Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 304 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2022, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Thanks.

Here it is reassembled and test-ridden (sorry, neighbors), ready to head out to the dez on Friday, a two-hour drive. High temp expected to hit 100° but I'll have used up a full tank and be gone before it hits that mark.

Attachment 577932

I started riding in the desert during spring 1968, age 11, when desert sleds like yours were still running.

Any photos of yours?

I'm embarrassed to say that my Matchless Scrambler , along with my '78 Yamaha SR 500 (4 stroke single) ...well,,, both of them are in the back of our shed, along with a lot other stuff.

Here's the advert from the '60's, that got me all fired up to get a 'Desert Sled'.

I'm the second owner and I bought it from a guy who used to work at the motorcycle shop where it was sold. I was told it was imported to the states by the Berliner Bros., back in the '60's....and eventually made it's way to a motorcycle dealer, on the Canadian prairies where I live.

My '78 Yamaha 500, I bought new, in April 1978. It was # 209 off the assembly line, for SR's that were destined and built for the Canadian/American market.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...zJ2xJXsyd4FWq6

07-06-2022, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm embarrassed to say that my Matchless Scrambler , along with my '78 Yamaha SR 500 (4 stroke single) ...well,,, both of them are in the back of our shed, along with a lot other stuff.

Here's the advert from the '60's, that got me all fired up to get a 'Desert Sled'.

I'm the second owner and I bought it from a guy who used to work at the motorcycle shop where it was sold. I was told it was imported to the states by the Berliner Bros., back in the '60's....and eventually made it's way to a motorcycle dealer, on the Canadian prairies where I live.

My '78 Yamaha 500, I bought new, in April 1978. It was # 209 off the assembly line, for SR's that were destined and built for the Canadian/American market.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...zJ2xJXsyd4FWq6

Never owned or rode one, but British bikes from that era and into the early 70s were nicely styled, my favorite was the Norton Commando. The motorcycle magazine ads for that bike featured beautiful women posing with them, which had the desired effect. A google search will bring them up (I Iiked the blonde, best).

07-06-2022, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #258
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Never owned or rode one, but British bikes from that era and into the early 70s were nicely styled, my favorite was the Norton Commando. The motorcycle magazine ads for that bike featured beautiful women posing with them, which had the desired effect. A google search will bring them up (I Iiked the blonde, best).

My Matchless has the Norton 750cc engine, which was also used in the Norton Commando, although the Commando had some performance parts...that my version (the Atlas engine) did not have. The Commando eventually in it's later production had the engine enlarged to 850cc...although actually it was only 828cc.

The Commando in the early '70's was regarded as a super bike, performance wise...up there with the newly (1969) introduced Honda 750cc four.

Yes, the adverts back then in those days, were a touch risque .....
07-13-2022, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best motorcycle song - ever!

Richard Thompson - 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

IIRC I was in the audience at this show at The Church of St. Anne & The Holy Trinity in Brooklyn NY in 1992.

Chris

07-21-2022, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7kLWJNeV4&ab_channel=joni36

IIRC I was in the audience at this show at The Church of St. Anne & The Holy Trinity in Brooklyn NY in 1992.

Chris
Never heard that song before. In my garage I have some tin advertising plates (repros of the genuine ones) and one is of the Vincent Black Shadow, which is right next to my pair of 4-0-9 valve covers (Beach Boys sang another vehicle song...409).

I've seen a couple of Vincents, they are impressive motorcycles, not just for their time, but of any time.
07-22-2022, 01:43 AM   #261
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7kLWJNeV4&ab_channel=joni36

Chris
That was awesome Chris, thanks for sharing.
07-22-2022, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That was awesome Chris, thanks for sharing.

This one from Austin City Limits is a bit higher quality:

Chris

08-05-2022, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When we were dating my wife was still riding horses.

Chris
09-10-2022, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #264
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Still making knives.
Yes, you are indeed.........

The making of a bread knife - PentaxForums.com
11-29-2023, 09:53 AM - 5 Likes   #265
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just finished building a new hi-fi stand/LP storage unit.

11-29-2023, 12:37 PM   #266
Pentaxian

Just started to collect wristwatches. Nothing expensive, just designs I like, so far: 2 Bertuccis, 1 Timex, and hopefully by next week a Militado chronograph.
12-01-2023, 06:22 PM   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just started getting into leatherwork. Made a carry handle for one of my ONA camera bags very close to what the factory makes (to the point where I actually found the hardware they use on the bags and purchased the same) - it looks like original equipment.

So now I have a list of projects to get through! Acquiring the tools can be expensive, though I think it's probably one of the cheaper hobbies!
12-02-2023, 02:14 AM   #268
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Just started to collect wristwatches. Nothing expensive, just designs I like, so far: 2 Bertuccis, 1 Timex, and hopefully by next week a Militado chronograph.
Another member here from your part of the country is into wristwatches. His profile: Docrwm - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

He hasn't been active for a bit, although he used to be a prolific poster.
12-02-2023, 03:26 AM - 3 Likes   #269
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe I've never posted to this thread. I've tried many things over the years, but there are a couple important hobbies that I think define me more than like work and other similar irrelevant stuff.

Windsurfing

I grew up in the middle of the great windsurfing boom of late 70's and early 80's. I can't remember when I started. It took me a couple of years to be strong enough to pull up the sail from water, but from that day on I've been sailing. I do have plenty of gear to keep me going from 1 to 20m/s winds. For a long time I kept this as a non competitive hobby, thought I flirted with some GPS Speedsurfing, but lately I have started competing in Racaboard class. The classic style of windsurfing.

Snowboarding

Thought I'm also excellent skier, I define myself as snowboarder. I missed the early days cause I was too young to build my own boards, but I started in late 80's when boards came into the shops in Finland. From the beginning I preferred hard boots and alpine style of snowboarding when on the groomed slopes. Spent years as pro snowboarder and trainer in my youth. I'm still around 50 days per year on the slope. I also do enjoy powder, but I mainly do it when there is plenty of new powder to ride. I rarely have time to spend a day to hike out to search powder away from the lifts.

12-02-2023, 08:04 AM - 3 Likes   #270

Besides photography, I am also a collector of vintage computers; specifically, Commodores. In my collection, I have a Vic 20, a Commodore 64, a Commodore 16, a Commodore 128, an Amiga 500, and an Amiga 2000. I also have a spare Vic, a spare 128, and a spare 500. I have JiffyDOS installed in my 64 and 128 computers, and usually use a uIEC to load programs from an SD card. I have a collection of cartridges for my Vic 20, but most importantly I have the Megacart on which has some programs I wrote as it was a project I participated in. I have a 1701, a 1702, a 1084, and a 1084s monitors. I have both the black Datasette for the C16, two beige Datasettes, three 1541 drives and a 1571 drive and floppy disks that still work today from my childhood. I also have an MPS 801, 802, 803, and 1250 printers. Everything works except the Amiga 2000; its original power supply went bad, which ruined the multi-kickstart chip I had in it. It's on the project bench waiting for a new Kickstart. This computer also has a PC XT emulator card with the 5.25" floppy, a GoTek drive, and a GVP SCSI controller with RAM expansion. I'm thinking of selling the Amiga 2000 after I fix it, as well as selling off my spares. One of the things I did was to write Sudoku for my unexpanded Vic 20. Most of my collection was free or almost free, much like my Pentax M mount lens and film camera collection.

Here's me at World of Commodore in 2016 after getting my Commodore 16 and 128 autographed by the engineer who made them; Bil Herd. Photo taken with my Pentax K-x by my son.