Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My other major hobby is my 600 liter marine aquarium. It's complete filled with SPS and LPS corals, with softies, sponges, clams and - of course - fish. All the corals came as frags from other reefers like me. Nothing came out of the wild. Besides the obvious advantage of having less strain on my concious, that also helps keep the costs down. Still it was an expensive hobby untill I started mixing my own salts and supplements.

Automating everything was the biggest challenge and the biggest fun. It's plumbed directly to our water mains and regulated by an auto-topoff system. A big mixbed ion-exchange filter removes all the heavy metals and other contaminents from our tapwater before it enters the aquarium. Then there's an auto dosing system that doses 6 elements that are consumed by the corals. Even feeding is done automatically. This system enable us to be away, for holidays and sorts, for up to two weeks. Of course I can keep an eye on it, and adjust settings, from anywhere with my smartphone.

03-31-2014, 12:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
awesome, i really like songs #2 and #3, lovely melodies
Well thank you!
I am thinking about uploading the complete album at some point, for a free download.
Have to double check with the other singer/songwriter, since more than half of the songs were written by him.
Here two that are on the album that are 100% mine...

https://soundcloud.com/wullemaha/vmp-poor-man-mean-woman

https://soundcloud.com/wullemaha/vmp-far-from-home
03-31-2014, 01:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

here's one of my guitar covers /.\

i just feel like i should do it over again with the music in in.....cuz it sounds pretty boring.....here it is:

here's the version which i played:

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2014 at 01:06 ----------

i'm not nearly as good as you but still haha
03-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #34
Veteran Member

i'm not nearly as good as you
I hope you did not mean me, because I am also not really good at playing guitar - from a technical point of view, I play only simple stuff!

But one thing I like about both photography and making music: it's not all about technique, it's supposed to be about expressing feelings.
Just look at the old blues masters... Son House always struck as one of the most passionate, impressive singers/players, although the things he played are way beyond simple - but that's not what it was about...

03-31-2014, 02:03 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
I hope you did not mean me, because I am also not really good at playing guitar - from a technical point of view, I play only simple stuff!

But one thing I like about both photography and making music: it's not all about technique, it's supposed to be about expressing feelings.
Just look at the old blues masters... Son House always struck as one of the most passionate, impressive singers/players, although the things he played are way beyond simple - but that's not what it was about...
Son House - Death Letter - YouTube
Yeah, you're right about how music and photography are about expressing feelings, they are both art forms and art is created by feelings.

I like that song..but the way he plays it..the fingers on my right hand started hurting just from watching him strum the strings hahaha
03-31-2014, 02:21 AM   #36
Veteran Member

but the way he plays it..the fingers on my right hand started hurting just from watching him strum the strings hahaha
Jep, he was ripping and punching those strings... sure a nice sound, but I never managed to play that style myself.
As you say - even thinking about it brings the pain ;-)

---------- Post added 03-31-14 at 06:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
My other major hobby is my 600 liter marine aquarium. It's complete filled with SPS and LPS corals, with softies, sponges, clams and - of course - fish. All the corals came as frags from other reefers like me. Nothing came out of the wild. Besides the obvious advantage of having less strain on my concious, that also helps keep the costs down. Still it was an expensive hobby untill I started mixing my own salts and supplements. Automating everything was the biggest challenge and the biggest fun. It's plumbed directly to our water mains and regulated by an auto-topoff system. A big mixbed ion-exchange filter removes all the heavy metals and other contaminents from our tapwater before it enters the aquarium. Then there's an auto dosing system that doses 6 elements that are consumed by the corals. Even feeding is done automatically. This system enable us to be away, for holidays and sorts, for up to two weeks. Of course I can keep an eye on it, and adjust settings, from anywhere with my smartphone.
Nice! Did you create the controls for that yourself (microcontroller/PLC/...)?
03-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Son House
Whoa!, Never heard him before. Thanks.

