #215
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My latest woodwork project, a new potting bench for Mrs B. to replace the dilapidated one at the right hand edge of the photo.

Last edited by timb64; 05-18-2021 at 05:39 AM.
05-18-2021, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #216
Pentaxian

I have so many hobbies that my friends joke about my hobby being having hobbies....

Photography, sailing, trap shooting, skiing, camping, paddle boarding, biking, sports cars, and now seiko dive watches....I’m making a conscious effort to thin out the garage and limit myself to just 3 hobbies this year.
05-18-2021, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #217
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Cooking (don´t know if it is still a hobby when done almost every day), collecting music and antique natural history books, freshwater aquariums and growing exotic plants

05-20-2021, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
My latest woodwork project, a new potting bench for Mrs B. to replace the dilapidated one at the right hand edge of the photo.
Nice work! Just reminded me I need to work on our potting area a bit.
Al
12-31-2021, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #219
Pentaxian

This Xmas gift from the lovely Mrs B is helping pass the time during my COVID19 isolation

12-31-2021, 11:54 AM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
would that be sufficient to see Saturn and Jupiter as well? as in, see them clearly?

many decades ago, i befriending a scientist who had this INSANELY HUGE telescope. Through that, i was able to see Saturn and Jupiter. I could see Jupiter's eye, and it was incredible! since then, i've tried searching what that telescope was, and all images of saturn/jupiter have been super blurry though those telescopes.

maybe his wasn't a consumer telescope
Back in the day, perhaps in the 1950s or early 1960s, Scientific American magazine had a monthly column titled The Amateur Astronomer, which detailed how to grind and figure your own mirror for a reflector telescope! The the various abrasives and mirror blanks and a similar glass disk for the "tool" weren't expensive, and no fancy instruments were needed to figure the mirror with amazing accuracy. The fun began in the mechanical gubbins needed to carry the mirror, etc. Some could be made of wood! IIRC Edmund Scientific Company - which still exists - was the go-to source for such telescope builders. Edmunds still exists.....
A good library should have back issues of SA, and I imagine that there are books covering grinding a mirror.
01-13-2022, 10:43 AM - 3 Likes   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography is the only hobby I practice with any regularity or consistency.
Second to that would probably be reading for pleasure, fiction or nonfiction.
Third would be physical activity, generally walking for distance and time, swimming, or hiking. My job keeps me tied to a desk, so I really have to make time for physical activity. I suppose gardening and yard work could fall under that as well.
I have had periods of playing music in bands, and periods of not even practicing for years at a time.
I once owned a Mustang Bullitt, which I really enjoyed, but sold to finance a few trips, because travel is probably my favorite hobby.
I used to build models, and if winter restricts my travel and other activities, maybe I will resume building the model I do have on my desk.
I used to paint miniatures of all sorts, even if they were not part of any tabletop warfare I might have engaged in. I would like to resume painting them, because I always enjoyed shading and detailing the figures. Since I cannot accurately draw, this allowed me to experiment with colors and such.
I also enjoy reading/learning foreign languages, each is like a puzzle or code which I enjoy the process of deciphering and understanding, in doing so I often gain a better appreciation for that language and my own as well.
As someone whose main occupation is more about thinking and juggling abstract things and time management, hobbies which allow me to manipulate concrete objects to achieve tangible results allows me to relax my brain .

Last edited by robgski; 01-14-2022 at 05:58 PM.
01-14-2022, 04:53 AM - 2 Likes   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
This Xmas gift from the lovely Mrs B is helping pass the time during my COVID19 isolation
The finished model

05-05-2022, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #223
Pentaxian

Upcycled some old fencing to make a Birthday present for Mrs B.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
05-17-2022, 08:18 PM - 2 Likes   #224
Veteran Member

I love listening and collecting and taking an interest in music.
My collection has thousands of vinyl records, thousands of compact discs, hundreds of cassettes, tens of 8-track tapes, and a large hard drive of “archived” music files.
I probably still have 95% of every record and cd I ever bought. Music, for me, is almost a religion.
Roller hockey. I’ve played roller hockey since the early 1990’s and still play four hours a week; six hours occasionally.
We’ve played tournaments all over the mid-west. I love it!
Attached Images

05-18-2022, 06:42 AM   #225
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I love listening and collecting and taking an interest in music.
My collection has thousands of vinyl records, thousands of compact discs, hundreds of cassettes, tens of 8-track tapes, and a large hard drive of “archived” music files.
I probably still have 95% of every record and cd I ever bought. Music, for me, is almost a religion.
Roller hockey. I’ve played roller hockey since the early 1990’s and still play four hours a week; six hours occasionally.
We’ve played tournaments all over the mid-west. I love it!
Did you build the record shelves yourself?