03-31-2014, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Diving, although I haven't been underwater for over 6 months... Been doing more kayaking instead. In all honesty, though, life has thrown enough at me lately that doing *anything* takes a conscious effort to get up and do it... Being out on the kayak is mentally stress-relieving, but it is a bit of a pain to get it all loaded up and to the water (especially after a day's work on short winter days...) so it doesn't happen nearly as much as I'd like.

Jim
03-31-2014, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Current hobby projects.
I like restoring old cameras and building metal bodied medium format cameras.

Here is a 2x3 Graflex with a Graflite flash that I adapted to hold a little vintage electronic flash
https://app.box.com/s/gz4dl6b6u2c1c0gg0dmv

I became interested in how lenses work and the history.
Here is the 75 mm lens for a camera I am presently building from an old process camera.
https://app.box.com/s/z60i39wae08md61vrca8
I found a prescription for a similar lens so a model can be made.
https://app.box.com/s/a939jv9chbnp8c3pzstm
Lens prescriptions are very hard to find.

The correct name for this lens, I learned from my friend on another forum, is "6/4 double Gauss"
Also known as a Speed Panchro. Originally designed in 1920's as a wide aperture movie lens, the type became prolific and was used in 1970's as the 50mm standard lens by some camera manufacturers including Pentax.

Here is the lens in shutter, set up on my crude medium format lens bench
https://app.box.com/s/nxln3qutfguwwo414d1i

I recently repaired a 1974 Tektronix oscilloscope. Well it is not quite restored to original. Some parts were not obtainable so had to machine some adaptors for pots etc from older Tek scopes.
https://app.box.com/s/zjxt84zg4zn0zx1r9at0
It now has an easy life on the electronics bench mainly timing old shutters.
That scope type 466 was my favorite and I used them a lot through my career until digital ones came along.

Some of these photos were taken with another weird lens, possibly a NASA movie camera lens adapted to M43.

Best wishes to those who also have weird hobbies!

Last edited by wombat2go; 03-31-2014 at 12:58 PM.
04-03-2014, 01:26 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Aside from photography, I like outdoor things (skiing/hiking/skating/kayaking and so on), and I play clarinet. I'm also an avid doodler, but I don't know if that counts as a hobby or a bad habit.
04-03-2014, 01:50 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rock climbing and archery are the two main ones for me. I have been finding it harder to make much time for either of them recently though - life seems to get in the way.
04-03-2014, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

One of my other main hobbies is making my own DJ mixes. The demographic here at PF is a bit older and surely won't appreciate these. But I make them for my own enjoyment and for anyone else that wants to listen. I have never played at a club, nor do I have any great desire to.

edit: ^^^ That's not me

A Nu Disco, House and Funk set (totally live, no planning or pre-pairing went into it so a few mistakes)
https://soundcloud.com/dj-drc1/summer-funky-mix

A little Electro/Club style set
https://soundcloud.com/dj-drc1/electropumpupmix
04-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Fishing has never held any interest to me. The last time I went fishing was probably in 1960.

But then, I'm not overly fond of seafood and definitely won't eat crab or lobster. The smell of seafood is revolting.

I never found diving to be cheap! The gear cost a fortune and so does hiring a boat to go out to reefs.
Free diving only requires a mask, snorkel, fins and a spear gun. Well it also requires one hell of a set of lungs to get down deep. The only thing it seems I have lost is the strong set of lungs. Seems the right side of my diaphragm isn't working anymore. After a few years hiatus from diving I am going to see if I can. Worst that can happen is I don't make it topside before I run out of air.
04-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Worst that can happen is I don't make it topside before I run out of air.
I can imagine that would be seriously embarrassing.
04-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #45
Pentaxian

After dropping $600 on a pair of tires and an inspection for the Harley today, I think I can say I have found a cure for LBA. However, after hanging around the shop of a couple of hours waiting for the work to be done, I had to really battle something worse. Chrome Buying Addiction!